O.co rebrand didn't work?

IT.com
Interesting article here from Overstock.com. They are the poster child for .co, and rebranded themselves as O.co. However, now they are reporting decreased revenue and profits and blaming it in part on the rebrand:

Interesting too that conversion rates went down - perhaps consumers see .co as less trustworthy than .com?

I think customers thought that the .co was simply a mistake as they were expecting .com which is well known..co was well hyped in the domain community but the average person in the street still would not know what it meant.

If they could have rebranded with O.com I am sure the results would have been for the better.

I think it is even possible that if it was available then O.in would have seen better results for rebranding as there would have been no confusion!

Some people go after .co But I think now people will face the realty and will be more interested in
.in domain names.
Now I think .in domain has the highest demand among all countries tld.

Its David vs Goliath..overstock may be a well know brand but compared to .com, its just a small brand. When you get cute with branding it can backfire and this may be the case. Stick with the obvious.

I think it is even possible that if it was available then O.in would have seen better results for rebranding as there would have been no confusion!

I agree O and any other extension like .me , .it or .in would have been much better than .co

But unfortunately, .in doesn't allow single letter domains.

.com is king period

Not only is .com king, but .co is a quack extension that has made 90% of its success riding .com's reputation. ultimate gold digger TLD!

.CO is not for .company. that is an idiotic and hyperoptimistic way of looking at it.

.CO is Colombia's ccTLD, but it JUST happens to be able to suffice for "company",and is lacking the "M" in .COM.

I am happy to see O.co fail. it was a stupid domain from the get go. Since when did people just start jumping on any rag tag stupid,never-proven-its-worth extension???

lets get back to serious domaining like .in :)

If you want to start selling tons of cocaine, then .co is probably your friend. I don't believe it has a mainstream global future at all.

The .co problem is the most obvious , people are going to type in .com version of the website or search for the .com version. Great lesson..

The .co problem is the most obvious , people are going to type in .com version of the website or search for the .com version. Great lesson..

Any tld or cctld have that problem. .co are looking very good to me. They rank globally and we will have an opportunity to reg some keywords for the development.

Any tld or cctld have that problem. .co are looking very good to me. They rank globally and we will have an opportunity to reg some keywords for the development.

Development-.co is OK but don't you think that for branding or even development .in (or something else) would be much better as there would be no confusion regarding the bit to the right of the dot?

New average Internet Users will type .com instead of .co if you take .co domain
But if we use .in domain there won't be any confuse

Comparing .CO to .IN is like comparing apples to oranges. .CO is Colombia's relaunched ccTLD, which is used mainly by non-Colombians because of its 'COmpany' (or "COmmercial", like in .co.uk/.co.in) meaning and therefore treated like a gTLD by Google (you can set geotargeting to your own country, because it's not strictly tied to its original country).

.IN is totally different. It is meaningful as India's official ccTLD and it's obvious for .IN to be perceived so worldwide. Occasionally, it may be used for domain hacks or companies who have nothing to do with India, but its potential is in its country and national userbase.

One thing I think is clear from all of this - .co prices will collapse on the reseller market.

One thing I think is clear from all of this - .co prices will collapse on the reseller market.

Following the Pool .co auction which was not very successful Sedo's no reserve premium .co auction is starting on 8th Dec will be an interesting guide.

México.co & Péru.co were not good enough, perhaps because they are in Spanish,the language of Colombia! :p

True.. reseller market will go down as initial hype is almost over. Registry made their money. I always enjoyed developing .in domains.

.in Domains gave me excellent ROI to compare with any other investment of mine.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom