Starting Hosting Company

IT.com

Simone

What would it take to start a hosting company? Not that I'm thinking about it, but I just want to know for the sake of it what's needed to do so.

There is an article about how to start a web hosting company in India here. It states that you don't need thousands of dollars in order to do so and lays out the process in a really simple way.

Good to know, but what are the actual steps in that process? What skills, knowledge, whatever else does one need in order to get started?

You don't need a lot to get started. Nonetheless, though, the marketing is tough. For instance, if 100 guys are selling 1 USD hosting on some forum, then why would you think your biz would stand out? It's basically market saturation and can only be overcome with advertising - but quality ads are thru the roof in price.

You don't need a lot to get started. Nonetheless, though, the marketing is tough. For instance, if 100 guys are selling 1 USD hosting on some forum, then why would you think your biz would stand out? It's basically market saturation and can only be overcome with advertising - but quality ads are thru the roof in price.
I agree with you completely. Web hosting looks like one of those fields that are very saturated. You wouldn't think of starting a web hosting company without looking at the possibility of buying one from someone.

Buying something that is already built is always better than trying to start your own especially if you have no experience in the business. I think there are much easier and more profitable ways to make money than starting one's own hosting company.

Running a hosting company is a lot of work. Internet access issues, hardware issues, spammers sending emails from your hosting ip and the work goes on. Getting calls at all hours of the day and night that websites don't work, servers down, etc etc etc. Just wasn't worth it to me (tried it one time). You can be a reseller though with no experience and no hands on. Many registrars will let you be a reseller and they give you a website that you can put your own branding on. Don't expect to make much money unless you are willing to work hard with advertising (usually paid advertising). I am a domain and hosting reseller and generate about $2000.00 per year after 8 years being a reseller. On the good side, I have no calls at midnight, no hands on and absolute do not touch anything except to modify prices now and then.

I think starting hosting company can be really good option. You can use it to resell to the local business. And with enough contacts, you can have the recurring income out of it. Though not a lot of profit can be expected. But if you purchase the dedicated server option then that would surely be a good money saver. You can have more users in low cost and sell many plans under.

What I was always wondering about starting something like my own hosting company wasn't related to hardware, issues, service. It was more about the law. How exactly does law view such companies, how does the taxing system work on these and such questions. Do you need any special certificate or you can just start straight away without any concern on these

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom