State of the Market

IT.com

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Rick Schwartz said this today and I believe it's very accurate:

If you don’t need to sell, the auction format we have is NOT designed for you. The market is soft and to be honest, it may be in your best interest to wait for the next pop. Nobody is forcing you to try and sell when things are not that good.

http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/...and-revised-guaranteed-placement-program.html

IMHO:
* The market is definitely not good right now, not just for .in, but even .com
* Auctions are very risky and are no longer a great way to sell domains
* It's best not to sell right now unless you really need the cash (or get a great deal).

I hate to be negative, but I think it's better to be realistic than wear rose-coloured glasses. I'm still very optimistic about the future, both for domains in general and .in in particular, I just think that this year has been a difficult one and will continue to be difficult for a while to come.

Posted on my blog a couple of weeks ago.

The market is in the worst slump for years across the board.

Thousands of names dropping daily in every extension and most players with large portfolios are culling quite strongly particularly those names that don't pay for themselves.

Sales prices have tumbled,$199 for quality keyword .co.in hardly causing a ripple.It really should be a buyers market but even they are in short supply,too many names already perhaps.

This has been happening over the last year or more and it is likely to be quite some time before there is a revival.

But if you can stay the course and pick up the occasional quality name along the way then you should see an upturn in a year or two-with luck!

Global economy is down,and the domaining industry cant escape that. S51888 is right that things will bounce back sooner or later. After all, this is India's internet boom and growth is guaranteed,even if the global economy is currently acting up.

one last point- We can actually sell our .in domains now.....if we are willing to settle for the recently depressed but profitable prices the market has set. I can use myself as an example- i have decided not to sell my .in domains for $300-$500 even though that is profitable. I did that because i know the industry is growing and prices will(hopefully)increase in the future, even if not at a fast rate.I prefer the $800-$1500 end user price range, but the market isn't very strong to offer that to me now.

Bottom line- if you want to profit currently,you probably have to lower your expectations and use volume to make up for the lower profit margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Global economy is down,and the domaining industry cant escape that. S51888 is right that things will bounce back sooner or later. After all, this is India's internet boom and growth is guaranteed,even if the global economy is currently acting up.

one last point- We can actually sell our .in domains now.....if we are willing to settle for the recently depressed but profitable prices the market has set. I can use myself as an example- i have decided not to sell my .in domains for $300-$500 even though that is profitable. I did that because i know the industry is growing and prices will(hopefully)increase in the future, even if not at a fast rate.I prefer the $800-$1500 end user price range, but the market isn't very strong to offer that to me now.

Bottom line- if you want to profit currently,you probably have to lower your expectations and use volume to make up for the lower profit margin.

Correct.

Profit is selling something for more that you paid for it.

Taking in to account that domains have to be renewed and over a period of time inflation has to be factored in.

The main problem with most domainers is expectation.

For instance,you will have seen me selling good quality names for $199 or less.I guess with renewals etc each name has cost me around $70 so even at $199 I am still looking at a profit of around 200% over 5 years? That's quite good isn't it?

Sure the buyers may well turn some of them for 10 or 20 times what they paid me but once I have sold then I have no emotional attachment and have moved on.If I did have an emotional attachment I would be a complete headcase having now sold over 1000 .co.in/.in. :p

The holy grail of our business is the end user but they are very few and far between and often buy names you or I who,know what we are doing::),would not consider registering.Wait around for only them and all you are likely to have is a headache and an empty wallet.

Sure it will turn around but there is I guarantee none of the guru's know for sure when.

BTW -more name s coming at even lower prices. ;)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom