Name drive parking.

Discussion in 'Parking' started by newbiedomainer, Feb 3, 2009.

1. newbiedomainer

newbiedomainer New Member

Hi i had a domain parked with namedrive. Now i would like to develop it. SO i have to transfer it to my host. I changed nameservers but to no effect. What to do now.

2. Jeff
    • Staff / Moderator

Jeff Canada Administrator Staff Member

You don't need to transfer the domain - just change the nameservers.

Once you change the nameservers, it can take up to a day (and sometimes longer) for the new nameservers to propagate across the internet. So, if you've just made the change, wait a day or so.

3. newbiedomainer

newbiedomainer New Member

Hi is there a way to know whether the change has taken place other than checking the actual website. I heard a term called domainwash.

4. gentlesavage

gentlesavage New Member

Jeff,
    While we are on the topic of parking, I chose to forward my domains instead of changing the nameservers. Is there a difference? Any advantage of one over the other?

--Chris

5. Jeff
    • Staff / Moderator

@newbiedomainer - you can do a whois lookup and see what the nameservers are - make sure they are the correct ones.

Also, most hosts have a way of viewing your site via IP address. Checking that would help you isolate whether there is a hosting problem or a nameserver problem.

6. Jeff
    • Staff / Moderator

@gentlesavage - People argue for both sides. I don't think that there is much difference between the two.

The parking companies generally recommend changing the nameservers, and that is what I do.

There are small pluses and minuses. If you change nameservers, then urls like domain.com/index.html will resolve properly.

OTOH, if you forward your domains, I believe that you can set your own title and probably a few other things - it should leave you with better control over the page.

Some people say that forwarding domains can help them rank in the search engines, but I've never seen this.

I think that it's pretty much 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. You can always test things out to see what works best for you.