Revenue Loss From Amazon's Affiliate Program

IT.com

Foroux

I've been an Amazon Associate for a while now and I came to rely on it. Unfortunately, in March Amazon's new payout took effect and I've seen my earnings diminish considerably. I know I'm not the only one. How have you worked around the loss in revenue?

I am not an Amazon Associate (I have considered but not followed through yet) but I do wonder how the payout change diminishes earnings. Did the clickthru rate or commissions change or some other calculation?

The payout scale changed dramatically in my opinion. It's no longer based on the volume of buyers sent Amazon's way from the affiliate's link. It used to pay out according to your numbers. The more you sold, the more you made up to 8.5%. Starting in March, the only payout scale changed to a flat rate percentage based on what you sold - specifically what category the item belongs in. Some categories pay quite a bit more than others like Amazon coins and luxury makeup. If your blog or website is not already themed towards luxe beauty items do you think your audience is going to click through your Amazon Associates link on your say so about a fabulous blush? Maybe, maybe not. I suspect it would seem out of place and like a money grab to your regular readers if you begin reviewing those items when you hadn't before. Worse, the flat rate percentage is much lower overall and a little confusing because some items seem like they could apply to more than category. The program used be a nice little earner for me but that's significantly dropped.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear about the change. I guess Amazon is just like most other places and they are getting greedy.

I'm surprised you aren't already an affiliate, JackD. Is there something else you've found that's better at brining in revenue? I recommend Amazon Associates because Amazon is a popular place to shop and people feel comfortable spending their money there. The Amazon affiliate program is well known so my readers know that clicking through is not a scam out to steal their credit card numbers. Amazon does pay out and I've never felt that I was getting cheated like I have with other affiliates. It's also one of the more lucrative affiliates and easy to get started with. Even with the changes.

No, I haven't found anything else that pays very well either. I have Google Adsense ads on my parked pages and the payout there is not very good either. I will look into Amazon again. It might be my best option even with the changes. Thanks!

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom