Its.in

IT.com

Aarhint

Hi,

I have 2 queries

a) Is this domain worth for 3000$ ?

b) If I get this domain, what all can be the business opportunities.

In other words, for what kind of business will the domain ITS.in suit.

Kindly help

a) Yes. Its a very good LLL.in

b)I just checked acronymfinder, and its got alot of acronyms involved "IT", and with IT only growing in INdia, there's alot of development potential for this name(in addition to the other meanings that "ITS" has).

Either way, this is a super premium LLL.in that will only keep/increase its value with time.

Hi,

Its is a generic word, so I dont see a point in it being a trademark.

Basically trademark rule does not hold good for dictionary words / generic words.

Am I right?

what kind of business will the domain ITS.in suit.

Aside from the acronyms mentioned by warbux and domainerin, one other option is to use it as a domain hack for "It's in" (ie focusing on what's popular, what's in fashion, what's new etc). Or use it as a domain hack for "It's India." Obviously, you'd have to think of ways to monetise such a site or business.

Basically trademark rule does not hold good for dictionary words / generic words.

Am I right?

There are exceptions. For example, if the generic word obtains a secondary meaning. See:

Tradmark and Domains

Note that well-known marks get extra protection. For more info, see:

MSN Awarded to Microsoft

I don't know if ITS is a trademark in India or if there's a company that brands under the term ITS. To be on the safe side, I advise you do some research and don't park the domain.

http://www.wipo.int/ipdl/en/madrid/search-struct.jsp

There are 19 entries in the database and e.g. its.de is since over 40 years here etablished. So in my opinion there is a risk buying such a name.

That's a great resource, thanks HappyHour! BTW, India is not currently part of the Madrid system but I've read that they might join.

As these particular TMs were registered outside of India, I think the important question to ask is: are any of the "ITS" trademarks used and known in India?

If yes, then obviously you must use ITS.in in a completely different industry than what the TM is being used for. However, if the TM is a well-known or famous one, then that's when it is risky to own such a domain (even if you operate in a different industry).

Thanks Ceres.

How much is this domain worth according to you?

Sorry Aarhint, I still haven't grasped the art of giving domain appraisals. I do think it's a great domain though. Perhaps try asking for an appraisal on the domain appraisals forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you help me with few cases where in a dictionary word used as a Trademark and the complaint has won the battle?

From what I understood, a dictionary word cannot be used as a trademark.

Yes that's right, the basic principle is that dictionary words cannot be trademarked. However, there are exceptions to this rule (which I've already outlined in my previous post).

As requested, here are some example cases where the complainant won the domain dispute:

INDRP: Wills.in (respondent did not contest the case)

UDRP: eHotel.com

NAF: eHelper.com (respondent did not contest the case)

Also, FYI, here are a few LLL (letter letter letter) domains that have been lost:

INDRP: Axa.in (respondent did not contest the case)

UDRP: RWA.org (respondent did not contest the case)

NAF: AAA.biz (respondent did not contest the case)

The point to remember is that the above cases are exceptions to the norm.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom