India wants Rupee currency symbol

IT.com

Ceres

India wants its own international symbol for the Indian Rupee. If you have an artistic flair, you can enter the government's contest to design the symbol. You can read more here.

I have an idea for a currency symbol. As I read the rules, entrants in the competition must be Indian nationals. In that case, I'm out. If anyone who is eligible to enter the competition is interested in entering my design, PM me and I'll give details. We'll split the entry fee and any eventual prizes (I can always dream). I'm barely artistic, so you'll have to draw the idea on paper to enter. I can only describe the idea in words. I don't know how to use computer drawing programs, sorry.

I read that five designs have been shortlisted in the Indian Rupee symbol contest. Unfortunately for us, the designers cannot reveal their designs until the contest is over (which will likely be in March 2010).

रू
Is the symbol they already have in Hindi, translates to Rs (Rupees). I appreciate they may be trying to unify but won't a new symbol cause confusion, and how will it be typed?

how will it be typed?

Now that's a good question, wot. Will they need to have it added as a special character on the standard keyboard? Doesn't sound like an easy task ...let's hope this exact question has already been considered and they have a plan!

No major technical challenge

Once the new Design is approved, Govt will apply for new unicode assignment for that symbol.
Software vendors will tweak their operating systems (OS), to make that small but important change recognising a new symbol in the software vocabulary .
Once implemented, when you press an assigned key or a combination of keys, the OS will automatically recognise it as referring to the rupee symbol.

It could also open a new market for keyboards and printers with the latest symbol incorporated.
Summarized from: New software code for Re opens windows of biz opportunities-Software-Infotech-The Economic Times

Last edited by a moderator:
14949595_Rupee_symbol.jpg

well , its not bad !! now the technicalities,designer

is now short distance away too !!

inr.jpg

SO THIS IS IT EH? I think my 4 year old daughter drew something like that in her class yesterday - hehe.

All kidding aside, its a pretty neat thing!

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom