More

IT.com

wot

Country flag
"A draft policy framework and guidelines have been drawn up to prepare the ground for the full-fledged use of domain names (website addresses) in Indian languages, possibly by year-end or later.
The guidelines and policy, prepared by the Department of Information Technology in consultation with the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), may be subject to changes before they are put in place."

The Hindu : News : Guidelines drawn up for use of Indian-language domain names

Nice post Wot.

Since you know about the IDNs pretty well, what is your take on a comment a guy who kept low balling one of my lll.ins.

"lol... native tld's are "native language .tld" icann is going to stop using western characters for countries whose native langues don't support these .tld's.

This means your domain will be relatively useless to the people of India, because they will soon be converting over to a native language .tld.

Yes ccTLDS such as .in, .mx, .us are nice, but if countries like Saudi Arabia, India, Japan etc. ... Don't support western characters it only means native language .tld's are the best option for them.

Something tells me you didn't know this, because you thought I was talking about ccTLDS when I was referring to native .tld's...

(This also proves I don't see any future in this .tld I just thought it would be a nice add, and yes I am going to drop the price tomorrow to $30 if you don't move today.)

Thanks,
-AJ Rahim"

by "native" TLDs he means IDN domains.

P.S:He wanted to pay me $40 for ajr.in ;)

My comment would be: "if the name is no good why do you keep making offers, lowballs or otherwise?"

Personally I see it being much longer for the likes of Indian web users taking to IDN as English is widely recognised in India as opposed to the likes of China where English is rarely used.

I am also often wrong!

Native language SLD with native language TLD will be a big flop in India.

Main reasons are:

• There are more than 20 official languages and more than 10 scripts.
  • English coverage is increasing every day, so much so that even some state governments are (or contemplating) running English medium schools.
  • Majority of Indians are comfortable with English as a link language locally as well as globally.
  • Even to this day, not even 1% of the keyboards in use have the native script printed on them - we paste bi-lingual stickers on the keys where required.
  • There are no takers for '<IDN>'.com and '<IDN>'.net (available for Indian languages at present).
  • Even the ccTLD .IN is just taking off with an ever extending discount period.

Actually there is a much deeper technical+cultural+philosophical angle to the domain names concept vis-a-vis India, which is why .COM still works best in India.

BTW, there are still lot of local words and names available in .COM and .IN

But hold on... there is a mighty possibility that the Indian web access will totally bypass the domain naming system (which is just an addressing convention for the fast depleting IPV4 addresses) and crossover to some new technology that is more suited to mobile phones. Mark my word! Very soon most of the web access in India will be on mobile phones. It's just waiting for some technological r-evolution!

Last edited by a moderator:
Native language SLD with native language TLD will be a big flop in India.

Main reasons are:

• There are more than 20 official languages and more than 10 scripts.
  • English coverage is increasing every day, so much so that even some state governments are (or contemplating) running English medium schools.
  • Majority of Indians are comfortable with English as a link language locally as well as globally.
  • Even to this day, not even 1% of the keyboards in use have the native script printed on them - we paste bi-lingual stickers on the keys where required.
  • There are no takers for '<IDN>'.com and '<IDN>'.net (available for Indian languages at present).
  • Even the ccTLD .IN is just taking off with an ever extending discount period.

Actually there is a much deeper technical+cultural+philosophical angle to the domain names concept vis-a-vis India, which is why .COM still works best in India.

BTW, there are still lot of local words and names available in .COM and .IN

But hold on... there is a mighty possibility that the Indian web access will totally bypass the domain naming system (which is just an addressing convention for the fast depleting IPV4 addresses) and crossover to some new technology that is more suited to mobile phones. Mark my word! Very soon most of the web access in India will be on mobile phones. It's just waiting for some technological r-evolution!

I do actually agree, I have only 3 Indian, all Hindi idn.

I have now increased the min offer for MobilePhones.co.in to US$500,000 ;)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom