Security and cloud storage

marsh

I once came across some clause (online) where Google was listing steps it takes/had taken to ensure that it protects customer data. There are security mechanisms like the use of SSL but in my view, such steps should be made explicit to anyone visiting your site.

Again, how secure is it to store such information in the cloud plus how do you go about choosing a reputable provider?

Mikhaela

I store a lot of things on the cloud, but for the most part they aren't top secret files and documents. I do believe that nothing is 100% safe, so all of my highly secret files are only stored on my computer and two different usb sticks.

JackD

Country flag
I store a lot of things on the cloud, but for the most part they aren't top secret files and documents. I do believe that nothing is 100% safe, so all of my highly secret files are only stored on my computer and two different usb sticks.
I couldn't agree more. If it is imperative to keep prying eyes off your files, do not store on the cloud. Hackers always seem to be one step ahead of security. Keep the most important documents and files on multiple USB sticks. One in your home another in a safe deposit box.

marsh

I couldn't agree more. If it is imperative to keep prying eyes off your files, do not store on the cloud. Hackers always seem to be one step ahead of security. Keep the most important documents and files on multiple USB sticks. One in your home another in a safe deposit box.
I get the drift here because it is much safer to hold sensitive information in this way. Having said that, how then can customer data be secured? I don't see any other option apart from cloud storage?

JackD

Country flag
For customer data, it would be unreasonable to store locally on a USB drive. In this case you have no choice but to use cloud storage. My recommendation here would be to use every security option offered by the cloud service and ONLY use reputable cloud providers. You may have to pay more for the service but tech support and their monitoring security should be the best. Of the major domain registrars that I have been looking into in the last month, just about all use Amazon Cloud services. That's how I would choose my cloud provider. If the big boys trust them, I guess I could too. Just remember, there is no fool proof method of security. Keep up to date with the security measures the provider is offering and monitor access to your data.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T What is EPP Code? Tips To Improve Your Domain Security Non-Indian Domains 0
G What you need to know about domain security and EPP codes - GoDaddy blog Resources 0
Prashant Sharan BHP's Chief Information Security Officer loses UDRP against a criticism site Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Web.com finds possible security incident at its registrars Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan ICANN Audit: 60 gTLDs registries might have security loopholes Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan ICANN’s conferencing software has been struck with webcam security bug Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Google launches Safe.page to improve web security smarts Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan ICANN puts an end to Adobe Connect over security, pricing Registrars 0
JulienJ Data leak security glitch screws up ICANN 61 for thousands Legal Issues and Dispute 0
D How to end criminal trespassing of property by intelligence,security agency employees in panaji, goa Legal Issues and Dispute 0
D Best home security system for indian domain investors Legal Issues and Dispute 0
domainking131 GoDaddy sends McAfee security warning email Non-Indian Domains 1
domainking131 Up to 20 million people could get broken internet in domain security rollover The Lounge 0
domainking131 GTLDs – Email Security: number 1 reason to buy the dot com New GTLDs 4
tulip Security breach Legal Issues and Dispute 2
marsh Website security The Lounge 1
prasanna kumar 100 % Cyber Security is impossible. Webmaster Forum 3
D WordPress Security Webmaster Forum 12
domainking131 Cyber security company tries to steal domain name through UDRP Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 .Security, .Protection and .Theatre domains released globally New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Google upset with Symantec over false security certificates Webmaster Forum 0
domainking131 Verisign sues CentralNic and .XYZ over .Theatre, .Protection and .Security New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Google files UDRP Complaint for Google-Android-Security.com Non-Indian Domains 0
CyberKing Do you need solid-gold domain name security? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 4
domainking131 Security tip while Flipping!! A must know for every domainer. General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
H xxxxxxxx.com for sale (domain name is covered for security) Non-India Related Domains 0
C Security.firm.in Betting.firm.in Domain Appraisals 15
the_poet Afilias improves security for .IN Domain with DNSSEC General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
Jeff Were there Registry Security Issues? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
Ceres Twitter Security Compromised The Lounge 1
Ceres Elance.com Security Breach The Lounge 3
A SSOLV.COM (Social Security On-Line Verification) Domain Appraisals 2
Ceres Security Updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat The Lounge 0
Ceres Bottle Domains Suffers Security Breach Legal Issues and Dispute 10
Ceres Airport Security: Behavioral Screening The Lounge 6
Ceres Warning: Security Flaw in Internet Explorer The Lounge 6
Ceres PayPal Offers Security Codes to Mobile Users The Lounge 2
Ceres India to adopt new DNS Security Extensions General Indian Domain Name Discussion 6
Prashant Sharan Wholesale .cloud renewal price doubles from $7 to $15 New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan OSRAM GmbH should not have lost a UDRP involving OSAM.cloud Legal Issues and Dispute 0
T The Evolution Of Cloud Computing And Enhanced Business Efficiency Marketing Your Website 0
Prashant Sharan .CLOUD releases around 100,000 premium domains New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan .Space > .Blog and .Cloud New GTLDs 0
JulienJ Catching Up with Weebly Cloud’s Chris Sheridan The Lounge 0
anquest JetSki.SHOP Sells@EUR 4K (appx $4.5K), Splunk.CLOUD $2.2K, DR.CLUB / HQ.CLUB $2.05K Each, SEDO Sales New GTLDs 0
anquest The DN Journal TOP 20 | Insight.CLOUD Sells@€2K (appx. $2.2K) | % of .COMs among the TOP 20: 65% New GTLDs 0
anquest Insight.CLOUD Sells@EUR 2K (approx. US$2,197) | The SEDO.com List of Sales (via TheDomains.com) New GTLDs 1
anquest Cloud.TOP Sells@CN¥ 31.2K (appx. $4.65K) / VPN.TOP CN¥ 15.6K (appx. $2.32K) | DN Journal T20 New GTLDs 0
anquest 'The Largest Hosting and Cloud Event in India', WHD.India, The Ritz-Carlton, Bangalore, SEP 28, 2016 Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
domainking131 .cloud passes 20,000 names on day one Non-Indian Domains 0