Same-sex relationships decriminalised in India

IT.com

Ceres

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Gay sex decriminalised in India

A court in the Indian capital, Delhi, has ruled that homosexual intercourse between consenting adults is not a criminal act.

The ruling overturns a 148-year-old colonial law which describes a same-sex relationship as an "unnatural offence".

Gay rights activists all over the country welcomed the ruling and said it was "India's Stonewall".

New York's Stonewall riot in 1969 is credited with launching the gay rights movement.

"It [the ruling] is India's Stonewall. We are elated. I think what now happens is that a lot of our fundamental rights and civic rights which were denied to us can now be reclaimed by us," activist and lawyer Aditya Bandopadhyay told the BBC.

This is a landmark ruling for human rights groups in India.

Unfortunately, this ruling is likely to be challenged by those opposed to the gay movement rights.

Saw this article yesterday and picked up SameSex.co.in on the back of it- could have potential whether the ruling stays on the books or not!

India's First LGBT Pride Store has just been launched:

We have a commitment to providing members of the community with affordable, high quality pride wear. We also respect Indian sensibilities and appreciate the need for discretion that some of our closeted friends might have. Another goal is to reach out to straight supporters, and this is why many of our products have designs that are subtle, thoughtful, and "straight friendly".

Interesting, thanks. Normally I'd be upset that they didn't choose a .in, but given the politically sensitive nature of this, a .com is a safer choice.

Saw this article yesterday and picked up SameSex.co.in on the back of it- could have potential whether the ruling stays on the books or not!

I had the same idea. I grabbed gayrights/co/in
One of those 3am spur of the moment reg.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom