New .IN Registrant Agreement

IT.com
Thanks for this - much appreciated!

Some good stuff and some bad stuff. I'm glad that proxy services are not allowed and that they are insisting on accurate whois information.

However, the way that I'm reading these terms is that now the registry has the power to cancel any domain at any time without a judicial process. That's scary stuff. If the Registry actually starts to use that power, there are going to be serious negative consequences.

number 3 and 4 are interesting:

3. Proxy/Privacy Services: Any kind of proxy services are not
allowed, and if the data is wrong or masked out by any proxy/
privilege protection services, the Registrant shall not be recognized
as the owner of the domain name.

4. No illegal/ obscene Content: The Registrant undertakes that it
shall not register a domain name which is contrary to public policy
and that the Content of the website shall not be violative of any
Indian Laws.

With regards to number 3, I've seen many in the .in whois registry who use their registrars privacy option.

With regards to number 3, I've seen many in the .in whois registry who use their registrars privacy option.

I would imagine (or I certainly hope!) the .IN Registry will give domain owners time to comply with this particular term. Perhaps they should set a deadline for this?

However, the way that I'm reading these terms is that now the registry has the power to cancel any domain at any time without a judicial process. That's scary stuff. If the Registry actually starts to use that power, there are going to be serious negative consequences.

I agree. There must be a judicial process introduced. Some kind of court hearing etc.

Now I kinda getting why some of owners selling out bunch of great their domains (premium, LLL) for a cheap or mid prices lately.

GetItNow - I think that has more to do with the economy than this change, which only happened a few days ago.

did the registry not have any such agreement in place before?.Does the other ccTLD registries have similar agreements in place,like .co.uk or .us or .com.au for the matter ,if yes what is the effect like ,if no,how can one registry make such a decision,i mean arent the registries accountable to ICANN ,does the ccTLD registries follow certain guidelines from ICANN or can they individually take independent decisions..
thanks and regards

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an agreement - these are new terms being added to i.

ccTLD registries are completely independent from ICANN and can run their registries however they see fit.

It seems it's fine if a ligament company is named as the owner, if it is a corp, it can have many owners. I see pepsi co just listed as pepsi co. So is just the company name acceptable?
Also what if you register a domain for some other company as a part of being a web master, should you list their name as the owner or your own?

As per registry rules the whois record should reflect proper address (PO Box not accepatable) with contact phone.

If you buy domain as webmaster then it is always better to keep original owner's name as registrant but if you keep your name Or your company name then it is also accepatable but when any legal issue come up then you will have to reveal the original registrant details.

In short whatever infomation you keep in whois record it should be post deliverable address and phone should be reachable.

What happen if address or contact info is wrong or not reachable in whois record ? :

In that case if any specific complaint comes to registrar/registry Or Registrar/Registry detects any false whois in their regular check then they generally send notice to registrant to recitfy the record within 7 to 10 days time (even they can ask for documents to verify the address), if address is rectified then no problem and if address is not rectified then registrar/registry can suspend the domain name any time after notice period is over.

ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND WHENEVER ANY LEGAL ISSUE COMES THEN WHOEVER IS THE REGISTRANT IN WHOIS RECORD BECOMES THE PARTY OF THE SUIT.

It seems it's fine if a ligament company is named as the owner, if it is a corp, it can have many owners. I see pepsi co just listed as pepsi co. So is just the company name acceptable?
Also what if you register a domain for some other company as a part of being a web master, should you list their name as the owner or your own?

Last edited by a moderator:

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom