Rent .in (co.in) domains

IT.com

netstar

Well: did you ever thought to rent your INDIAN domains? Lately I am thinking about it very much.

The fact is, that if you have a REEEEEEEEEEEALY GREAT DOMAIN you will get max. high $xxxx on the current market.

But instead to wait for a great deal (and not being scammed) – I can make a good profit from the “rent” + traffic. From the technical point of view it is possible, no doubt.

I am sure that out there are many YOUNG Indian COMPANIES (small / middle size companies), who want to get on the web, but they came late – they desired .com or .in (co.in) are long taken. Or the desired domain was way too expensive for the company budget. Now, simple solution – they can rent the domain. The owner will provide services.

Another plus for the idea I see in the clients accounting – the cost for renting a website can be added to project cost – believe me: finance guys like that very much.

So, what do YOU think?

PS: Sorry, my written English isn’t perfect (and I am also not Indian ....) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for the "rent" I think it's such as a great idea. But the question is "How" and "When" ? If you have something like bank.in then you can't just seat and wait for people come to you and ask for the rent ? right ? you must to do something about it in order to let people know you have a domain for rent.

Well, for the "rent" I think it's such as a great idea. But the question is "How" and "When" ? If you have something like bank.in then you can't just seat and wait for people come to you and ask for the rent ? right ? you must to do something about it in order to let people know you have a domain for rent.

Well, bank (as a financial institution) is a usually a LARGE COMPANY which can afford to pay the right amount, right? So banking - insurance are out of question! I was talking about small and middle size companies!!!!!! As for bank.in - can be information bank like yellow pages for specific field. Many possibilities! (Btw. bank.in is owned by India Portals:p)

HOW or WHEN? People will come to you??? Kidding! THIS IS YOUR JOB TO GET YOURSELF A CLIENT - how, it is up to you & depends on your domain portfolio. Approach direct the companies, come on - this is not that difficult, never done a market research before? DO THE CLIENT SERVICE - that is why the companies will rent your domain AND PAY YOU. At least I think so. If you are interested in more information - let me know.

Hi Netstar,

I don't really know much about renting domains, but what's the incentive in renting a domain? Wouldn't it be better to just a buy a decent domain at a reasonable price (even if the one you originally wanted is already gone)? There's a big risk that the domain owner can take away your website, as well as your traffic. I wouldn't like to voluntarily give that power to someone, and would prefer to own a domain outright.

I'd be interested to hear other people's views on domain renting. Has anyone on this forum already tried this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Netstar,

I don't really know much about renting domains, but what's the incentive in renting a domain? Wouldn't it be better to just a buy a decent domain at a reasonable price (even if the one you originally wanted is already gone)? There's a big risk that the domain owner can take away your website, as well as your traffic. I wouldn't like to voluntarily give that power to someone, and would prefer to own a domain outright.

I'd be interested to hear other people's views on domain renting. Has anyone on this forum already tried this?

Hi Ceres,
Interesting point! Now: I as domain owner will have a contract with the client who will renty my site ? simple rules about the content and design of the website. The content will be 100% property of the client, layout ? depends who will deliver this service. As for my ownership rights doens't change anything! Agreement must be done!!!!!

Same like you, I am also interested in knowing more about renting domains.

The main key point is "Contract" , "Agreement" for Rent a Domain. That's the best way to protect your brand under your company name. Well, I think people will rent for a short of period time (test a water) then they will buy the domain after that. I don't think they will rent for the rest of their life right ?

I do have medium size portfolio of .IN (premium domain), I wish there will be someone contact me for the rent hehe .. rather than sell the domain if the price is a low ball.

I think renting would work it there were a guaranteed buy out option for the renter in the contract and also provisions so that the domain owner couldn't get rid of the renter unless the renter didn't pay.

Renting would make sense only for the most valuable of domains.

There was an article about a company that does this:
Launch of LeaseThis.com Gives Domain Owners a New Option for Domain Monetization

Hi Jeff,

thanks for the article!!! Yes, we are talking here about goooooood (valuable) domains.

The main key point is "Contract" , "Agreement" for Rent a Domain. That's the best way to protect your brand under your company name. Well, I think people will rent for a short of period time (test a water) then they will buy the domain after that. I don't think they will rent for the rest of their life right ?

I do have medium size portfolio of .IN (premium domain), I wish there will be someone contact me for the rent hehe .. rather than sell the domain if the price is a low ball.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE - "Contract - Agreement" is a MUST!!! I have also some nice domains (premium), but I am not willing sell them for $600 on Sedo.... :eek: I rather wait, but in the meantime the can "work for me".

I really dont know. its better to park a domain if its premium, than to rent it for renewal fees X 5 or such multiples.

I would not rent a Premium .in Domain.
You should start a small projekt.

I do the same with Pictures.in

;)
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
just out of curiosity why wouldn?t you rent a premium .in? Any particular reason?
Ich m?chte gerne deine Meinung h?ren - wieso sch?gst du einen kleineren Projekt zuerst vor? :rolleyes:

I really like the idea of domain renting, but I also do not think that it would be probable. Many people would not be interested in this unless there was some sort of guarantee that the domain would be taken over, and even then, it would probably just be easier to buy another domain or buy that domain at a later point in time.

Very interesting concept. I like the idea a lot and think that it could be prosperous. Of course there would need to be contracts and guarantees involved to prevent the register from taking the domain over at any time. ;)

Very interesting concept. I like the idea a lot and think that it could be prosperous. Of course there would need to be contracts and guarantees involved to prevent the register from taking the domain over at any time. ;)

I'm sure that would be most people's number one concern!

I would really suggesting renting a domain because a) in the long run you will be paying more for your domain but also you have no ownership rights so you could get a successful site and have your whole site ripped away from you.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom