My thoughts on setting BIN prices on your domain names

JulienJ

One of my favorite ongoing debates in the Domaining world surrounds a topic that might sound simple but ends up being surprisingly complex, should you price your domains or leave them open to offers? It’s a topic that I personally have gone back and forth on for years but over time I’ve landed in the BIN camp.

Of course this answer is different for different people so take anything I say here with a grain of salt but here’s the advantage I see to putting a BIN price on your names. When someone is looking for a domain name, and they don’t have one specific name in mind, they’re often driven by a name that they can easily find is available for sale, and is in their budget.

In most cases I think it’s pretty darn likely that when you sell a name at its BIN price, you probably did leave some money on the table. Just because someone bought your name for $3,500 doesn’t mean they didn’t have a $4,500 or even $7,500 budget. What it does mean is that the combination of domain and price made them pull the trigger right then and there.

If the same name was listed as “Make Offer” you could sell it for more but that same buyer could also easily overlook it. The question you have to ask yourself is how much profit are you happy with? Years ago I set my goal at 10x and told myself, if I can sell a domain for 10x what I’ve paid for it, I should be happy. This doesn’t mean that I price every domain at 10x my buy price, I have names at 20x, 30x or more in some cases, but I’m never going to be upset about a good return.

Let’s be honest – it’s easy to be obsessed with dollar values, you see a similar two-word .COM to one that you bought for $500 sell for $25,000 and suddenly that becomes your new price expectation. Sure you can turn down that $10,000 offer, but if you stop to think about making 20x what you paid and re-investing that money, it’s not hard to understand why making that $10k sale sooner could be a better long-term move.

Source

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Michael Gilmour's thoughts on the power of Gossip in the industry Resources 0
Prashant Sharan 5 Domain Name Thoughts by ANDREW ALLEMANN Resources 0
JulienJ Some domain name thoughts for your weekend Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ Thoughts from NamesCon in Las Vegas The Lounge 1
R any thoughts on .net.in ? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
Bharat Thoughts on Simplehosting.in? Website Reviews 20
domainking131 10 Random Domaining Thoughts Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 10 Random Domaining Thoughts Non-Indian Domains 0
D Loafers.in your thoughts Domain Appraisals 9
D Photojournalism.in your thoughts Domain Appraisals 1
B onlinedegree.in Yours thoughts pls on singular and plural domain name pricing Domain Appraisals 6
R Thoughts on [ וואן ] .com ?? One.Com (Hebrew) Domain Appraisals 2
R New Domain Sale Website Concept Using WP - Thoughts ? Indian Websites and Start-ups 4
I thoughts on 5g General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
T 12,200.00 in total value from valuate.com, need your thoughts Domain Appraisals 11
T Now I know these Have to be good? Thoughts? Domain Appraisals 3
Ace Some thoughts Legal Issues and Dispute 2
B 007.net.in : Any thoughts? Domain Appraisals 1
Prashant Sharan Domaining Tips: setting deal deadlines Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Great read: Morgan Linton's take on setting BIN prices on domains Resources 0
DNJournal.com .Coms Account for 11 of the Week's 13 Biggest Sales With Priority.com Setting the Pace The Lounge 0
Webportal 7 Things You Must Know Before Setting up Software Company Webmaster Forum 5
M how to link domain to host with DNS setting at Mitsu.in Hosting 3
Ceres Setting up a Business in India Indian Websites and Start-ups 4
A setting up your indian domain General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton on maintaining balance between BIN, Make Offer, Price Upon Request Resources 0
anquest $60 BIN Every Name / (via SEDO.com) For Sale 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver: The fight between BIN or Accept Offers and Leads Resources 0
jedi Domain $100 BIN for ALL domains listed. Post sold - HEMPEZY.com and 38 more Non-India Related Domains 0
DomainFQ.com Domains with BIN | FoldableSmartphone.in | FlexiblePhone.in | For Sale 0
DomainFQ.com Domains with BIN |PSVR.in | Dunzoit.in |MiniIndiaPark.in $20 Each For Sale 0
L ONE WORD - BIN price incl. Peripheral.in For Sale 9
J wwwPocket.com | BIN: $33 Non-India Related Domains 0
Prashant Sharan GoDaddy service still bombarding domain owners whose BIN prices are ignored! Registrars 0
J StrategyPost.com | BIN: $70 Non-India Related Domains 0
C 4 letter dictionary word with low BIN For Sale 0
J CreditCardia.com BIN: $100 Non-Indian Domains 0
S 6 triple premium LLL.in's - BIN added For Sale 2
A Selling BRANDABLE EASY IN domains BIN For Sale 0
jedi Domain BIN $50 or make offer < CALK.in > For Sale 1
Thedomainbaron HerTits.in BIN just $199 Adult Domains 3
C k-Store.us (Knowledge Store / Book Store) - Reduced BIN Non-India Related Domains 0
C m-Store.us (Mobile Store) - Reduced BIN Non-India Related Domains 0
C k-Store.in (Knowledge Store / Book Store) - Reduced BIN For Sale 0
C m-Store.in (Mobile Store) - Reduced BIN For Sale 0
C i-Store.in - i-Movies.in - i-Cafe.in - i-Service.in Reduced BIN For Sale 0
D GRAB this great domain name in auction ---> CheapConvertibles.com. Current Bid: $20. BIN: ONLY $150. External Auctions 0
franka 8711187.com @flippa BIN $150 External Auctions 0
franka 8811166.com @://flippa BIN $150 External Auctions 0
franka 949219.com--BIN $251 //flippa External Auctions 0