Lawyers

IT.com

Swisslist

Are there any lawyers or law firms that make this business their business? In other words, are there lawyers who were trained specifically in laws regarding this end of the internet industry?

I would certainly hope so. Even though governmental agencies worldwide seem to be 5 years behind the technology curve. Is that what you're getting at? How could there be lawyers if there are few updated laws?

I think that there have been those kind of lawyers ever since the emergence of this kind of industry. As soon as they started writing laws to do with the internet then I'm sure some lawyers started to specialize in those laws.

I would certainly hope so. Even though governmental agencies worldwide seem to be 5 years behind the technology curve. Is that what you're getting at? How could there be lawyers if there are few updated laws?

Pretty much. And it seems to me that these lawyers are in a prime position to draft and submit new laws because they are on the front lines so to speak.

You have a good point there, I never thought of that. From what I understand, common people like us can even draft up proposals for new laws.

Can't we?

I think that it is possible for us to propose these new laws, but as for getting them passed that's another whole level that I'm not sure is possible for us ordinary folk.

There will always be people who will tend to do things differently, and lawyers are definitely not an exception. Nonetheless, and based on what I think is the case, most lawyers tend to specialize in more than just one field.

I agree with everyone who posted above me. Lawyers specialize in just about everything you can think of and sometimes more than one thing. I'm sure there's someone who handles internet business.

Trust lawyers to jump at any emerging opportunity and make money. If I was looking for a lawyer to handle any issue to do with the internet industry, it would be paramount to ask about past history or experience.

I would say that most lawyers have an understanding of general law then there are those that specialize in one or two fields. The internet industry is always changing and new laws keep coming up. It looks like a lucrative field IMO.

You have a good point there, I never thought of that. From what I understand, common people like us can even draft up proposals for new laws.

Can't we?
Best leave it to the lobbyist and big money really, at least that's how it seems.

I think these cases are largely decided by the we already have on the books at the moment. Most of them seem too cite issues with contract law, interstate commerce, trademark infringement, patent claims, privacy violations, utility laws, free speech rights, property rights, and so on.

Best leave it to the lobbyist and big money really, at least that's how it seems.

I think these cases are largely decided by the we already have on the books at the moment. Most of them seem too cite issues with contract law, interstate commerce, trademark infringement, patent claims, privacy violations, utility laws, free speech rights, property rights, and so on.
That makes me wonder what would happen if changes needed to be made in most of the laws pertaining to matters domain and websites. Do the lobbyists always come through?

That makes me wonder what would happen if changes needed to be made in most of the laws pertaining to matters domain and websites. Do the lobbyists always come through?
When there's money to be made? Of course. Same with special interest groups, think tanks, PACs, and the like. Some non-profits might be in it support the greater good like net neutrality - Electronic Frontier Foundation https://www.eff.org/ But really, most are doing it because they're afraid ATT, Comcast, et al, will charge outrageous fees that only the wealthiest companies can pay. Of course, those fees will ultimately fall on the customers. And no matter what, the chairman who doesn't believe in net neutrality and actively lobbied against it for years, actually gets to make the decision.

I would love to see citizens have more influence! It might be possible for the average citizen to draft laws and get them passed by their local school board, maybe even city government. Theoretically, you could draft a law, have every single person you know contact your senator or representative about it, which might convince the congressperson to sponsor the law. That law would then need to get through whatever committee it falls under, then get it voted in by both chambers and signed by the president. Of course, by that point, your law probably won't resemble what you actually hope to accomplish very much. Negotiations take place, riders will be tacked on, big money will exert as much influence as possible. But even if the law survives against all odds, well as soon as the parties switch majority your law might be voted out all together, or not enforced, or it could fall apart once challenged by the courts. Don't forget that congress is largely made up of lawyers, business people, and professors. I wouldn't pit a lay citizen against that.

But, what domain/website protections do you believe the United States is lacking at the moment? The only possible unsolved tech issues that I can remember involve criminal law like cyber stalking, bullying, hate crimes, suicide pacts, gambling, prostitution and such. Then again, a judge recently found Michelle Carter guilty for encouraging her boyfriend to kill himself over text message. The judge used old laws that were already on the books for a guilty verdict of involuntary manslaughter. There's got to be something I'm missing. Clue me in please.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom