IS the gold rush over? SHOULD we be worried about this article from Forbes?

IT.com

Truekumar

Country flag
After The Gold Rush: Domain Names Have Lost Their Glitter - Forbes

The article is quite worrying and add this to the fact that there are potentially thousands of new extensions being released onto the market in the next two years, are we all investing far too much money into an extension which is never going to mature for us? Was .COM the last chance to make it big? And is the industry now dead?

Let me know your thoughts on this one guys!

The Heritage auction was wrong time wrong place, wrong reserves. What could have been wrong was wrong.

I firmly believe the majority of the new extensions will be damp squibs and fortunes will be lost on them.

There is still demand for good quality country based domains and India is likely to be one of the better ones. Despite the positive noises from RS and the gang this has been a pretty awful year for domain sales across the board, backlash from a dreadful couple of years in financial markets etc.

I think the coming year will be much more positive and probably a few good .in sales kicking it off!

The only kicker in my positive outlook is that I am often wrong! :rolleyes:

After The Gold Rush: Domain Names Have Lost Their Glitter - Forbes

The article is quite worrying and add this to the fact that there are potentially thousands of new extensions being released onto the market in the next two years, are we all investing far too much money into an extension which is never going to mature for us? Was .COM the last chance to make it big? And is the industry now dead?

Let me know your thoughts on this one guys!

Read the comments on that article, its more telling. The author of the article sounds like a newbie or an outsider who considers all domainers as squatters. This is a typical reaction of people who don't understand the domain name market. Invest for the long term and obviously not all names are going to be gold.

This year has not been as good for .coms or .in's, but you can't wrong with either of those. The new gtld's are a different story, there is going to some big sales and huge disappointments, but overall most will be niche players only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the new extensions will fail miserably and make .com and ccTLDs worth more.

There are already several extensions that are similar to the new ones coming that have failed to take off. Just think of .travel and .aero.

As to .in, I still believe it will become a great investment. We just need to be patient and set aside for those annoying annual renewals. :D

IMHO, very very few new extensions will get any traction with users in next few years. Many will fail, but with every failure of the new extension, it will bolster .com and ccTLDs.

There is little protection for the rights of early domain investors, so people think twice about investing large amounts.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom