Preventing a website from being taken down

IT.com

marsh

There will always be malicious hackers out there. I had a friend that had his website taken down for two days and it really hurt his business. My biggest worry is cross-site scripting. You never really want any sort of compromise of user personal information. How is this best prevented?

I think the solution around this is to treat all user input into the website as 'untrusted'. At times, it is hard to tell if a user is genuine or there is a malicious code. Encoding this data can be a good remedy.

Another solution is to hire a company to monitor your site for you. Think reputation management. The more tech savvy among them can spot activity that can damage your site before it happens.

I am totally tech challenged, and when it comes to ensuring the safety of my website and my customers' information, I would really much rather hire someone who is knowledgeable in these things to make sure that things are done the right way.

I agree with you Dusart. There is more value in outsourcing someone who can take care of the technical bits. Hackers are out there always devising new ways of doing things.

If you have a website of your own, I am sure you wouldn't want that to be taken down just the way I wouldn't want mine too to be taken down. Since we run websites for one good reason or the other, we have to incur some necessary costs on keeping it live and functional. These costs include registering a domain name for the website, hosting the website, and performing the various search engine optimization tasks for the websites.

To ensure that your website does not get taken down, you must be fully active online, ensuring that all possible ways to get traffic to your website should be worked upon. If it entails spending some little amounts of money, you should be willing to spend it.

Last edited:
I think DMCA notices can take down from domain level. So it's not something we can bypass. But we can host both domain and hosting on our own. And that should take care of the DMCA notice. But why would anyone want to go through this process. I guess countering the notice is one good option. That gives people idea how to prevent site getting down.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom