PM System Working?? I appear to have Lost a PM :(

DN4Sale

Hi inForum Mods!

Great place you have here!

...but I had an incident just then where I believe I sent a PM,
yet it did not, and still does not, appear in my PM Sent Items list.
I logged in and out too.

Therefore, I was wondering if someone could look into this,
as while it may be an error on my part, right now, I am not sure.
It could be a bug, knowing there was an attack recently.

It took 1/2 hr for me to write, and I want to write another one,
but don't want to chance it if it isn't being sent/received.

Can someone volunteer to have me send a test PM too to see if was a 1-off or maybe something I did wrong?

Anyone else experience the same issue?

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
I've sent and received many PMs over the last week without issue.

PMs should appear in your Sent Items right away.

Will send you a PM.

DN4Sale

My Inbox seems to be working fine - just my 'Sent Items' reflects 0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Do you want the regular skin on the mobile site? That's the default vb mobile skin which is supposed to look like that.

DN4Sale

This issues is still un-resolved Jeff,

'Sent Items' still Do Not show-up in the Sent Items section of the PM system, whereby without any reply from the recipient of the PM - I have no idea whether it was sent or not.

This does not give me confidence in being able to properly conduct business here, as I simply do not know if writing PMs here is worth my time not knowing if they ever reach their recipient(s). :(

How much longer before PM is fixed and inforum.in is open for business again?

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Click Forum Actions > General Settings on the top nav bar.
Click > General Settings on the left hand navigation button
Scroll about halfway down the page to "Sent Private Messages."
Make sure the button for "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default" is checked.
Click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.

Hope that this helps!

DN4Sale

Wow Jeff,

If this is how PMs are set-up by default upon someone Joining - then I have to say such a choice is a failure on behalf of this Forum - as I have NEVER heard of a Forum requiring such non-sense.

Why is inforum set up in such a bad way with this - something so simple? Why are new Members not told of all these types of failures which they have to go manually 'turn-on' to make it work like a normal Forum? :S
Name 1 other Forum which does this to it's members? Not automatically track PMs - it makes no sense - who Doesn't want to track PMs?
I'm sure the number of people Not want to track their PMs are Far less than the # of people who actually Do tracks PMs.

It's hard to promote a Forum to friends when this is how it works

I lost an Hour of work because of this failure - How many other people have to waste their time here before this is properly corrected?

Can you now get a copy of the PMs I sent so I can recover some of the lost time caused by this failure?

I'm still stunned at this approach. :S Wow.

Anything else I should know about this Forum before trying to do business here??

Click Forum Actions > General Settings on the top nav bar.
Click > General Settings on the left hand navigation button
Scroll about halfway down the page to "Sent Private Messages."
Make sure the button for "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default" is checked.
Click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.

Hope that this helps!

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Sorry for the inconvenience.

I've looked into this further. We used to be on vb3. In vb3 by default all PMs are saved when sent.

We upgraded to vb4 on 16 April. In vb4, when a new member joins, by default PMs are NOT saved when sent for that member. I wasn't aware of this change and it seems silly to me as that's not what anyone expects in any forum.

In any event, I've changed things so that now when a new member joins, by default PMs are saved for that member. However, anyone who joined between 16 April and today (which you did) needs to manually change settings as I set out above.