List of Pending INDRP Disputes

IT.com
MySpace.co.in and Permira.in have been added to the pending list.

With regard to MySpace.co.in, the complainant is probably MySpace, Inc.

With regard to Permira.in, I'm guessing the complainant is Permira, the European private equity group. I wonder if this company has a presence in India?

--------
UPDATE - Here are the decisions:

Permira Wins Permira.in

My Space Wins MySpace.co.in

Last edited by a moderator:
Those clearly aren't generic domain names.

Yes. All these complainants own well-known trademarks in many countries. As these companies also trade in India, no doubt they own registered trademarks in India. If not, at the very least they've probably acquired common law trademark rights in India.

A couple more INDRP cases added to the pending list:

Telenor.co.in ? The complainant is likely the Norwegian telecommunications company Telenor. The company owns a trademark in India for Telenor.

Ampnetconnect.in ? I'm guessing the complainant is The Whitaker Corporation (part of Tyco Electronics Corporation). The company owns a trademark in India for Amp NetConnect.

These are well-known companies. I think it's easy enough to predict the outcome of these two cases...;)

------

Telenor Wins Telenor.co.in

http://www.inforum.in/legal-issues-dispute/3670-indrp-decision-ampnetconnect-co.html]INDRP Decision: AmpNetConnect.co.in

I see many big companies are going after ownership of trademarked Indian domains. The latest additions to the pending list are:

Intesa.in
Intesa.co.in
Bloomberg.net.in
Allianz.co.in
Volkswagen.in
BarclayCards.in
BarclayCard.in

I predict each INDRP decision will rule in favour of the complainant (and rightly so IMHO). Each of these well-known companies have a presence in India.

--------

Intesa.in and Intesa.co.in - INDRP & Trademark Domains

INDRP Proceeding: Bloomberg.net.in

Barclays Wins BarclayCards.in

2nd INDRP Complaint by Allianz SE

Indian Car Dealers Lose Volkswagen.in

The latest additions to the INDRP pending list are:

ArmaniExchange.in
Armani Exchange is one of the fashion brands by Italian designer Giorgio Armani. Earlier this year, Armani won Armani.co.in in an INDRP case.

Eurocopter.in

Eurocopter is one of the world's leading helicopter manufacturers.

Unless I'm missing something here, these cases will likely be easy for the complainants to win!

-----------

INDRP: ArmaniExchange.in and Eurocopter.in

When you register well known TM as domain then it is always risk of loosing the same .

I agree, it's too risky to register such names. If it's Microsoft behind the MSN.in case, I believe they will win the domain. Microsoft's MSN brand is a famous and well-known one, and which existed before .IN domains were around.

I agree, it's too risky to register such names. If it's Microsoft behind the MSN.in case, I believe they will win the domain. Microsoft's MSN brand is a famous and well-known one, and which existed before .IN domains were around.

But don't you think its more controversial when the TM name is an acronym? "MSN" has 31 acronyms on acronym finder, so couldn't the person who registered it want to use it for something else? "MSN" just happens to be one of microsofts main businesses, but the person could have a decent argument arguing that they wanted to use it vis-a-vis another acronym. I just feel acronyms should be much harder to take away through INDRP because they mean many things, so who decides what the "real" meaning is?

But don't you think its more controversial when the TM name is an acronym? "MSN" has 31 acronyms on acronym finder, so couldn't the person who registered it want to use it for something else? "MSN" just happens to be one of microsofts main businesses, but the person could have a decent argument arguing that they wanted to use it vis-a-vis another acronym. I just feel acronyms should be much harder to take away through INDRP because they mean many things, so who decides what the "real" meaning is?

warbux, If you're talking about a "regular" trademark, then yes I totally agree with you that a third party should be able to use that same acronym in a different channel of trade. I think in most situations, this is allowed.

However, whether we like it or not, famous and well-known trademarks get extra protection (ie. it usually doesn't matter if the mark/acronym is being used in a different channel of trade).

Therefore, IMHO, registering well-known marks such MSN and KFC etc will always be somewhat risky.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom