Indian residents will be issued Unique Identity (UID) numbers

IT.com

Ceres

India intends to issue a Unique Identity (UID) number to all residents of the country. The first UID numbers should be issued by early 2010.

There has been a long felt need in the country for a system of unique identification of every individual for a variety of purposes such as better targeting of government’s development schemes, regulatory purposes (including taxation and licensing), security purposes, banking and financial sector activities, etc.

You can find the official press release at: PIB Press Release

Of course, not everyone likes ID numbers and ID cards. There are organisations that are against such ID management, for example this British organisation: NO2ID:why not?

I feel the concept is good enough and there will be so many benefits. I think govt should go ahead with this scheme.

I think the scheme is beneficial to the government as well as the people in India. The government has put in mind it's people's best interest. Adhering to this system would not only be advantageous for the dev't of their country but useful too.

Looks like India's ID project will start moving forward.

Forbes reports that Nandan Nilekani has resigned from Infosys Technologies and is joining the Indian government. Nilekani is to take charge of the project that will provide identification numbers to Indian citizens.

Distributing ID numbers to India's 1.1 billion population will not be a quick and easy task!

Cartoon: UID Project

I came across this funny cartoon about the UID project. Let's hope the project doesn't take as long as predicted in the cartoon. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
UIDAI.gov.in

If you have questions about the UID project, then check out the government's newly created website: Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)

Will getting a UID be compulsory?

No, it will not be compulsory to get a UID, it is voluntary. However in time, certain service providers may require a person to have a UID to deliver services.

Will there be a card issued? How will the resident know what their number is?

No card will be issued by the UIDAI, but the resident will receive a letter from the UID authority giving the person the UID number and the information of the person that was collected.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom