Newly funded startups and their domain names

IT.com

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
With so many startups coming up, not all can afford to own the .COM of their name. Here is a list of recently funded startups and the domain name that they are using:

While some of them are using ccTLDs such as .co.uk and .in to target the local residents of the country, others such as Castle is using Castle.io, GreenLight is using a new gTLD GreenLight.guru, Changing Environments is using a hyphenated .com, File Locker is using FileLock.guru, Angani is using a .co and Scoo is using .jp

.Co seems to be popular among companies who cannot get the matching .COM and ccTLDs with those targeting the local audience.

What is your take on choosing a name and a domain name for your startup?

I think its a generation thing, the internet is still a toddler and most see .com as the ext to have. I think this will change in time when younger generations come through who have not been exposed to the .com importance. You see more and more brandables being used and whilst keywords will always have a value I think the internet is getting less formal and cool short brandable names will increase in popularity on all kinds of extensions.

Most of those startups that took .CO will eventually go after their .COM equivalent. .CO is still a knockoff of .com right? OK!!

Happy to see a startup using .IN though :)

The most foolish are those using .whatevers like .guru because so many people in the world dont and will not know that extension. There is no advantage to being in accessible by a typical curious person in the world looking for your website.

I think this will change in the future, it has to, it might be 25 years away but one day all these extensions will be in normal use on the internet (if domains exist), the .com will still be seen as king but the general public will be using other extensions too, they have to meet demand otherwise domaining can't grow.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom