India to Get Its First Major Domain Conference

IT.com
.In Registry formation process was started in 2004 and Myself (Sanjeev Goyal) and Bhavin(Directi) was part of that team , I still remember that I sent a detail policy documents to Ministry and due to some vested interest that document was not fully adopted. I recommended in that also that domain name parking and End user Sale and Purchase of domain names are essence of any registry, and without that you cannot achieve large no. of registrations. (I still have copy of that document).

I am always in favor of accepting Domaining as business but at the same time I want to make it clear that I am completely against the ip right violation, if you have generics or developed domain names sale purchase should not be illegal as it was not violating anyone right. If selling developed domain name with website is legal then how can a domain name sale be illegal ? because when you sale developed (running) website to someone then domain name is always center of that sale and if selling of domain name is illegal then in such takeovers deal should be less of domain names ?

I want to make reference of one Delhi High Court case where I was one of the party. the case was between me (Noukri.com) and Info Edge (Naukri.com) ( Please note that Naukri or Noukri is generic term and even TM issued on such terms are with clear disclaimer by India and USA TM registry.) , in the particular case when Info Edge felt that they will loose the case against me so they went for out of court settlement with me (I am not going in details of the case), And in that settlement it was clearly filed before the Delhi High Court that I surrender the domain name right to them against huge consideration ? Now tell me how can you say that selling the domain name or surrendering domain name rights against consideration is illegal ? When High Court itself accept the settlement plea. And My Attorney was one who drafted the INDRP policy for .In registry and Indian Cyber Law for Govt. of India and he was also Director - Legal in .In registry for years. And Info Edge hired one of the very famous Current Central Minister as his attorney. Now just think if that transaction was illegal then these attorney's are ignorant of law ?

Hi, Is UDRP and INDRP both different ? Do Indian Court have upper hand over ICANN ? for .IN TLD.
I have rarely read that court is involved in UDRP case and Its mostly settle by the UDRP Panel

Thanks
Zaki
NamingZone

Folks, we believe .IN Policy is RIGHT in this case (as far as the extracts from cyberlaywer are considered).....this is about collusion and CONFLICT of INTEREST, we cannot have registrars drop catching, brokering or domaineering for profit. They have a distinct inside advantage among other unfair trade practice issues if allowed to sell/broker domains. We have a strong view on this since since early 1990s we have seen what abusive tactics registrars could use with such advantage, even in early 2000 a very dominant global domain registrar who has now filed for an IPO - used the advantage of "insider control" to auction off one of our travel domain for a whopping premium!

However there are clearly issues in implementation and enforcement by .IN registry, allowing use of creative "overseas entities" or multiple DBAs, corporate structures is one of them which is being used to avoid appearance of involvement. Here is the original policy notification (https://registry.in/Registry Advisory LA01Sales of .IN Names by Registrars).

Please also note two more such Policy notifications were published (about whois data accuracy etc) and NONE since 2005. It tells you how active the governance has been....The policy document has not been updated since 2004 either.

We do not see any policy which states a domain owner cannot "trade" a domain when owner is not a registrar (directly or indirectly) - so there should be no issues holding an auction or brokering a sale as part of the agenda during conference events as long as the organizers of the event are not registrars.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are unnecessarily dragging Mitsu in this discussion… Mr Goyal is one of the most respected & knowledgeable person in our industry.

Lot of people had misconception that .IN domains can not be sold in the aftermarket… cyberlawyer has made a great effort for our community by researching on this issue and the terms & conditions of .IN registry and telling us that there is no rule that prohibits aftermarket sales of .IN domains.

Since it is clarified that aftermarket sales of .IN domains is not prohibited we should discuss how we can increase value of .IN to bring it on par with .com DOMAINX conference on 7th Sept 2014 at Hyderabad is a very good opportunity for all of us to discuss & brainstorm on this and other issues in detail.

Hi,
Sorry this Post looks like going off topic,
But I have one question on this ,
In UDRP in general if the matter can be closed offline between seller and buyer ( say under 3-5k US$ ) it will be preferred,
as it will cost good amount of money to file UDRP , Lawyer, etc. If anything is above that amount, someone may go for filing a UDRP

Similarly, do we have any rough estimate or figure for the cost involved for filing INDRP ( lawyer, any fee, etc )

Thanks
Zaki.

This post is for those who does not know the exact law regarding domain name dispute;

Any Domain name case (.Com, .In or any other GTLD/CCTLD) can be fight in any local court in any country (which is part of ICANN's GAC membership) . ICANN or any local registry has to follow the ruling of these court.

It is the privilege of the complainant that which way he choose to file the complaint , he has option to file in local court or go for arbitration through (WIPO or NAF for directly control TLD's of ICANN or for CC TLD's their own system of arbitration).

Courts are always have a upper hand on any arbitration process , these arbitration panel's decision can be challenge in your own country's local court depending on eligibility for jurisdiction (Registrar or one of the party should be resident of that country).

There are lot of instances where WIPO's arbitration panel decision was challenged in Mumbai High Court and the decision was injected by the court and ICANN has to follow the court ruling.

This is very complex subject and you will learn this over the period of times.

@Indian Bob : Thanks for your comments , Nobody is dragging us, some members are curious to know the details and it is always good that they want to learn.But some people have tendency to violate the law and not to respect the law but they will not forget to point fingers at others, If we talk about .IN registry rules, it has lot of other rules also which lot of people does not follow (or say difficult to follow) but the same people will write here forgetting about their own deeds.

We personally know one of our members who regularly wrote emails against our own domainers community to registry, he complaints to registry about the holding of domain names (although he owns thousands of domain names himself) or objecting about the whois record of our own members (out of Jealousy). And they pertained as saint on this forum but we know their true colors and what they do behind the back. But rest assured not a single member is harmed. On appropriate time we will give you all the details of that member.

Thanks for support of this community to Mitsu. We are the only registrar available to interact on this forum and sometime some people donot like this but we love you all so we are here.

Hi, Is UDRP and INDRP both different ? Do Indian Court have upper hand over ICANN ? for .IN TLD.
I have rarely read that court is involved in UDRP case and Its mostly settle by the UDRP Panel

Thanks
Zaki
NamingZone

Thank you Mr. Goyal for the explanation and participation, and of course for supporting us at DOMAINX 2014 Conference one way or the other :)

Guys, as I stated in one of my earlier posts, we are still working on the DOMAINX agenda and you all will be amazed at effectiveness of the day!!

10 International & National Speakers have confirmed participation for the first ever domain name conference in India scheduled on 7th September in Hyderabad and more names to be announced in next few days.

This is going to be record breaking and path setting event in the Indian history with 15+ speakers. You, as an attendee would be able to interact & network with the leading domain name industry experts.

Current list of speakers are:

1. Ron Jackson (DNJournal.com)
2. Michael Castello (CCiN.com)
3. Karen J Bernstein (Bernstein IP Law Firm)
4. Deepak Daftari (Domain Name Investor, seller of Tie.com)
5. Michael Gilmour (ParkLogic.com)
6. W. David Snead (eCommerce, Copyright, Trademark, Licensing Attorney & Internet Law Counsel)
7. James Wester (Domain Name Investor, Broker & JamesWester.com)
8. Morgan Linton (Domain Name Investor & MorganLinton.com)
9. Jon Yau (StockPhoto.com)
10. Ritvik Vikas Mishra (Cabinet Secretariat, Govt of India)
11. ...................

Keep watching this space for more names or visit us at www.dnoai.com/domainx

10 International & National Speakers have confirmed participation for the first ever domain name conference in India scheduled on 7th September in Hyderabad and more names to be announced in next few days.

This is going to be record breaking and path setting event in the Indian history with 15+ speakers. You, as an attendee would be able to interact & network with the leading domain name industry experts.

Current list of speakers are:

1. Ron Jackson (DNJournal.com)
2. Michael Castello (CCiN.com)
3. Karen J Bernstein (Bernstein IP Law Firm)
4. Deepak Daftari (Domain Name Investor, seller of Tie.com)
5. Michael Gilmour (ParkLogic.com)
6. W. David Snead (eCommerce, Copyright, Trademark, Licensing Attorney & Internet Law Counsel)
7. Sanjeev Goyal (Domain Name Investor & Mitsu.in)
8. Morgan Linton (Domain Name Investor & MorganLinton.com)
9. Jon Yau (StockPhoto.com)
10. Ritvik Vikas Mishra (Cabinet Secretariat, Govt of India)
11. ...................

Keep watching this space for more names or visit us at www.dnoai.com/domainx

Nice line up so far, still waiting for the registry participation?

Looking good.

Nice line up so far, still waiting for the registry participation?

Looking good.

You will be in for a BIG surprise bud when we are done announcing our Speakers & Participants :)

No Business !! Who are in for Scotch with Friends !!! :cool: ?

I'm in Hyd and Waiting..........................Party time !!!

Guys, there is an INTERESTING and very IMPORTANT development, that I will be sharing with you all soon!! 8)

Guys, as I stated few days ago, I have an interesting development to share:

We are thrilled to announce that Adam Dicker will be speaking at DOMAINX 2014 Conference in Hyderabad on 7th September putting all the rumors and speculations to rest. Those who are not aware, Adam is the CEO of largest (paid) domain name forum; DNForum.com. He is also a leading domain name and search engine optimization expert with thousands of premium domain names in his portfolio.

More to be shared soon.. keep us motivated with your support!!

Guys, as I stated few days ago, I have an interesting development to share:

We are thrilled to announce that Adam Dicker will be speaking at DOMAINX 2014 Conference in Hyderabad on 7th September putting all the rumors and speculations to rest. Those who are not aware, Adam is the CEO & Founder of largest (paid) domain name forum; DNForum.com. He is also a leading domain name and search engine optimization expert with thousands of premium domain names in his portfolio.

More to be shared soon.. keep us motivated with your support!!

Score!

However -I think you will find DNForum.com was founded by Dan Gessler sold to Greg Ricks and then sold to AdamDicker

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom