India Now world’s 3rd Largest Internet User after USA & China

IT.com
Thanks for the info Freeads and I must say that is quite interesting BUT and this is a very big 'BUT', most of those users will not being accessing the web in the way that the west and china do, which an in-depth access to e-commerce, services, information provision etc.......INDIANS are only accessing the web for a little social networking (e.g. Facebook) BUT they are not utilising it's vast potential to them in an educated and informed manner! THIS IS THE PROBLEM! And this is EXACTLY why we should be developing our .INs as quickly as possibly and enabling fully live websites to MATTER in the DAILY LIVES of REGULAR (sometimes quite often non-educated) INDIANS!

We need to penetrate into local dialects, local areas, languages, provisions ect..........to give to the PEOPLE OF INDIA they type of websites that REALLY MATTER TO THEM! Entertainment, services, information, products, shopping, discounts, video, music, e-medicine, etc........

BUT how can .IN extension websites become engrained into the lives of users IF we are keeping the best names parked up and hidden away, hoping for their value to increase?! DEVELOP, DEVELOP, DEVELOP!!! Let's get the ball rolling guys and start making some important moves on these names, let's get endusers using .IN rather than just logging onto Facebook for 5 minutes to check their message from their friends or relatives. WE NEED Indians to start using the WHOLE of the web and not just one or two social networking sites!

I would agree with all in this comment. The singular most important thing is GNP that only comes from home consumers, that equals = education for all. Everything else is secondary.

Thank you Wanda! For once, someone on this site see's reason and long term development as the answer and key to ensure that the .IN extension survives and that this IS NOT some sort of guaranteed lottery for us .IN investors whom are all having .COM dreams!! It won't happen guys! Sorry!!! The game HAS CHANGED!!!

Thank you Wanda! For once, someone on this site see's reason and long term development as the answer and key to ensure that the .IN extension survives and that this IS NOT some sort of guaranteed lottery for us .IN investors whom are all having .COM dreams!! It won't happen guys! Sorry!!! The game HAS CHANGED!!!

Truekumar@ Thanks. I am interested in why you think "the game has changed" My view is that investment in all forms is good, that is in terms of financial and/or as an information learning curve ? My view is that home consumers = eduction that has to be in ones mother tongue ? the dichotomy is that the English speaking Indian that live in the high rise is feeding off a small minority that is limited by GNP? The majority will ultimately introduce more romanised Hindi search terms as it is part of the culture and much needed national identity ? ( BIMA as apposed to insurance) India is the areas bulwark of western democracy, $$$ will pour into a country that has GNP growth but not into an economy that is feeding off a small pool? Brand recall is crucial, language is limited, the dot IN & dot com are the brand all else are "in my view" classified ad lists. ?

The key to growth is not education, but stopping the rampant corruption in the Indian internet industry. Why is being the foulmouthed girlfriend or relative of a powerful government more important than experience, competence and hard work in the Indian internet industry?

@wanda. So HOW do we improve the .IN brand?? It's the same argument, the game has changed for domain investors as YES YOU ARE CORRECT, it is all about the brand and NOT keywords anymore. AND to improve the .in BRAND, we HAVE TO develop decent quality websites that are used on a regular basis by end users in India, otherwise they will STICK with the .com brand!

Most of the users with .in domain names are just trying to sell them and get whatever profit they get. No one is keen on making websites as it takes time. Problem is the way we think, problem is many of us(more than 50%) are just satisfied with $xx they just have no interest in making websites. They forget content is still king. Even those crappy .infos which dont even have proper name but has content+traffic are getting good interests from users on flippa.

@wanda. So HOW do we improve the .IN brand?? It's the same argument, the game has changed for domain investors as YES YOU ARE CORRECT, it is all about the brand and NOT keywords anymore. AND to improve the .in BRAND, we HAVE TO develop decent quality websites that are used on a regular basis by end users in India, otherwise they will STICK with the .com brand!

Truekumar@ I wrote that the dot COM - . IN are brands in there own right, I did "not" say it is not about keywords anymore. Would I like to own "Yatra" - "Khel" or any top or niche keyword that has that has the most important ingredient "Brand Recall" I Definitely would in the .COM or dot IN. Brand recall is the only way you will compete with the deep pockets of established name brands in terms of sustainable marketing budgets.
Would like to respectfully note your views regarding =
"The majority will ultimately introduce more romanised Hindi search terms as it is part of the culture and much needed national identity ? ( BIMA as apposed to insurance) India is the areas bulwark of western democracy, $$$ will pour into a country that has GNP growth but not into an economy that is feeding off a small pool?" (Small Existing Pool of Home Consumers)

I have read some of the recent comments. I will address the last 3 to 4 comments a bit later. We need some order to all this madness. lol.

Those who spend time and money developing in domain names are put under surveillance and subjected to harassment and numerous identity theft attempts by the cunning foul mouthed girlfriends of powerful people.

what ever the holla hu is right now about 1000s of new extension coming soon, I believe it wont really hurt .in 's rep at all. Reason I believe so is I have some awesome domain names with great keyword with quite unknown extension(domain names like fifa.pe for example). People dont even intend to bid on them but .ins are getting sold easily. So this new TLD whatever they might be wont really impact .in's reputation in market. Its growing market & soon you would see some big name using .ins for thr use. Yes definilty we need to develop sites on domain name with .in extension.

The beginning of the end for .IN ??? HOW will we survive in this new jungle of thousands of new extensions? ONLY ONE way and that is NOT just keyword names BUT development and traffic!!

Truekumar@ Keywords are traffic; Development comes with users and so back to education !! awaiting your comments ref =
"Truekumar@ I wrote that the dot COM - . IN are brands in there own right, I did "not" say it is not about keywords anymore. Would I like to own "Yatra" - "Khel" or any top or niche keyword that has that has the most important ingredient "Brand Recall" I Definitely would in the .COM or dot IN. Brand recall is the only way you will compete with the deep pockets of established name brands in terms of sustainable marketing budgets.
Would like to respectfully note your views regarding =
"The majority will ultimately introduce more romanised Hindi search terms as it is part of the culture and much needed national identity ? ( BIMA as apposed to insurance) India is the areas bulwark of western democracy, $$$ will pour into a country that has GNP growth but not into an economy that is feeding off a small pool?" (Small Existing Pool of Home Consumers)"

I differ with you on whether keywords matter or not.

As long as domains matter, KEYWORDs will always matter. I agree branding matters, but the more you brand, the more you need better content, which as we all know is still an issue on the internet.

Secondly, whoever thinks these "1000s" of new extensions will change the game for .IN is wrong. My first question is WHY WILL THESE NEW EXTENSIONS DO WELL? Some of the best of them will start with a strong buzz, but then that buzz will end shortly after it started and not change much.

What about all the crappy extensions already released? they still aren't doing well so why will new, even worse extensions do well? Lets not get carried away.

Finally, Walmart and amazon dont have to come into India for India's internet to develop and boom. Everyone knows INdians aregenerally good at math and engineering and IT, so believe me, its only a MATTER OF TIME before the Indian internet booms. Saying India is getting into a downturn economically is only real on the short term. Chance of Indian economic bust in the mid to long term is nearly impossible. Yes India's economy has issues NOW,but so do all economies of the world. India still holds big advantages economically when compared to other countries.

Please let us separate facts from perceptions. There are a good number of comments on this thread that contain plain perceptions but actually hold little fact. If you don't have patience, then .IN is not for you. The future for .IN is still solid because .IN represents the 2nd most populous national entity. what do those new extensions coming out represent? Mostly exoticism.But where have the exotic extensions gone? yup...down the drain. Exceptions don't make the rule. Even if the top 500 companies in the world buy from these new extensions, it wont change the tide against the consumption pattern of the 100s of millions of people all over the globe determining the destiny of these poorly grounded new extensions. I'm ready for the next round!! .IN cant lose yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I differ with you on whether keywords matter or not.

As long as domains matter, KEYWORDs will always matter. I agree branding matters, but the more you brand, the more you need better content, which as we all know is still an issue on the internet.

Secondly, whoever thinks these "1000s" of new extensions will change the game for .IN is wrong. My first question is WHY WILL THESE NEW EXTENSIONS DO WELL? Some of the best of them will start with a strong buzz, but then that buzz will end shortly after it started and not change much.

What about all the crappy extensions already released? they still aren't doing well so why will new, even worse extensions do well? Lets not get carried away.

Finally, Walmart and amazon dont have to come into India for India's internet to develop and boom. Everyone knows INdians aregenerally good at math and engineering and IT, so believe me, its only a MATTER OF TIME before the Indian internet booms. Saying India is getting into a downturn economically is only real on the short term. Chance of Indian economic bust in the mid to long term is nearly impossible. Yes India's economy has issues NOW,but so do all economies of the world. India still holds big advantages economically when compared to other countries.

Please let us separate facts from perceptions. There are a good number of comments on this thread that contain plain perceptions but actually hold little fact. If you don't have patience, then .IN is not for you. The future for .IN is still solid because .IN represents the 2nd most populous national entity. what do those new extensions coming out represent? Mostly exoticism.But where have the exotic extensions gone? yup...down the drain. Exceptions don't make the rule. Even if the top 500 companies in the world buy from these new extensions, it wont change the tide against the consumption pattern of the 100s of millions of people all over the globe determining the destiny of these poorly grounded new extensions. I'm ready for the next round!! .IN cant lose yet.

@LLL.in King. I Agree. I think this debate is an good learning curve for all ( Team Schwartz vs. Team Schilling. LIVE From T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Video Part 1 | The Rick Schwartz Domain Name and Traffic Blog RicksBlog.com and as much as I like FS a visionary on this occasion I agree with RS. In my humble opinion the GTLD's are good as another classified advertising list that Google will out-market by offering free website to consumers at some timeline. The cc or com have the edge of being a brand identity. As for the com's all being taken, I was sorry to have noted (to late) that tempobima & tempoinsurance was registered only two day back just as I tried to cover them : ( I will hold the dot in / develop and love being in this game of thrones, where else would I get the opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
@LLL.in King, im afraid that WITHOUT real quality BRANDING and DEVELOPMENT, keywords in any extension apart from .com are literally dead my friend! I am NOT saying that they will have zero worth as an investment, you may get a few $xxx for good ones or maybe even $xxxx's for premium ones BUT nothing more than that without genuine traffic as there will be far far too many cheaper options on the market with EXACTLY the SAME keywords on a variety of extensions, POSSIBLY even thousands of extensions available WITHIN the next 10 years. Yes, i do agree that NOT ALL of these new extensions will make it and many if not most of those new thousands WILL die out BUT if massive companies such as reliance, airtel, amazon, walmart ect.......really push and market their own new extensions (using $millions of marking funds), then we as .in investors could be in major trouble and even LONG TERM holds of .in's MAY not make much profit for us, UNLESS we develop our names and increase the branding of .in along with quality traffic.

Please do not get me wrong, I AM a big beleiver in the .In extension and I have a decent portfolio myself which I am holding onto for the long term, BUT I have now decided that the way forward IS DEVELOPMENT and generation of traffic to the name and NOT parking good keywords and hoping for millions for it in the future. IF we develop our top quality keywords into traffic generating sites then that not only increases the .IN brand name but also increases the value and desirability of our portfolios, parking names on parking sites such as SEDO does NOTHING for the .in brand! I do have many names parked at the moment, but I am working on developing each one, one at a time into quality sites or blogs WITH traffic. Trust me guys, it will pay off IF you DEVELOP!!

Please guys, we MUST remember that .in is NOT .com, it is NOT immune or shielded from new competition, it does NOT have the same WORLD brand sense as .com. Even in India itself, .in is not as well branded as .com, primarily due to the fact that .com=good quality websites! .in=LOW quality websites or parked names. THIS needs to change and WE have to help initiate that change!!

Another MAJOR issue for us is internet penetration and government policies! WE NEED changes in politics to help .in survive! And I disagree, we DO need major foreign companies to come into India, Indian companies DO NOT and CANNOT change the scene for the better. Indian companies DO NOT have the relevant experience or funds for research! They DO NOT have quality logistic processes, that is why ecommerce in India is not exploding as much as it is in other countries around the world. WE NEED to open up to the global companies of the world! BUT due to Indian politics, this COULD take another 20 years for us!! What a joke! Indian politics is KILLING the digital future of India. WE NOW all live in a GLOBAL ECONOMY, we are GLOBAL CITIZENS!! In the virtual world, there are no longer any borders! And those that try to create border (e.g.. china), these borders are just being bypassed by their own citizens! We no LONGER live in nations on the web, we live globally. Many people in India are now ordering goods from global sites or american sites and paying double shipping costs into India...........using of course .coms or .co.uk or .org, because these extensions HAVE great quality sites asscociated with them. They are reading the news using .coms, .orgs, BUT where is .IN ??? Yes we have a very select few quality .in sites BUT we NEED many many more!!

And we NEED to push and vote for governments both locally and nationally that at least have some sort of policies to push and develop the internet penetration in the country! WE ALSO NEED TO vote for MORE FDI into India!! We need foreign companies to help develop the immature ecommerce space in India, they have years of experience in more developed digital ecosystems, they CAN HELP US!!!

Check out the below article in regards to how overestimated the internet penetration is:

True Internet penetration in India is less than 10% - Livemint

@LLL.in King, im afraid that WITHOUT real quality BRANDING and DEVELOPMENT, keywords in any extension apart from .com are literally dead my friend! I am NOT saying that they will have zero worth as an investment, you may get a few $xxx for good ones or maybe even $xxxx's for premium ones BUT nothing more than that without genuine traffic as there will be far far too many cheaper options on the market with EXACTLY the SAME keywords on a variety of extensions, POSSIBLY even thousands of extensions available WITHIN the next 10 years. Yes, i do agree that NOT ALL of these new extensions will make it and many if not most of those new thousands WILL die out BUT if massive companies such as reliance, airtel, amazon, walmart ect.......really push and market their own new extensions (using $millions of marking funds), then we as .in investors could be in major trouble and even LONG TERM holds of .in's MAY not make much profit for us, UNLESS we develop our names and increase the branding of .in along with quality traffic.

Please do not get me wrong, I AM a big beleiver in the .In extension and I have a decent portfolio myself which I am holding onto for the long term, BUT I have now decided that the way forward IS DEVELOPMENT and generation of traffic to the name and NOT parking good keywords and hoping for millions for it in the future. IF we develop our top quality keywords into traffic generating sites then that not only increases the .IN brand name but also increases the value and desirability of our portfolios, parking names on parking sites such as SEDO does NOTHING for the .in brand! I do have many names parked at the moment, but I am working on developing each one, one at a time into quality sites or blogs WITH traffic. Trust me guys, it will pay off IF you DEVELOP!!

Please guys, we MUST remember that .in is NOT .com, it is NOT immune or shielded from new competition, it does NOT have the same WORLD brand sense as .com. Even in India itself, .in is not as well branded as .com, primarily due to the fact that .com=good quality websites! .in=LOW quality websites or parked names. THIS needs to change and WE have to help initiate that change!!

Another MAJOR issue for us is internet penetration and government policies! WE NEED changes in politics to help .in survive! And I disagree, we DO need major foreign companies to come into India, Indian companies DO NOT and CANNOT change the scene for the better. Indian companies DO NOT have the relevant experience or funds for research! They DO NOT have quality logistic processes, that is why ecommerce in India is not exploding as much as it is in other countries around the world. WE NEED to open up to the global companies of the world! BUT due to Indian politics, this COULD take another 20 years for us!! What a joke! Indian politics is KILLING the digital future of India. WE NOW all live in a GLOBAL ECONOMY, we are GLOBAL CITIZENS!! In the virtual world, there are no longer any borders! And those that try to create border (e.g.. china), these borders are just being bypassed by their own citizens! We no LONGER live in nations on the web, we live globally. Many people in India are now ordering goods from global sites or american sites and paying double shipping costs into India...........using of course .coms or .co.uk or .org, because these extensions HAVE great quality sites asscociated with them. They are reading the news using .coms, .orgs, BUT where is .IN ??? Yes we have a very select few quality .in sites BUT we NEED many many more!!

And we NEED to push and vote for governments both locally and nationally that at least have some sort of policies to push and develop the internet penetration in the country! WE ALSO NEED TO vote for MORE FDI into India!! We need foreign companies to help develop the immature ecommerce space in India, they have years of experience in more developed digital ecosystems, they CAN HELP US!!!

Check out the below article in regards to how overestimated the internet penetration is:

True Internet penetration in India is less than 10% - Livemint

Truekumar@ Hi, "True Internet penetration in Indi10% - Livemint" The 10% or 20% are all feeding from a small pond. Education is the only way grow GNP. Immature ecommerce space is due to lack of infrastructure, and yet the best IT people and often CEO's on the boards to the most forward footsie 500 companies are Indian nationals. You do not need help, you need to educate by going into greater debt to fund infrastructure that will create jobs that in the short term creates home consumers that will lead to laying the foundations for education = more home consumers. I know it was at a much smaller level but remember what West Germany did with East Germany. 800m minds yet to sparkle !! = Education = the second largest pond on the globe. I am grateful to find the opportunity in this "nascent" enterprising market, do not worry re the (dot) in cc / it will be very strong.

I along with everyone else on this forum want's to believe that we have excellent investments in the .IN extension, but the figures are skewed guys! As the following articles states: "India’s No. 3 ranking (ahead of Japan!) is merely a numerical sidelight"

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/lxse9gsLZjF5FvLLIMd0iJ/If-India-has-200-million-internet-users-what-are-they-doing.html

We do have a LONG WAY to go yet guys! We need to FORCE the government to move forward and QUICKLY in regards to policy reforms!

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom