Success.co.in

IT.com
35% owned by Indians? That means 60-65% owned by big money domainers who got there first. If the Indian authorities want to change the rules and want to get nationalistic and protectionist they will have to deal with a very angry opposition with a lot of money in the game.

During the sunrise or sunset period (whatever it was called) for .asia domains the .asia authorities required that people who wanted to reg names have Asian mailing addresses. At least one European registrar sold the use of an Asian address as part of its .asia registration package. How hard will it be to rent out Indian addresses? In no time flat the percentage of domains owned by 'Indians' can change. The present owners will be very motivated to protect their interests.

Actually this talk about "domains will be cancelled" is mostly scare mongering, for what reason is quite apparent, a lot of people missed the boat and now want a piece of the pie.

TMs are always claimable, and not just by local companies - a lot of decisions are for international tms, but you still have to go through the INDRP process, for EACH domain.

Out of approximately 500,000 second and third level .in domains registered, the total number of INDRP decisions is only 90. There are 10 pending cases. Only 16 decisions are wrong and some are currently being contested in court. Only one of the upcoming 10 is a generic.

That means an incidence of 0.0002 disputes per 100 registrations.

While INregistry does consider parking and offer to sell as 'bad faith' AND has reduced the cost of filing to $250 (from $1000) - I still don't see very many disputes increasing for generics. After all, its $250 + lawyers fees + a chance of losing. Not to mention a possibility of the INDRP decision being disputed via court.

And while INregistry can change its policies, I don't think it can cancel 1000s of registrations at will, nor will it make economic sense for them to do it.. There is a court system in India and due process. And INregistry is now a registered company, also liable to the laws of the land.

mwzd, is right as i mentioned in my post its all discussion i should not of really discussed anything that actually went on in that meeting but i know many people here and they have known me in the industry for many years on this and various forums. So i felt obligated to pass on any info even if heresay or top guns in industry talking in regards to said topic i like to be in the know and also letting friends know at the end of the day its money and we are all in this together.

As for Jeff statement in regards to .co.uk if a company is registered at companies house as a limited company and joe blogs came along and registered a .co.uk name which is similar to the registered company. They will loose it simple as that, my time at nominet i saw quite a few of these claims come in where the company got it.

At the end of the day guys keep registering domains and buying them but common sense says keep very clear of tm, corporate or even Indian company names so do your home work then all is fine especially if they are now looking at there market deeply.

I will keep my ears to the ground and if i hear anything more i will let you know i am at nominet via invite in June for another .uk discussion so will be interesting if anything gets mentioned there.

Actually this talk about "domains will be cancelled" is mostly scare mongering, for what reason is quite apparent, a lot of people missed the boat and now want a piece of the pie.

TMs are always claimable, and not just by local companies - a lot of decisions are for international tms, but you still have to go through the INDRP process, for EACH domain.

Out of approximately 500,000 second and third level .in domains registered, the total number of INDRP decisions is only 90. There are 10 pending cases. Only 16 decisions are wrong and some are currently being contested in court. Only one of the upcoming 10 is a generic.

That means an incidence of 0.0002 disputes per 100 registrations.

While INregistry does consider parking and offer to sell as 'bad faith' AND has reduced the cost of filing to $250 (from $1000) - I still don't see very many disputes increasing for generics. After all, its $250 + lawyers fees + a chance of losing. Not to mention a possibility of the INDRP decision being disputed via court.

And while INregistry can change its policies, I don't think it can cancel 1000s of registrations at will, nor will it make economic sense for them to do it.. There is a court system in India and due process. And INregistry is now a registered company, also liable to the laws of the land.

Thanks for your insight mwzd!

As the value of .in domains increases, it will be natural to see more INDRP disputes. While it's not a good thing, it's a good sign that .in domains are getting more important. While some INDRP cases have been decided really badly, a heck of a lot more UDRP cases have been decided really badly.

if a company is registered at companies house as a limited company and joe blogs came along and registered a .co.uk name which is similar to the registered company. They will loose it simple as that, my time at nominet i saw quite a few of these claims come in where the company got it.

Hi Tipsfromthetop, if a company does not own a trademark for its name, in certain situations it can still claim common law trademark rights. Therefore, it's no surprise to me that domains that are names registered with Companies House are being lost in Nominet .uk disputes.

common sense says keep very clear of tm, corporate or even Indian company names so do your home work then all is fine especially if they are now looking at there market deeply.

I agree!

As the value of .in domains increases, it will be natural to see more INDRP disputes. While it's not a good thing, it's a good sign that .in domains are getting more important. While some INDRP cases have been decided really badly, a heck of a lot more UDRP cases have been decided really badly.

You're spot on as usual Jeff.

Your portfolios are getting more valuable, just use them in a way that doesn't create any liability for you.

Though thats no guarantee that people wont come after you, it helps if you have to dispute an INDRP.

Not sure how all this is related to success.co.in. Jeff, wanted to thank you for your time at the auction and appreciate the open forum chat. Wishing you all the 'success' with the newest domain in your portfolio.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom