Overwhelming the reader

IT.com

ritchie

In marketing circles, it is often believed that the longer the post, the higher it ranks. Nonetheless, a long post can easily overwhelm a reader. Breaking up content into smaller formats can even be more effective.

In marketing circles, it is often believed that the longer the post, the higher it ranks. Nonetheless, a long post can easily overwhelm a reader. Breaking up content into smaller formats can even be more effective.
I agree with that! Just today I was reading two articles. Both ran on and on and on and on and never seemed to be getting to the end. I ended both with finishing. The effort didn't seem worth the information. I am not necessarily looking for short articles but if you have something to say, say it, do not drag it out for pages on end!

Very much so @JackD. Something should capture the reader's attention in the most concise way using the least time possible. Not everyone has the patience to go through articles to the very end.

Longer articles are okay if they're broken up by topic headings and key points. Still, I think it's important to keep in mind that more and more users are looking at your site on a mobile phone. There's not much screen real estate to work with and hitting "next page" gets old as does endless scrolling.

hitting "next page" gets old as does endless scrolling.
I fully agree! I have left plenty of articles on the 4th page. Maybe my attention span is too short or, most likely, article not worth the trouble of continous "next page".

I dislike slideshows and sadly, so many of my favorite sites are using that format now. Just give me the content on one page. I'm an adult. Cutesy pictures just aren't necessary.

Seems we all share the same sentiments. I have left a lot of articles at the third page. I think it is much better to capture the reader's attention where it matters most; at the introduction. All that comes next should be more of informative because I'm sure there are people who read long posts to the end.

A 2,000 word marketing copy doesn't have to be. Think of all that would be said in 2,000 words. A good content creator will break that up into 4 500 word posts. All the information will still be there, but it will be broken up into 4 separate readings, each seguing seamlessly into the next

This will not only keep the readers' attention, but it will keep them coming back for the next installment.

I've taken some of my material off my Homepage and used it to create a separate page which is more for information purposes, rather than advertising my available domains for sale.

The downside is that for SEO purposes, people like Yoast recommend a minimum of 300 words on a page, and if there aren't sufficient words it might harm my site's rankings. And if my Homepage isn't listed high enough on the search engines few people will get to see my site.

It's a difficult balancing act.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom