Indian Websites Hacked

IT.com
Re: Indian Websites Hacked - I saved my domain

I had setup a Short URL service on gwy.in

One fine day last month I received a notice from CERT that my site was "leading users unknowingly to malicious downloads".

I immediately blocked public access by password protecting the site through cpanel and saving it from getting banned. But, CERTs premise was wrong, which I wrote to them.

My site was NOT leading any unsuspecting users anywhere, because:
1. I did not list the short URLs publicly.
2. The only indexed page of my site on all popular search engines was the home page which just provided a field for putting long URL and a submit button.
3. Some unscrupulous users used my service to generate short URL to malicious sites and they might have circulated it to their network, who would then have clicked on the link "knowingly!"

All said and done, I finally got hold of a script which allows choice of private access.

This is just to let everyone know that "we" could "unknowingly" get our domain banned if we are not careful because interpretation of technology and policies may not be same at all agencies.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom