Rick disses non-Americans

IT.com

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Interesting post here by Rick:

Why I Focus on the USA and .Com?? It's called Consumption!! - The Rick Schwartz Domain Name and Traffic Blog RicksBlog.com.........Home of the "Domain King"®

He basically argues that he invests in the US only because the US has the largest consumption of any country in the world. I think that there is something to that. However, it misses percentage increases in consumption. Consumption in India is likely to increase much more quickly than consumption in the US.

On a related note, I'm curious what percentage of .in domains are owned by Americans. That would be an interesting stat to know.

Why I Focus on the USA and .Com?? It's called Consumption!! - The Rick Schwartz Domain Name and Traffic Blog RicksBlog.com.........Home of the "Domain King"®

He basically argues that he invests in the US only because the US has the largest consumption of any country in the world. I think that there is something to that. However, it misses percentage increases in consumption. Consumption in India is likely to increase much more quickly than consumption in the US.

On a related note, I'm curious what percentage of .in domains are owned by Americans. That would be an interesting stat to know.

I would guess very few, IMO the percentage might be higher in the (dot) com as this would offer some protection against possible institutional corrupt practices. The % increase in India in terms of disposable income will only come with education. First with Hindi language tablets in schools and Hindi language as the main or joint first language i the judicial system.

As I commented there, Americans have been using alternative TLDs like .ME and .CO because their unofficial ccTLD, .com, is now saturated. All other countries love their ccTLDs and don't need to use other extensions in order to find decent domains. If only India started using .IN en masse...

Basically Non Indian registrant outnumbered Indian registrants till Aug.2012 in total no. of new .IN registrations but now since last few months trends are reveresed and Indian Registrants are registering more .In domains then Non indian registrant.

But till today overall .In registrations still ruled by Non Indians. If the current trend continued then in few years Indian registrant will have more .In registrations.

The reason why non Indian registrants outnumber Indian registrants is that registrants of premium domain names in India are subjected to a lot of harassment and identity theft attempts. I'll tell you my story as it unfolds.

The registrant/investor may be forced to form a family business , when all the investments online are hers alone, her family members have contributed nothing. The family members retain 100% of their investment in real estate, but the domain investor is forced to "share" the business with other family members. In such cases, since it is extremely unfair, it is better to quit working online and spread the message so that others do not ruin their lives by investing their time and money online.

More details at The hypocrisy of online companies in India | Usual

As I commented there, Americans have been using alternative TLDs like .ME and .CO because their unofficial ccTLD, .com, is now saturated. All other countries love their ccTLDs and don't need to use other extensions in order to find decent domains. If only India started using .IN en masse...

Bottom line is that every global PLC , Institution, Private company or Group default to the .com brand. The brand credibility is all important, yes cover the .in but also the com for the status and international protection.

I don't disagree with Rick's blog, its all about Buying Power..having said that, the Auto Industry saw China overtake the US/North America in total volume a few years ago. So the Buying Power for Autos in China is there..same goes for Mobile market, TV's etc.

For domain names and .com's, yes the Buying Power is still in the USA and that may not change for a long time. The table shows that we Americans hold a large majority of domain names and we were the early movers and understand the value of domain names. Although India's buying power is growing, the table shows how many Indians in India understand domain names yet.

What's funny is that Cayman Islands has more domains registered from than Netherlands (thanks to Frank Schilling and other domainers who live there)

If Tata's can purchase Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford Motor, the buying power is there at some levels but not yet trickled down...As an Indian American, in the last 20 years have seen the buying power in India go up and our buying power here in the US is in a downward trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently there is no money in India:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/w...alows-even-in-disrepair-command-millions.html

Yet, apparently real estate prices in some places of New Delhi are more expensive than New York or London.

Good point, it tells me people understand real estate and there are premium locations and limited supply. Now when companies and entrepreneurs in India realize that Premium Domain names are also in limited supply, prices will rise.

eCommerce has to truly emerge in India, it hasn't yet. So Rick is right for now..

There is money but real estate investors are well protected, but early domain investors/developers or experienced webmasters get very little support . That is why people prefer to invest in real estate.

eCommerce has to truly emerge in India, it hasn't yet. So Rick is right for now..

When he started buying .com, ecommerce hadn't emerged yet in the US. The trend in India is slower, but inevitable.

When he started buying .com, ecommerce hadn't emerged yet in the US. The trend in India is slower, but inevitable.

I don't doubt that...

Honestly, I don't really need Rick to see everything that we see. He is, like everyone else limited by their individual experiences.

It will be interesting to see if cctlds are more valued than the corresponding .com domain name. I haven't seen it yet, maybe possible with .de, or .cn.

One way rick is right, i have been buying .com, .net domains from last 8 years and i have been buying .in domains from last couple of years..

The value what .com hold is unbelievable, Also with the development you get quality advertisers, direct advertisers and so many things. Timely payouts, everything is smoother and nicer, yes it has high competition though.

i have been developing .in domains and i only see adsense as the revenue option for a developed site, I have contacted few advertisers directly for some of the niches, firstly most of them are not interested, many doesnt know how it will work, and if some guys know and are interested they offered me Rs 5 to Rs 10 per lead, Really ridiculous.

I dont think this trend is going to change anytime sooner, most of them dont understand the value of a quality domain and the traffic. Im saying most and not all. I know few do understand but most of them dont.

Most of the poeple or companies dont find there excat domain available they will add some prefix or suffix to the domain and register them. This all mentality is not going to change sooner.

I ask you all domainers one thing, when you try to sell your .in or .co.in to other you always give a higher price, and when you want to buy a domain from some other you always ask for a low amount. you will ask to buy your domain for 1000's and when you buy the domain you expect in 100's.

Lots and lots of things need to be changed and its going to take lots and lots of time to get the true value of your property.

But i do agree .in has a huge scope ahead, and best is development if you want to make real money. Just holding your domains and expecting to sell for 1000's is just stupidity in my book.

Just we need to hold our .in names for long long time.......

One way rick is right, i have been buying .com, .net domains from last 8 years and i have been buying .in domains from last couple of years..

The value what .com hold is unbelievable, Also with the development you get quality advertisers, direct advertisers and so many things. Timely payouts, everything is smoother and nicer, yes it has high competition though.

i have been developing .in domains and i only see adsense as the revenue option for a developed site, I have contacted few advertisers directly for some of the niches, firstly most of them are not interested, many doesnt know how it will work, and if some guys know and are interested they offered me Rs 5 to Rs 10 per lead, Really ridiculous.

I dont think this trend is going to change anytime sooner, most of them dont understand the value of a quality domain and the traffic. Im saying most and not all. I know few do understand but most of them dont.

Most of the poeple or companies dont find there excat domain available they will add some prefix or suffix to the domain and register them. This all mentality is not going to change sooner.

I ask you all domainers one thing, when you try to sell your .in or .co.in to other you always give a higher price, and when you want to buy a domain from some other you always ask for a low amount. you will ask to buy your domain for 1000's and when you buy the domain you expect in 100's.

Lots and lots of things need to be changed and its going to take lots and lots of time to get the true value of your property.

But i do agree .in has a huge scope ahead, and best is development if you want to make real money. Just holding your domains and expecting to sell for 1000's is just stupidity in my book.

Just we need to hold our .in names for long long time.......

GetAddicted; Good qualified comment, The North American & the mature European online markets are the templates for the future. Lots of viewers on InForum = very few comments. Education is everything, a digital democratic generation will not wait for institutional inertia to change. Hold your best TLD's

If the adsense account is disabled, there are very few lucrative PPC options for .in domains.

Thank you getaddicted! I am glad you agree, that holding for longterm and DEVELOPING is the only way forward for us now. Hold for the future and develop NOW to increase traffic and drive forward quality!

This will be interesting to follow; Candy.com hurt by Google penalty - Domain Name Wire it would seem that Candy com SEO people crossed the line somewhere or that Google (the brand) is battling it out with the leading brand (dot com) for the long term cognitive right to be the default search choice. The Turing machine or Google, in the end for the foreseeable future language is limited, generic's aligned with the international or CC brand is the default brand. Very, very few people do not buy into top brand status in all markets. IMO you carry the new brand name on the generic TLD brand platform that serves the new brand common elements.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom