The Indian Michael Jackson

IT.com

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Michael-Jackson.in (not mine) has received a bid of $60 and is on auction at Sedo - interesting to see this.

Unless you're going to set up a non-commercial fan site, owning a celebrity domain name is risky. Many celebrities are winning back their domains under UDRP claims etc. I'm sure we'd see the same results under INDRP cases as well.

In my opinion, if a domain name is simply trading off the goodwill of a celebrity, that celebrity deserves to win the domain from the domain owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
what about an Acronym fmj - For Michael Jackson?

Cheers
Corey

Hello coreyg, that's a good question. The domain 'FMJ' does not actually have the celebrity's name in it.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether it would still infringe on any third party rights or not. Anyone else know the answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the auction has been cancelled:

This auction has been cancelled by Sedo. If you are interested in making an offer on this domain, please click here

what about an Acronym fmj - For Michael Jackson?
Don't see any risk with MJ association, since you have chosen to expand it as For Michael Jackson and visitors would get to know that only when they visit the site, the name fmj doesn't give any clue or relationship with MJ. Domain name containing initials of celebrity would not fall under TM / or patent violation.

However fmjsoft / fmjonline and other fmj variants may come up to stake claim (if they have anything patented ... )

Thx

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom