Seperate Domain Registration and Hosting

IT.com

Britney

I read somewhere a while back that it's good practice to separate where you get your domain name registered from where you get your site hosted - meaning that you should use two different service providers for these. What is the reason behind this?

I would think that it is better to register your domain elsewhere. I think that in this way, there is added security. Try to imagine someone hacking your website. They can easily transfer the domain from your website (in my view).

Is that the only reason why someone might want to register those two separately? I need to understand if I'm to take the necessary security measures where my site is concerned.

I don't think it really matters. Nonetheless, though, my domains are normally registered at places separate from the hosting mainly due to habit. However, though, one should note that a separate domain registrar is often cheaper and it often costs extra to move the registrar - but normally the move is equivalent to simply renewing it for another year.

I don't think it makes any difference. Except for the part your hosting is going to be on different IP. And domain mapping done through different IP provider for domain. So it all comes down to what you find usable. I didn't find anything useful when I kept domain at godaddy and hosting at Hawkhost. So it all comes down to how you choose to work.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom