IPL Contest Viewed as Gambling

IT.com

Ceres

The Indian Premier League (IPL) recently introduced a text-messaging contest (6UP) whereby a person must guess the number of runs that will be scored in a given over. The minimum prize is Rs10,000.

However, India's Sports Minister, M S Gill, has forced the suspension of the contest as he states it amounts to gambling.

According to him even if gambling were legal, the role of the BCCI is not “to make money and enlarge their TV viewership base.” This is a sharp rap on the knuckles for the BCCI who many in international cricket see as a law unto itself and who seems to be accountable to no one.
Read more here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it happens all the time, just unofficially...

Also, isn't this something for a court to decide rather than a Minister?

From what I understand, it was the BCCI who actually stopped the contest. However, they did this due to pressure from the sports minister...

(If BCCI can have 6up, can we have betandwin.in - just a hypothetical website with Paypal integration for taking bets? We could then even bet at what price a domain would sell on sedo or bido. Wouldn't that be cool?)

Back to business:

1. Are all betting/ gamling sites banned in India?

2. Can Indians (in India) bet on websites that do not have a .in/co.in domain or Indian business registration?

My understanding is that the official government stance is that online gambling is illegal in India.

What that means for gambling domains I don't know exactly. However, there have been some high profile sales - Poker.in, Bingo.co.in, Blackjack.in...

I'll add this to the list of question to ask a lawyer.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom