Revenue Loss From Amazon's Affiliate Program

Foroux

I've been an Amazon Associate for a while now and I came to rely on it. Unfortunately, in March Amazon's new payout took effect and I've seen my earnings diminish considerably. I know I'm not the only one. How have you worked around the loss in revenue?

JackD

Country flag
I am not an Amazon Associate (I have considered but not followed through yet) but I do wonder how the payout change diminishes earnings. Did the clickthru rate or commissions change or some other calculation?

Foroux

The payout scale changed dramatically in my opinion. It's no longer based on the volume of buyers sent Amazon's way from the affiliate's link. It used to pay out according to your numbers. The more you sold, the more you made up to 8.5%. Starting in March, the only payout scale changed to a flat rate percentage based on what you sold - specifically what category the item belongs in. Some categories pay quite a bit more than others like Amazon coins and luxury makeup. If your blog or website is not already themed towards luxe beauty items do you think your audience is going to click through your Amazon Associates link on your say so about a fabulous blush? Maybe, maybe not. I suspect it would seem out of place and like a money grab to your regular readers if you begin reviewing those items when you hadn't before. Worse, the flat rate percentage is much lower overall and a little confusing because some items seem like they could apply to more than category. The program used be a nice little earner for me but that's significantly dropped.

Last edited:

JackD

Country flag
Wow, sorry to hear about the change. I guess Amazon is just like most other places and they are getting greedy.

Foroux

I'm surprised you aren't already an affiliate, JackD. Is there something else you've found that's better at brining in revenue? I recommend Amazon Associates because Amazon is a popular place to shop and people feel comfortable spending their money there. The Amazon affiliate program is well known so my readers know that clicking through is not a scam out to steal their credit card numbers. Amazon does pay out and I've never felt that I was getting cheated like I have with other affiliates. It's also one of the more lucrative affiliates and easy to get started with. Even with the changes.

JackD

Country flag
No, I haven't found anything else that pays very well either. I have Google Adsense ads on my parked pages and the payout there is not very good either. I will look into Amazon again. It might be my best option even with the changes. Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan CentralNic First Half results are out ; Revenue increases by 18% Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan CentralNic's parking revenue grows and more than balances the slump in its registrars business Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan CentralNic H1 2020 revenue has surpassed $110 million Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Verisign News !! : .com renewals are lowest in years, but Q2 revenue is up by 2.6% Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Tucows Q1 2020 revenue and profits grows Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Q1 2020 domain sale brings $85.85 million revenue to Escrow.com Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan GoDaddy is growing: Domains business gets $356 million Q1-2020 Revenue Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan MarkMonitor's parent Clarivate slashes its revenue guidance this year due to COVID19 Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan CentralNic revenue up 95% to $109.2 M in 2019 Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan ICANN reduces it revenue outlook for the next year by 8% Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Radix has $21M revenue in 2019 Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Verisign bids farewell to 2019 with $1.23 billion revenue Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Inorganic growth drives CentralNic’s revenue - zooms to $109 M in 2019 Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Radix hit $3M in premium domain revenue in 2019 Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Top Level Design reveals .gay prices and pledges 20% of revenue to charity New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Revenue on throttle as Verisign adds 1.27 million domains Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Sanofi and Philips lose $46k in Revenue Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan GoDaddy's earning are out. Revenue is +10% from last year. Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Mgilmour: Part 3 – Traffic Test – Improving the Revenue Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Donuts has earned $53 million from premium domain revenue Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Tucows net revenue and income slid Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Revenue dips as Brexit whacks .eu in 2018 Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Revenue falls after switch to WW .com Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Domain Resellers' providence lies domain “Savings”, not Sales “Revenue” Resources 0
JulienJ GoDaddy adds "Estimated Monthly Revenue" this month Registrars 0
JulienJ NameSilo releases Marketplace revenue numbers The Lounge 0
JulienJ Ad Revenue Down? Here’s the Latest Things That Could Be Affecting Your Revenue Marketing Your Website 0
JulienJ GoDaddy “for sale” tweak leads to 41% more aftermarket sales revenue The Lounge 0
JulienJ GoDaddy’s domain name revenue grows by 14% in 2017 to over $1 billion Registrars 0
JulienJ New gTLD revenue cut by HALF in ICANN budget New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Tucows reports increase of revenue because of acquisition of Enom and domain business growth Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 GoDaddy report: total revenue up 23.3%, domains revenue up 14.8% Non-Indian Domains 0
Kimla 80% of ad revenue for parking Parking 1
domainking131 Tucows Q2 revenue goes up to $84 million with the help of eNom Registrars 0
pioneerauthor How Do I Know If A Revenue Sharing Site Pays? Webmaster Forum 0
K More revenue from domains Parking 5
domainking131 Namecheap lands on Inc. 5000 with $76 million in revenue Registrars 0
domainking131 Verisign Reports: Revenue up 9%: Has Operating Margin of 61.5% Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 The First Month Of .VIP (infographic); 418,000 Domains; $6M+ Revenue New GTLDs 0
domainking131 The First Month Of .VIP (infographic); 418,000 Domains; $6M+ Revenue New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Local Sites With Revenue Over $1M Annually Webmaster Forum 1
domainking131 CentralNic Profit Triples in 2015; Revenue Up 70% The Lounge 0
DomainMagnate Buying websites and parked domains with revenue Websites 0
C LLL.in with traffic and revenue For Sale 8
DomainMagnate Looking to buy websites with revenue Websites 0
C Handwriting.net PR 3 Domain ! 5,261 Parking Uniques $67.45 Revenue, Registered in 1997 Non-India Related Domains 1
domainking131 How a $30,000 Domain Helped Voices.com Grow to $15 Million in Revenue Non-Indian Domains 0
DomainSherpa How a $30,000 Domain Helped Voices.com Grow to $15 Million in Revenue - With David Ciccerelli The Lounge 0
techno HDFILM.in with Revenue - Final Price $15 For Sale 2
techno NO RESERVE - HighWallpaper - Wallpaper Site With Revenue on Flippa External Auctions 0