Lessons from history - Pick Your Registrar Carefully

IT.com

CyberKing

Domain Investor
Country flag
Hypothetically speaking, there is a lot of buzz when a supposedly well connected, self proclaimed, chest thumping, Father of dot IN is taken down systematically along with the business they supposedly run above board and well over 20,000 names are in "limbo" for a period of time...NO THIS IS NOT A TECHNICAL GLITCH. Far from it.

This event if speculation is to be believed is also a FIRST in over a decade of IN Registry's existence. I am confident it wont be the last because errant registrars need to be reigned in.

The shenanigans that most of us with any visibility to the back story are aware of will ensure that those that are corrupt, abusing the system or in violation of the legal contract are brought to their knees and forever shutdown.

This event has sent affected domain owners or domain (ers) as the community likes to refer to them in a tizzy,,,,with several valuable LLL and the like names locked out, partial sale transactions stuck or on hold, so are pending website launches possibly...rumors are running rampant despite a clear indication of NIXI HOLDING ACCOUNT in the whois.

So called well wishers who fell for the false image built up, inside scoops, breaking news and occasional sops provided by the errant registrar(s) are rushing to hush down the negative ramifications and actual consequences. This is one sinking ship you want to stay away from.

So as I have stated in this forum before pick your registrar very carefully.

Some of us who were part of the RegisterFly crisis over a decade ago know it can be quite painful. Thanks to some swift moves and a governing organization that was proactive stability was maintained..however it left a lot of us scampering to find a proper home for our domain assets - since Fly was super cheap for us bulk investors in COMs and it went down overnight. Despite that experience some of you know my early IN investments got locked for nearly a year, thanks to a unscupulous registrar who frequents this forum and I made a list of what to look out for and I hope you will benefit from it.

A few key pointers -
  • Check your registrars business stability (size scale and reach - stick to the top 2 or 3 in other words)
  • Check your registrars financial accounting
  • Go for a GOBAL BRAND and NOT A ONE PERSON SHOW (no matter how low the price)
  • Definitely read review - even better check with a friend who has any exposure to them
  • Prefer a publicly traded firm - there is more accountability that way
What next -

• Your guess is as good as mine since there is no history in this context with these specific players in terms of governance but the rules of compliance and the terms of the legal contract between the parties is very clear
  • However given your assets are in a holding account, they are in safer custody than where they were before relatively speaking.
Good Luck and Best Wishes

Last edited:
Quite an insight and one can only wonder how things would be, if such an unfortunate occurrence was left unchecked. That tells you how unscrupulous some entities can be, all in the name of making a 'name' for themselves.

Reactions: Tom
Here's the thing - nobody knows for sure what is going on, not even the registrars involved (and it was more than one).

Things happened on a Friday evening. Registry technical support is closed over the weekend. All the top officials from the Registry are in Abu Dhabi for the ICANN conference. So no one is able to find out what is going on until Monday.

***Everything else is speculation***

Nobody has lost a domain, and I highly doubt anyone will.

You don't know what happened, so blaming the registrars involved is unfair, given that they all have many, many years in the business without issue.

It's definitely a bit stressful for everyone involved (and I would imagine particularly so for the registrars involved), but at this point all that can be done is wait. In 24 hours or so, we should have better information as to what is going on.

Speculation isn't always a good thing and as much as I haven't been in this industry for a long time, I agree with @Jeff that it would be a great idea to adopt a wait-and-see approach. We (definitely) wouldn't want to hear that any domains have been lost.

Finally, all speculations stopped.

A sad day indeed. I pray the registrants don't face any troubles for keeping their domains there and get all their domains back in timely manner.

MitsuTerminated.jpg

The full email reads:
---------------------------------------

Dear Registrant / Customer,

This is to inform that the registrar account of your current registrar – Mitsu Inc. has been terminated by National Internet Exchange of India(NIXI) which manages the .IN Registry.

In view of the termination, your registrar will not be able to provide you any domain management services for .IN or .भारत (in all supported languages).

In order to protect your rights and commercial interests,.IN Registry hereby informs you to transfer your domain(s) to an alternate Accredited Registrar of .IN Registry of your choice. Please view the link below for the list of registrars - https://registry.in/Accredited_Registrars

You may contact your preferred new registrar on your own for transferring your domain(s) and follow the process as may be advised by the new registrar.

Meanwhile to maintain continuity, .IN Registry is taking over the control of your domain names and if you require any changes to your existing contact details or Nameserver associated with your domain name, you are requested to send an email from your registrant email id, as reflecting in whois records to registrantsupport at registry.in.

While moving to a new registrar, you are requested to contact .IN Registry to obtain your domain authorization or “AUTH CODE” – which will be required by the new registrar to initiate transfer of your domain(s).

You are requested to complete the transfer process in the next 15 days from the date of this email. If not, .IN Registry will initiate its own process to transfer your domain to another registrar as may be determined by .IN Registry.

Sincerely yours,
National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI)

Last edited:
Nice informative post thou hard to identify all the factors about various registrars so of course the top 3 must be the obvious choice :)

If all the unscrupulous people in the world were left unchecked, what a mess it would be. Domains are not different in that they too have unscrupulous entities floating about. The advice above is really good to use in all types of businesses not just domains. People looking to take from you are just around the corner.

I appreciate a heads up of shenanigans, but if you're going to call somebody out, you should really name them. Come on. I you're afraid of being sued just throw in some "allegedly" and "supposedly" and "accused of" and you'll be fine. From the information I see here, there's no way to know what happened and the government isn't that trustworthy, so is it the registrar or the system?

I try to pick a registrar based on recent reviews. It's difficult to pick out the paid reviews from the legit ones, but I happen to believe folks here.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry this stress has fallen on you, SuperSoftware. No one needs more pressure, that's for sure. I hope things work out for you in the long run.

I appreciate a heads up of shenanigans, but if you're going to call somebody out, you should really name them. Come on. I you're afraid of being sued just throw in some "allegedly" and "supposedly" and "accused of" and you'll be fine. From the information I see here, there's no way to know what happened and the government isn't that trustworthy, so is it the registrar or the system?

I try to pick a registrar based on recent reviews. It's difficult to pick out the paid reviews from the legit ones, but I happen to believe folks here.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry this stress has fallen on you, SuperSoftware. No one needs more pressure, that's for sure. I hope things work out for you in the long run.

Its easy to "talk" - if only you were part of the history here. Naming the individual leads to the admin dropping the post, has happened not only to me but several who know the shady operators in our universe and call them out.

I know how to move the line and where to stop. The key was to get the message out there. Perhaps you can learn. I am not afraid of anyone those who know me know that. I continue to crusade against corruption in our society as an RTI Activist among other things.

I have no clue what you are talking about here..."I'm sorry this stress has fallen on you," . I am laughing all the way to the bank, so to speak.... cause what is about to unfold is a brighter future for IN among other things.

I got my RTI response about that long time ago Natasha lol. But if you are RTI activist then why not?

BTW, can foreign individual file RTI request?

No have to be an Indian Citizen..:rolleyes: and oh I might go for Fearless Nadia

Last edited:
Two minutes of silence for all those brave souls (bhakts) of the Father Of dot IN (supposedly) who trusted LLLs and single keyword names with an individual...tsk tsk:cool:

PS: Unless someone among registrants with enough to gain (or enough to loose with the passage of time) moves the court expect status quo for 12-18 months minimum IMO

Two minutes of silence for all those brave souls (bhakts) of the Father Of dot IN (supposedly) who trusted LLLs and single keyword names with an individual...tsk tsk:cool:

PS: Unless someone among registrants with enough to gain (or enough to loose with the passage of time) moves the court expect status quo for 12-18 months minimum IMO
Why are you saying that no decision will be take for 12-18 months. Is it possible to transfer the domain to another account with NIXI . Has anyone filed an RTI

Legal civil suits in trial courts can take an average of 12-15 Years, Typical High Court Writs average 12-18 Months in my experience. Unless a group of registrants band together and move the court for relief in the form of transfer outs - there could be prolonged delays...good luck.

Legal civil suits in trial courts can take an average of 12-15 Years, Typical High Court Writs average 12-18 Months in my experience. Unless a group of registrants band together and move the court for relief in the form of transfer outs - there could be prolonged delays...good luck.
Do you know of any registrants with lll.in and other valuable domains at Mitsu.in who will be willing to approach the court?

You are already active on both forums, so those folks are very much here..

You should also approach NIXI with your plea to move the court on the next hearing date to allow registrants of their own free will to be able to transfer out..instead of being held hostage by this case..

Someone was foolish enough to take on the GoI , bizzare and nuts, why should the "foolhardy" customers suffer , especially those who fell for the con and tall claims?

You are already active on both forums, so those folks are very much here..

You should also approach NIXI with your plea to move the court on the next hearing date to allow registrants of their own free will to be able to transfer out..instead of being held hostage by this case..

Someone was foolish enough to take on the GoI , bizzare and nuts, why should the "foolhardy" customers suffer , especially those who fell for the con and tall claims?
Can you clarify what is bizarre and nuts, many .in domain investors in India are being harassed by GoI , many websites on corruption like corruptionindrdo, GoI does not care about corruption, nepotism of government employees , How to approach the court for .in domain names

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
angemon
Top Bottom