Is It A Trademark Problem?

IT.com

pn21

Country flag
As you know, trademarks can be a big problem for domainnames, if you register one including a company or a product name.

If i register i.e. iphone.in, it is certanly a trademark problem, but what if i register something like i.e. iphonecovers.in? Do you think a domainname like this can cause problem?

iphonecovers.in belongs to someone else, I do not know who and I just give it as an example. I am thinking of buying it.

NO and YES - both answers as case to case issue differs! we think it will create problem with coined word like TM term plus any word .

It all depends on TM holder is using the added term or not and secondly the TM is strong TM or not ?

If you take example of iphone covers in this case iphone + covers , we donot think that Apple is in the business of making iphone covers but iphone is strong TM so apple can claim the domain name.

But if you apply for TM in India for word "iphonecover.in" it is possible that you can get this TM if any objection is not filed by Apple , once you have TM then you get protection .

So case to case issue differs but in majority cases strong TM is required to get hold of such coined word domains, we still remember the case of Googlemail.com where Google wins the NAF case for this coined word much before the Gmail launch. When Google filed case they were not providing any email services but their TM was strong enough to get this domain name from the registrant.

I would be careful!
Especially Appl* is very well known for not showing any sense of humour in terms of trademark issues.
(And Iphon* is surely one of their strongest and most famous brands. I think it could be risky . . .)
Regards
nitro

Why even consider such a risk, a very quick search shows that the likes of MobilePhoneCovers.in is available and if you really wanted to MobilePhoneCovers.in/iphone/etc would be even better?

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom