MarryAgain.in

IT.com

Ceres

I like the idea behind MarryAgain.in. It's an Indian matrimonial website that focuses on a certain niche. Those who've been divorced or widowed can seek remarriage via this free site.

The advanced search function is interesting. You can search by previous marital status, religion, family values, children, and even income.

Given that the divorce rate in India is growing, I think it's a great idea to run this type of website. What are your views?

There was an article in yesterdays Times of India about a guy who married two wives at the same time (I suspect the guy and wives are Hindu, not Muslim, but the article wasn't specific). If this kind of marriage becomes a trend this marryagain.in website will be hot!!!

I don't think the website is advocating polygamy (but rather second marriages for those who've been divorced or widowed). But I get your point newyorkdude.

Doesn't advocate polygamy? Narrow thinking. Frequent business travelers might appreciate having a spouse in every port. Judging by the readers comments to the Times of India article, women have an itch to have multiple husbands, it's not just a male thing. Maybe the owner of this particular website doesn't want to be a pioneer, but there's a market out there for multiple spouses. I write these messages with a big wink, but I suspect someone could cash in on this idea....if they are brave enough.

Thanks for the link. Interesting article.

On my reading of the 3 stories in that article, I don't see these two women as having had "an itch" to have multiple husbands. The man betrayed both women!

Bear in mind the first wife probably had little choice when she married her husband (sounds like an arranged marriage). In any event, I did find it surprising that the two women apparently agreed to the second marriage.

Times are changing for many women in India. I would imagine a lot of women would react the opposite to the women in the story - ie show the man the door :eek:.

I wonder how many of these men would readily agree to their wives taking on second husbands?

When I read the article there were maybe five or six letters to the editor published on the web. All the letters asked the question: would husbands allow their wives to have multiple husbands? I read into their questions that some women would appreciate multiple husbands.

I am an amateur "expert" on polygamy. I've discussed it among people I meet for a long time. My experience is that as soon as I (or any man) starts talking about the topic, women ask about polyandry (multiple husbands)--as if men wouldn't tolerate it.

In fact, polyandry has been practiced in Sri Lanka, Sikkim (or maybe Bhutan) and parts of Africa. Ask an Indian from the far north of India and he or she will be aware of the practice in neighboring countries. But the truth is, where it has been practiced it is mostly practiced in extremely poor areas. It's a way of not breaking up family farms--much more than a sexual thrill. I am not aware of any place where polyandry is practiced as a sexual wet dream. But maybe that's just a shortcoming in my education.

But the idea of polygamy is a bankable turn-on for men.

The Times of India article didn't seem fact-based to me. I think it was the writer's wet dream. It sounded too smooth and too trouble-free to be real.

There's another angle to the supposed story that cries out for coverage: what do the children think? According to this story, wife #1 had a 3 year old child when hubby married wife #2. C'mon, a 3 year old kid isn't going to meld seamlessly into a two-Mommy family just like that. There was a gruesome story in the US this weekend. An 11 year old murdered his father's lover (who was pregnant with Dad's child). Not only would adults (from non-polygamous and non-polyandrous societies) have trouble adjusting to a second or third spouse. Kids could make a lot of trouble too.

When I read the article there were maybe five or six letters to the editor published on the web. All the letters asked the question: would husbands allow their wives to have multiple husbands? I read into their questions that some women would appreciate multiple husbands.

I read it that the women were being sarcastic when they asked this question (as was I when I posed the question). Interesting how we read the same comments but got different impressions as to the writer's intent. :)

There's another angle to the supposed story that cries out for coverage: what do the children think? According to this story, wife #1 had a 3 year old child when hubby married wife #2. C'mon, a 3 year old kid isn't going to meld seamlessly into a two-Mommy family just like that. There was a gruesome story in the US this weekend. An 11 year old murdered his father's lover (who was pregnant with Dad's child). Not only would adults (from non-polygamous and non-polyandrous societies) have trouble adjusting to a second or third spouse. Kids could make a lot of trouble too.

Children are obviously heavily influenced by their parents and their surroundings. If a child grows up with say one dad and three mums, they might do the same thing when they grow up.

On the other hand (as highlighted by you above), other children may react differently and reject such a set up.

All in all, "marrying again" is an interesting topic!

It's hard enough spending time with two families during Christmas!

I think the polygamy angle is really interesting. I imagine the trend is falling as the country is developing?

I'm pretty sure the picture in that article from Getty Images was intended to illustrate a man with his wife and child...

By all means marry. If you get a good wife you will become happy, and if you get a bad one you will become a philosopher.
--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

Interesting as the conversation is, the domain itself sounds good. Wondering if that is the case, then would it make sense to own domain names with "lawyer" and "divorce" in them?

Do people look on the internet for lawyers? My guess is most people go by word of mouth for lawyer recommendations. In any case, I would guess a lawyer website would also need geography, such as mumbailawyer or newyorklawyer.

Interesting as the conversation is, the domain itself sounds good. Wondering if that is the case, then would it make sense to own domain names with "lawyer" and "divorce" in them?

I'm guessing it will take a few more years before we see many Indian advocates advertising on the internet. This is because:

(1) internet penetration in India is still growing; and

(2) it was only last year that the Bar Council of India permitted Indian advocates to advertise on the internet (some advertising restrictions still apply).

Coincidentally, a Lok Adalat (People's Court) was recently setup to deal with some of the matrimonial disputes pending in lower courts. One of the decisions already made is that a second wife also has a right to receive to maintenance.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom