onlinedegree.in Yours thoughts pls on singular and plural domain name pricing

IT.com

bdss

My congratulations to the seller of onlinedegrees.in

The purpose of this thread is to figure out:
i)what would be the diff, if any, in the pricing of the singular (I own it) and plural version
ii)which one is better

Here are some thoughts:
Pricing factors:
i) GKT
ii)Product buying quantity (is it going to be one or many)
iii)Market conditions
iv) Various other factors point to similarity betwn these terms so I wont mention them.

i)GKT:
India
Broad: onlinedegree: 31,500 , onlinedegreeS: 13,100
Exact: 480 and 390

Global
Broad: 1.13mill and 900k
Exact: 10,000 and 18,000

The ques is would India market evolve into the pattern we see on Global level?

ii) As a product people do one degree at a time so is it fair to suggest they should be typing in singular "online degree" (like insurance) more than plural online degrees (like when buying shoes)? Based on this "buy one product item at a time" I bought and rate the singular version higher.

iii) Lastly as the online market in India will keep growing for the next decade and beyond so both domains are a safe investment.

Appreciate your thoughts?

Thanks,
bdss

Great question regarding singular vs plural domains. Steve Jones recently had a post on this exact subject... singular vs plural domains.... For the most part, he tends to suggest registering the plural domain for the very simple reason, if someone does a search for a word (in most words), the plural will include the singular word in it.

Example:
camera
cameras

Someone searching for 'camera' will return the result for both; while someone searching for 'cameras' will not necessarily return results for the singular version. Same with carpets and other such words....

carpet
carpets

I guess it also depends on how the search engine deals with their Boolean operators ... consensus seems to suggest to register the plural. Again, each word would have to be looked at individually and from an SEO perspective to get a more comprehensive answer. In your case it seems to be a better option to go with the singular, since IMO someone would not necessarily be looking for multiple 'degrees'. One degree is enough!

Good domain name and best of luck with it. Lots of affiliate opps on that category.

Here is the article I was referencing:

Why Plural Domains Are Almost Always Better Than Singular || Domainate.com

The only problem with this name,which is quite good,is that the buyer of the plural version got what he wanted.

Probably an end user at the price paid. (although still shows the Sedo auction page?) To now find an end user for the singular will be very difficult and the best option will probably be development to add fair value.

I agree with Indy's commentary overall on the subject.

But, In my opinion, this name still holds value and will sell. .In Market wise, it is not predicted to sell very well in the short term,but i have no doubt this is a mid $xxx-$very very low $x,xxx range name at least!

But, i do generally prefer plurals. Most of my .in oneworders are in the plural version when possible.Yea, you gotta cast that "BIG NET" and plurals definitely is a bigger net than singular versions.Also take these comments with a grain ofsalt because there are numerous variables in determining if you are buying the singular vs plural .IN domain.

Good luck, and hold.Online learning will be a growth industry in India for at least 10-15 yrs,so you can still leverage the education industry. If its good enough someone will eventually get desperate for it, and people will get desperate for this name sooner or later.

Great question regarding singular vs plural domains. Steve Jones recently had a post on this exact subject... singular vs plural domains.... For the most part, he tends to suggest registering the plural domain for the very simple reason, if someone does a search for a word (in most words), the plural will include the singular word in it.
Here is the article I was referencing:

Why Plural Domains Are Almost Always Better Than Singular || Domainate.com

I guess it also depends on how the search engine deals with their Boolean operators ... consensus seems to suggest to register the plural. Again, each word would have to be looked at individually and from an SEO perspective to get a more comprehensive answer. In your case it seems to be a better option to go with the singular, since IMO someone would not necessarily be looking for multiple 'degrees'. One degree is enough!

Good domain name and best of luck with it. Lots of affiliate opps on that category.

Thanks Indy , very insightful information.
I am not worried about SEO as both domains can be optimised for plural and singular without much issue.
One important point the article did mention was Google suggesting the keyword which I overlooked.
Becoming an affiliate sounds like a good idea and as someone said will raise the value of the name.
Would you know of any degree affiliate programmes in India?

Appreciate your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem with this name,which is quite good,is that the buyer of the plural version got what he wanted.

Probably an end user at the price paid. (although still shows the Sedo auction page?) To now find an end user for the singular will be very difficult and the best option will probably be development to add fair value.

Thanks for the comments WOT. I am not worried about finding an end user, bought this name few months back so was planning to hold on to it for a while and as you suggest developing seems to be a better option.

I agree with Indy's commentary overall on the subject.

But, In my opinion, this name still holds value and will sell. .In Market wise, it is not predicted to sell very well in the short term,but i have no doubt this is a mid $xxx-$very very low $x,xxx range name at least!

Thanks for the appraisal warbux.

But, i do generally prefer plurals. Most of my .in oneworders are in the plural version when possible.Yea, you gotta cast that "BIG NET" and plurals definitely is a bigger net than singular versions.Also take these comments with a grain ofsalt because there are numerous variables in determining if you are buying the singular vs plural .IN domain.

This thread has been informative and I intend to pay much more attention to plurals going forward.

Good luck, and hold.Online learning will be a growth industry in India for at least 10-15 yrs,so you can still leverage the education industry. If its good enough someone will eventually get desperate for it, and people will get desperate for this name sooner or later.

Once the industry picks up affiliates come in and buy the good names at end user prices. Happens all the time.

thanks again for your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom