Legality issues of posting names for sale on Sedo and other auctions sites??

IT.com
A few points i'd like to make about the current state of .In domains and what i perceive is affecting it:

1) India is going through a sensitive security state now with the assam violence and what not, and once it eases considerably, the govt will probably roll back on some censorship

2) .com is more or less a spent space or "tightened" market, and hence all our presence in this growth market called .in. If .com was really really that great, not these many people would be buying .in domains now.

3)Since .in domains can be owned by anyone in the world, the Indian govts control of .in domains isn't as absolute as we assume because the reputation of India's extesion AND the govt is on the line everytime the Indian govt plays games with it .In policies

4)remember that .IN domains are still in early growth phase. THE MAIN SHOW HAS NOT BEGUN YET. Do you really want to cash in cheap now?(i just went through the sales thread and saw some sales from 07- some really regretful sales!e.g-transport.in for $695)

5)If .in domains were a bad or risky investment now, why are there all these people waiting patiently to snap up the "gems"?If you don't play., someone else will and they will take the risks AND rewards,so keep playing. i intend to keep playing and never give in.

A few points i'd like to make about the current state of .In domains and what i perceive is affecting it:

1) India is going through a sensitive security state now with the assam violence and what not, and once it eases considerably, the govt will probably roll back on some censorship

2) .com is more or less a spent space or "tightened" market, and hence all our presence in this growth market called .in. If .com was really really that great, not these many people would be buying .in domains now.

3)Since .in domains can be owned by anyone in the world, the Indian govts control of .in domains isn't as absolute as we assume because the reputation of India's extesion AND the govt is on the line everytime the Indian govt plays games with it .In policies

4)remember that .IN domains are still in early growth phase. THE MAIN SHOW HAS NOT BEGUN YET. Do you really want to cash in cheap now?(i just went through the sales thread and saw some sales from 07- some really regretful sales!e.g-transport.in for $695)

5)If .in domains were a bad or risky investment now, why are there all these people waiting patiently to snap up the "gems"?If you don't play., someone else will and they will take the risks AND rewards,so keep playing. i intend to keep playing and never give in.

very well said, not living in India does really have disadvantages with .in domains, simply because the 'lack of local knowledge'.

its a HUGE market will HUGE potential and as Warbux said, THE MAIN SHOW HAS NOT BEGUN YET.

its just a really shame that people are selling domains really really cheap.........99% of .in domains on this forum are GOLD.

but its the everyday domains that will do very well at this point in time.

TBO, even .com.au has really poor sales figures on resale.
.in has a better future that .com.au just on population numbers

and YES there are MANY gems, everyone has preferences in what they like and past experiences that people have will dictate how they invest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently I'm not parking my .in domains. I'll keep renewing them until I get a good private offer.
At first I didn't got any offer, but as time goes I'm getting some offers.
I'll wait for another 4 years to 9 years or may be more. I'm getting more offers for PCUser.in rather than my LLL .in domains.

Hi guys, I too think that all of these extremely VAGUE legislations around the legality of our domains are ridiculous and almost even up to subjective interpretation.......why cannot the Indian government be specific in anything!!!! Crazy!

@Pupul, I am afraid that doing nothing with your names will NOT work. Just sitting on them my friend will NOT increase their value over time because the WHOLE game has now changed with the introduction of hundreds, maybe thousands of new extensions which will go on sale over the next few years. The answer and only solution for ALL of us .In investors is to start DEVELOPING our best domains to generate some genuine traffic and add value to our names, just sitting on them for even 5-10 years will NOT increase value very much my friend, not when the indian population will possibly then have thousands of other similar extensions to choose from for any particular dictionary or LLL.in name that you may own at the time.

PLEASE GUYS DO NOT WASTE TIME AND MONEY IN JUST BUYING GOOD NAMES AND SITTING ON THEM FOR YEARS, WE MUST START DEVELOPING GOOD QUALITY SITES OR JOIN FORCES OR MAYBE SELL A FEW TO COMPANIES OR INDIVIDUALS WHOM WE KNOW CAN HELP IN DEVELOPMENT OR WILL GENUINELY DEVELOP THESE EXCELLENT NAMES WE HAVE......only then will India recognise the potential of .In and see our investment values increase, otherwise .In will definitely BE IN A SERIOUS LOSING BATTLE with .Coms, .Orgs, .Nets and the many other hundreds of new extensions soon to be released in the next 5 years.

SO LETS ESTABLISH .In NOW!!!!!! Don't wait around guys!! Please, this is not a waiting game, we don't own art pieces by Picasso or Da vinci! This is NOT that type of investment bond!

Hi guys, I too think that all of these extremely VAGUE legislations around the legality of our domains are ridiculous and almost even up to subjective interpretation.......why cannot the Indian government be specific in anything!!!! Crazy!

@Pupul, I am afraid that doing nothing with your names will NOT work. Just sitting on them my friend will NOT increase their value over time because the WHOLE game has now changed with the introduction of hundreds, maybe thousands of new extensions which will go on sale over the next few years. The answer and only solution for ALL of us .In investors is to start DEVELOPING our best domains to generate some genuine traffic and add value to our names, just sitting on them for even 5-10 years will NOT increase value very much my friend, not when the indian population will possibly then have thousands of other similar extensions to choose from for any particular dictionary or LLL.in name that you may own at the time.

PLEASE GUYS DO NOT WASTE TIME AND MONEY IN JUST BUYING GOOD NAMES AND SITTING ON THEM FOR YEARS, WE MUST START DEVELOPING GOOD QUALITY SITES OR JOIN FORCES OR MAYBE SELL A FEW TO COMPANIES OR INDIVIDUALS WHOM WE KNOW CAN HELP IN DEVELOPMENT OR WILL GENUINELY DEVELOP THESE EXCELLENT NAMES WE HAVE......only then will India recognise the potential of .In and see our investment values increase, otherwise .In will definitely BE IN A SERIOUS LOSING BATTLE with .Coms, .Orgs, .Nets and the many other hundreds of new extensions soon to be released in the next 5 years.

SO LETS ESTABLISH .In NOW!!!!!! Don't wait around guys!! Please, this is not a waiting game, we don't own art pieces by Picasso or Da vinci! This is NOT that type of investment bond!

EXACTLY, take charge.
this is where everyday domains will kill LLL
LLL are boutique and harder to find a new owner (.com is easy)

dont sit around waiting for money, make your domain irresistable

BUY the WHOLE NICHE and strangle the competition into buying them.
owning a complete niche is MONEY, beat your competition and succeed in getting better dollars from them

if they cant move? they WILL pay more if your their biggest competitor on google
** remember being small means that your more flexible and can be more agile. big companies are pretty rigid so beat them.

Thanks Chris.......FINALLY some of us are starting to understand the reality of domaining in the .In namespace. We can only succeed in the future of crowded world of thousands of extensions, IF WE DEVELOP and generate traffic!

The future WILL be FULL of numerous extensions and if WE don't start to establish .In RIGHT NOW, then our names will be nothing but a small drop in a ocean for thirsty companies.

Thanks Chris.......FINALLY some of us are starting to understand the reality of domaining in the .In namespace. We can only succeed in the future of crowded world of thousands of extensions, IF WE DEVELOP and generate traffic!

The future WILL be FULL of numerous extensions and if WE don't start to establish .In RIGHT NOW, then our names will be nothing but a small drop in a ocean for thirsty companies.

even if it is a 1 page SEO rich site it will do well, parking only helps the registrar and TBO they give you 5%....thanks crazy.

i use this methodology
If you have a very nice EXACT keyword domain (for example i found glassrepairs.in the other day and it was avail).
so you also buy glassrepairsmumbai, glassrepairsnewdehli etc etc.

that way YOU OWN the niche and basically can control google results with a little SEO.
on resale it is MONEY as the new owner can start earning straight away without any issues seeing google is your friend.

people want INSTANT return when they spend BIG money on domains and not have to then hire SEO experts, developers yada yada.

ask yourself this question.
how much is 2 or sites on google page 1 worth?

glassrepairs on its own is still worth something, but owning the niche is worth a lot more.

I turned 1 ($7.99) 'diamond buying' related .com.au domain into $15k just from buying a few of the keyword domains that the competitors used and making them number one with only 3 days work.
** you may ask why?
well thats easy

some of the major keywords are 'sell diamond ring', 'sell engagement ring', 'sell diamond sydney' so i grabbed them as a support sites that carry the shops phone number, email etc
this means 3 less competitors and three more options in being on google first page for those domains.

huh?
well link them back to your MAIN business site seeing they are EXACT keywords that carry extremely high value on google and a TOP QUALITY back link (not some book directory or some dodgy blog link)
you can also wait for the right price and make money from adsense......the competition actually are giving YOU money then.

this is where everyday domains will kill LLL
wrong. LLLs have their own demand and they fulfil a KEY demand that end users still want- short domains.Short domains will never lose.

LLL are boutique and harder to find a new owner (.com is easy)
wrong. I get many more emails for LLL.ins than for one word .ins or 2 word .ins. There are end users out there for LLLs, its just that the market hasn't matured enough for us to splt with them fairly.

You are making a fundamental error- assuming new extensions removes the value in quality extensions. .mobi, .asia, and all these new extensions dont reduce teh value of quality extensions by much. I completely disagree that these new extensions are marginalizing .in. they are just confusing some dumb end users, but solid extensions exist on solid footing and that wont change.

i do agree that development is critical....but its critical for all domainers and their portfolios overall.

But even on inforum, we don't have enough people working on developing .in domains and so we must all talk a bit less on this issue and have more action! Action always speaks louder than words.

Truekumar you also stated that just sitting on our .IN domain names will not increase their value. i disagree with that for one simple reason- supply and demand PREDICT price increase for good .in domains because supply for g ood names is steady or shrinking, while demand(pool of enduses) is constantly increasing. More indians coming online means more web demand, more web demand means more .IN domain demand. simple as that. Most domainers are just impatient and cant wait it out and if you cant wait it out you lose. Indians are already emailing me about .in domains. why will that stay stagnant in the future? thats impossible. we are just sometimes short sighted and think of pains of renewal costs instead of focusing on future potentials.who drops triple premium lll.ins anymore? exactly...market is tightening,and with limited supply of good names, economics states prices will rise...to favor us. it looks like slow motion, but it is real.

As for those who hold or hope on their crappy .in names, well no luck will come because the foundation- crappy names, is never helpful to the holders.

wrong. LLLs have their own demand and they fulfil a KEY demand that end users still want- short domains.Short domains will never lose.

wrong. I get many more emails for LLL.ins than for one word .ins or 2 word .ins. There are end users out there for LLLs, its just that the market hasn't matured enough for us to splt with them fairly.

well my my domain sales for everyday domains out weight LLL by 99%

its harder to sell a LLL in the REAL WORLD than a everyday domain.
people are buying LLL as an investment for resale more than anything else.

look at the sales figures in sedo, greatnames etc etc etc. the figures are there for everyone to see.

even LLL .com's have taken a MASSIVE beating over the last 12 months.

FACT. unless its an recognized acronym its harder to sell

well my my domain sales for everyday domains out weight LLL by 99%

its harder to sell a LLL in the REAL WORLD than a everyday domain.
people are buying LLL as an investment for resale more than anything else.

look at the sales figures in sedo, greatnames etc etc etc. the figures are there for everyone to see.

even LLL .com's have taken a MASSIVE beating over the last 12 months.

FACT. unless its an recognized acronym its harder to sell

You make some good points, but LLLs show their value through their liquidity potential. Domains arent very liquid assetts in general, and LLLs are the most liquid domains,and that speaks volumes. The popularity of 3character.com which we all probably know about.LLLs also get good traffic too.

Finally, LLLs still have the advantage of playing the supply and demand game better than most types of domains, except NNNs.

You make some good points, but LLLs show their value through their liquidity potential. Domains arent very liquid assetts in general, and LLLs are the most liquid domains,and that speaks volumes. The popularity of 3character.com which we all probably know about.LLLs also get good traffic too.

Finally, LLLs still have the advantage of playing the supply and demand game better than most types of domains, except NNNs.

I do agree with Warbux as LLL's are the BEST investment, but you cannot predict a sale , nor the weather.

the latest domain sales with .com's have had a severe beating due to the U.S economy.\
the sales growth with the auction sites has been in .de / .co.uk

dont get me wrong, personally LLL.in's are GOLD and worth keeping for the right price.
but selling is harder, you need to work a little harder :)

I had 30+ LLL.co and dumped all of them

at the end of the day, its all about what people are buying and the prices are dictated by the desperation of people selling.

I think the MAIN issue with domains right now is people expect 'INSTANT return on investment', thats never going to happen in any market beside prostitution or drug dealing

if you want regular sales so you can invest in more TOP quality domains? then everyday domains do well to help achieve this (every dollar adds up)

i use the everyday domains to fund my 'boutique' LLL.com domains
if you have the capital RIGHT NOW, invest in LLL.com as they are at the lowest prices in 10years.

LLL.in are a FANTASTIC investment, but in this world economy they wont do well at this present time....we just have to wait for the market to fluctuate again.

look at domains the same way you would invest in gold (prices go up / prices go down) and none of us have a crystal ball to predict this

the .in market is safe but we must ride the market wave even if at a cost (renewals)

Warbux has many valid points and owning a heap of LLL,you really cant go wrong, you just need to wait a little longer and not sell for <$100

@warbux, im afraid that I disagree with you in regards to the new extensions not having an effect on .Ins. I actually think that the new extensions could possibly have a massive effect on the value of .Ins in the future. You gave .mobi and .asia as examples of extensions which did not dilute the value of .In, .Com, .co.uk, .de ect.......yes you are correct they did not! BUT.....we are in a totally different situation, these were only 4-5 new extensions that .In had to compete with, but in 3-6 years .In WILL BE competing against HUNDREDS if not a possibility of THOUSANDS of new extensions.....so even if 10 of those HUNDREDS of new extensions (which is a low percentage) becomes popular in India or worldwide, then this will DEFINITELY dilute the worth of .Ins

SO the only way to reduce the risk on our investments is to start building a reputation for .Ins which is similar in aspect to .co.uk, .de and even .com BY BUILDING GOOD QUALITY WEBSITES, so that by the time the new extensions start getting released, .In will have already established itself in the minds of indians as being the primary extension to own for their businesses BUT if we just sit on these names without development and wait for other extensions to be released, businesses will go elsewhere where they can get a better deal on newer extensions and start developing them straight away and this will work against us, as the population of india will start recognising OTHER extensions as being the associated with GOOD QUALITY websites and businesses........and that my friends will be the END OF OUR INVESTMENTS.

SO AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING OVER AND OVER AGAIN, lets get together and START DEVELOPING!!

personally i think .in is in safe hands.

just look at the population of india.

the only thing that will hold it back .in domains in the short term is the lack of development of EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY domains......this forum has killer domains.
just because you own the keyword doesnt mean instant success......you still need to work for it

developing is easy and can be done on a budget.

you can use the same template if you abide by a few simple rules to avoid 'duplicate content' this helps heaps in SEO

1. rename your images
logo.png -> keyworddomain-logo.png
(get your images listed in google images)

2. rewrite your content to differ from the other sites
(girlfriends are normally better with wording of content......us guys are pretty dumb)

3. target your biggest competitor and use their keywords against them
(use an seo tool to study their ranking for certain keywords and use it against them)

4. dont sit and wait for a sale
(probability is a bitch and never really works....well on the quantum level it does eventually)

5. apply to as many of the domain auction houses as possible
sedo, greatnames etc etc (you guys are sitting on nice domains) ...dont forget Flippa.c*m (it seems to perform better than sedo for sales)

6. if your domain has an 'everyday' use
(use a free wordpress template and use some of the free seo plugins etc)

7. if you have many 'related' keyword domains
use these domains to give 'link juice' as google now give better preference to 'keyword' backlinks that have good content

example: if your domain is 'construction' and you have 'building supplies' as another domain
use the exact keywords as a link (dont forget to use the 'title' attribute to show the keyword)
<* href="http //buildingsupplies.??" title="Building Supplies" >Building Supplies</*> and vice versa
google LOVES this as its relevant linking

8. NEVER DO KEYWORD STUFFING.

9. AVOID DIRECTORIES as google treat many of them as 'spam farms' and if you link to & from them google will treat you as a spam farmer

the web is full of free resources so spend some time getting to know them
many of you have hosting accounts so offer a 'web space swap'
(you give me 50mb storage and hosting and i give you 50mb hosting)

just remember that YOU have the domain so YOU have the power, just learn how to use it.
being small is better than being BIG, remember you have flexibility and can adjust things quicker than a big company that is dictated by 'policy and procedure'.....that is YOUR strength..so abuse this power

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom