Music Sites

IT.com

Connected

How successful do you think these are? The one's with not only video's on them, but commentaries of the music, new reviews and news all rolled into one site?

How successful do you think these are? The one's with not only video's on them, but commentaries of the music, new reviews and news all rolled into one site?
If by success you mean more people visiting the site, then I think such a site would be a hit. Personally, I prefer to get a second opinion and that's why I love reviews. Are you looking to start one?

Pure video sites have the problem of competing with youtube. If you can add something unique, or make it a one-stop-shop for commentaries, lyrics, etc it should be able to pull a lot of people in. It just needs a lot of fresh content regularly, and something to keep people coming back, since it is the type of site that can do well with a dedicated user base.

Pure video sites have the problem of competing with youtube. If you can add something unique, or make it a one-stop-shop for commentaries, lyrics, etc it should be able to pull a lot of people in. It just needs a lot of fresh content regularly, and something to keep people coming back, since it is the type of site that can do well with a dedicated user base.
I agree with you here and I think it is not very easy to compete with YouTube. Again, what's unique has to be something that most people can identify with. I'm one of the people who are very picky when it comes to content in a music site.

Music sites are expensive to maintain. Some of the music apps being the one which are harder to even monetize. I have found that some of such music sites take a lot of time from investment purpose to make profit. And also the amount of people who wish to make money off it are not much high. So unless you have money to burn not a good niche to get into.

The problem with this, (and I saw someone else mention it above), is that you would have to compete with YouTube. I honestly only know the name of a couple of other music sites that aren't YouTube, because YouTube is my primary source.

Extremely hard to make $$ doing music sites.

I would agree, but to a certain degree. If you can create something unique, both with features, good optimization and good looks, you just might make it.

By including community, be it forums, comments or whatever, you can make it more interesting too. You could easily open music site for producers as well. Lots of smaller producers aim for smaller sites as well since getting exposure on big platforms can be hard for them. If they get few followers on a brand new site, they would surely be getting better followers as well. Just the way I see it.

I would agree, but to a certain degree. If you can create something unique, both with features, good optimization and good looks, you just might make it.

By including community, be it forums, comments or whatever, you can make it more interesting too. You could easily open music site for producers as well. Lots of smaller producers aim for smaller sites as well since getting exposure on big platforms can be hard for them.
This is true. In a sense, you need to offer something unique. It isn't easy penetrating the bigger platforms for sure. I'm thinking that if you offer uniqueness, then artistes could even approach your platform and use it to sell their music. What are your thoughts?

Agreed, and this i what I found. Very competitive and not easy to monetize.

Also you have to worry about copyright issues.

Music sites are expensive to maintain. Some of the music apps being the one which are harder to even monetize. I have found that some of such music sites take a lot of time from investment purpose to make profit. And also the amount of people who wish to make money off it are not much high. So unless you have money to burn not a good niche to get into.

No, man. Just no.

Everything you think is "unique" in the music space has an established site covering it.

You'd be surprised by the amount of high traffic music fan sites that break even or don't make money.

By including community, be it forums, comments or whatever, you can make it more interesting too. You could easily open music site for producers as well. Lots of smaller producers aim for smaller sites as well since getting exposure on big platforms can be hard for them. If they get few followers on a brand new site, they would surely be getting better followers as well. Just the way I see it.

If you are going to run a music site make sure it's a labor of love. Keep in mind when you try to turn a passion into a job, it's not a passion anymore. :)

Last edited:
From what I just read there are a lot of "IFs" involved. Too many IFs for me means do it for a hobby and not expecting to make money.

Agreed, and this i what I found. Very competitive and not easy to monetize.

Also you have to worry about copyright issues.

No, man. Just no.

Everything you think is "unique" in the music space has an established site covering it.

You'd be surprised by the amount of high traffic music fan sites that break even or don't make money.

If you are going to run a music site make sure it's a labor of love. Keep in mind when you try to turn a passion into a job, it's not a passion anymore. :)

Why would you say so? What if a certain fella want's to run a music site, allow others to share music, spread the love, make a great community that will enjoy visiting your site, perhaps even discussing if you had such features on the site. That would be both passion and job. Unless you turn it completely around from your ideals and just aim for the money. That is not passion, indeed.

As the website owner, it is your responsibility to make sure NO copyrighted material is on your website. So if a fella wants to run a music site and allow others to share music and spread the love, you need to make sure you do not spread "copyrighted" love. It is illegal and enforced in almost every country. Just imagine if you were the song writer and/or musician and you made your living that way, would you want 10 million people giving away your work? They may as well be giving away your money.

Exactly.

From what I just read there are a lot of "IFs" involved. Too many IFs for me means do it for a hobby and not expecting to make money.

You clearly are not experienced building websites. If you start a site without a clear idea of how it will make money, it likely never will.

Do all sites have to make money? No, many are built just for fun. The time involved in publishing a music news, community, etc. isn't worth it from a webmaster perspective.

There are a lot of things people are "passionate" about. That doesn't mean you make money doing it and turn it into a job. Do you know how many musicians I know that tried to do it professionally? A lot! Many of these musicians were talented and passionate... but it didn't work out.

Ying/yang to life. :)

Why would you say so? What if a certain fella want's to run a music site, allow others to share music, spread the love, make a great community that will enjoy visiting your site, perhaps even discussing if you had such features on the site. That would be both passion and job. Unless you turn it completely around from your ideals and just aim for the money. That is not passion, indeed.

Last edited:
I beg to disagree a bit because an IF for means there a big chance of an outcome happening when certain steps are taken. To some extent, I agree with you though. Nothing ever came through by mere speculation.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom