Lease a domain?

IT.com
I read about leasing out a domain. I believe this is usually by a domainer who wants to hold on to a premium domain and increase its value.

As a domain is an intangible, how does this really work? Especially if the registrant and lessee are in geographically different locations?

I have thought of a solution, may be it is already in vogue? Again, this would work better only if the two parties( Domain holder and the developer of the website) are residents or citizens of that particular country, but not necessarily physically present.

1. Float a Pvt. Ltd company if India or an LLC if US.
2. Have the two parties as part of this company
3. Transfer the domain to this entity.
4. Now the orginal registrant can give access to the domain for development.
5. Cost of developing,upkeep and maintenance the responsibility of the developer
6. Developed Website for profit sharing or revenue sharing?

Your thoughts?

I've never leased a domain, but I don't think it needs to be anything that complicated. A good contract is needed. After that, the domain owner just needs to point the name servers where the lessee wants. I suppose if there is a lack of trust, the domain could be held in trust by a lawyer as well.

It looks like you might be more interested in a profit sharing agreement though? That would certainly be more complex.

I've never leased a domain, but I don't think it needs to be anything that complicated. A good contract is needed. After that, the domain owner just needs to point the name servers where the lessee wants. I suppose if there is a lack of trust, the domain could be held in trust by a lawyer as well.

It looks like you might be more interested in a profit sharing agreement though? That would certainly be more complex.

I would agree as well, a mutually agreed contract signed by lessor/lessee and point the name servers where the lessee wants. Else the other more complicated option available as well. cheers

Thanks Jeff and Powler.

I was just wondering aloud. This perhaps one,albeit complex,way how we can create "Equitable Interest" in a premium domain and increase value, especially if domainer is non technical and/ or has too many properties to develop.

A nice problem to have for sure, especially if one of the . INs for our members do turn to be a XXX,XXX or even XX,XXX and they want to look at such options :)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom