Oscar academy files cybersquatting case

IT.com

Ceres

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences received a communication from an India-based company regarding the domain Oscars100.com. As you probably know, the Academy runs the well-known annual Academy Awards, aka the Oscars.

A representative of 007 Promotions stated that it was auctioning the domain to the highest bidder, and that the buy-it-now price was $25 million (hey, that's all? :rolleyes:). Has any domain name ever sold near that price?!

As the Academy Awards will enjoy its 100th anniversary in 19 years times, the company thought the domain might be of interest. Unbelievably, the representative threatened...I mean stated:

We must remind you that we cannot be responsible for the alternative uses that it may be acquired for, Gambling, ADULT INDUSTRY, or otherwise

It is our belief that if this Site comes into the hands of unscrupulous users, it may ?tarnish? the image of the Oscars if it is abused.

The Academy's response was to file a lawsuit at a U.S. court under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.

You can read more via the Legal Times.

;)lol!
rule1- never try to sell a name to someone who has TM/any other rights to it!,<..>

Last edited by a moderator:
The respondent that's mentioned in my previous post must really love the Oscars. Unfortunately, it just lost a few more Oscars-related domain names:

oscars.cc
oscarsloo.com
oscars100th.com
0scars100.com
100thoscars.com

Sorry but I don't buy the statement made by the respondent:

The Respondent asserts that the combinations of words in the disputed domain names are “ingenious and innovative” and are “genuinely brought together in a totally innocent capacity”
See here.

The respondent states that it intends to appeal the judgment of the US District Court regarding the loss of oscars100.com (the domain mentioned in my first post).

Does anyone actually believe the respondent's statement about the domains being innocent registrations?

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom