India's Whois database

IT.com

Ceres

I think it would be great if the .IN Registry introduces a Whois inaccuracy report, similar to ICANN's new online reporting system. The ICANN form allows internet users to report incomplete or inaccurate Whois data.

Right now, I don't see a similar online form on the .IN Registry website.

Personally, I would be nervous about dealing with someone who has provided false/inaccurate information. If the .IN Registry assists in eliminating false whois information, my guess is that it will help reduce the number of potential domain name scams (unfortunately, not all of them!).

What do you think? Can you think of any major disadvantages if the .IN Registry introduced this online reporting system?

I think it will have only advantages..I mean if I am buying a genuine domain name..I need to be assured that the current registrant is also genuine..I still think that you can fake your Whois Information and get away with it..so theres no sure shot way by which you can be assured of the identity of the actual owner..

That's true Raghav, I'm sure in some instances people can still fake Whois data. But there's no reason for the .IN Registry and/or us to make it easy for them. ;)

If the INRegistry ever does introduce a Whois inaccuracy system, I hope they actually follow-up on the reports otherwise the system will be useless.

According to the article mentioned below, it is alleged that ICANN has not followed up on specific reports filed via their Whois inaccuracy system. The reports concern an individual who is trying to impersonate someone else in order to defraud.

Whois Abuse Still Out of Control:

Finally, I also complained to ICANN through a formal process called the WDPR or Whois Data Problem Reporting system.

Then on Dec. 19, 2008, ICANN announced that the WDPR system had been revamped and improved and I figured that it was time to give it another shot.

Finally, I decided to go through normal press channels to see if anything more would be done. The ICANN press person, who really is a nice guy and helpful, promptly passed it on to someone who worked in that area and said they would get back to me. Two weeks later and guess what? Nobody got back to me.

Whois accuracy is important, otherwise you might end up being defrauded by an individual impersonating someone else...

but most of these country code TLD registries are not in contract with ICANN they way the gTLD registries are

but most of these country code TLD registries are not in contract with ICANN they way the gTLD registries are

That's true RaghavK. However, INRegistry can still introduce a Whois inaccuracy system that they themselves can manage.

BTW, there's an update to the article I posted. ICANN did eventually forward the complaint to the relevant registrar. The registrar ended up transferring the domain (which had the false Whois) to the person who filed the complaint - see here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree with you..its just that ccTLD registries have a greater chance of getting away with any foul play..but, yes I do not see a reason why the IN Registry cant come up with its own thing..

Just to provide an update to this thread. While there isn't an Whois online reporting system, the new .IN Registrant Agreement makes it clear that Whois accuracy is a must. It also states that proxy services are not allowed.

1. Contact Details: The Registrant shall provide to Registrar accurate and reliable contact details and promptly correct and update them during the term of the Registered Name, including: the full name, postal address, email address, voice telephone number, and fax number if available of the Registrant; name of authorized person for contact purposes, in case of a Registrant that is an organization, association, or corporation. The email address submitted in the contact information will be that of the Registrant only. This correct information should be available in WHOIS of .IN Registry, and it is the duty of the Registrant to check this information from time to time and make sure that it is up-to-date.

2. Inaccurate Information: A Registrant's willful or grossly negligent provision of inaccurate, false or unreliable information, and in the event the registrant willfully or grossly neglects to promptly update information provided to Registrar shall constitute a material breach of the Registrant's Registration Agreement with the Registrar and be a basis for cancellation of the Registered Name, and any other action under the relevant laws of India.

3. Proxy/Privacy Services: Any kind of proxy services are not allowed, and if the data is wrong or masked out by any proxy/ privilege protection services, the Registrant shall not be recognized as the owner of the domain name.

I'm not sure if these terms were in existence before - in any event, I think it's a good move by the .IN Registry. It will help prevent some domain scams and help towards providing a better image of the domain industry.

What are your views on the terms quoted above? Would INForum members ever take the risk of buying a domain from someone who has provided false Whois or is hiding behind a proxy service?

Chandan, I figured it was a joke. That's why I was nice enough not to send you my list of requests. ;)

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom