.In Vs .CO.IN

IT.com
I thinks its a matter of choice. Many people have also rushed for the .in domains just because of cheap domain registration prices.

This is still confusing for most of Indian that which one best for website .in or .co.in because very few know the basic difference between this TLD that .co.in represent India and .in for international.

I think we need to move this to a new thread.

I would love input on how the indian market feels about .com vs .in vs .co.in

Here in Canada, we started with .on.ca where ".on" was the province you lived in. At first most people were registering the domains for their province - .bc.ca, .on.ca, .ab.ca, etc.

Now, 99.99% of all registrations are .ca and very few follow the above examples. Is it fair to assume that in time .in will take over .co.in for companies marketing to India and for companies marketing internationally?

Also, here in Canada .com was still quite big for a while, but local search engine results seem to favor .ca domains for search engine results. Now more and more people are moving to .ca vs .com for this reason as well. Furthermore, Canadians are looking to buy from Canadian companies so that they don't have to pay through the nose in shipping. If your domain is a .com, they tend to think you are a US company or are not sure, but with the .ca, they are happy because they know they are dealing with a Canadian company.

As someone who conducts business in Canada and USA, I have tried to register both the .ca and .com names. I hope this helps and I would love to hear any opinions you have on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we need to move this to a new thread.

I would love input on how the indian market feels about .com vs .in vs .co.in

Here in Canada, we started with .on.ca where ".on" was the province you lived in. At first most people were registering the domains for their province - .bc.ca, .on.ca, .ab.ca, etc.

Now, 99.99% of all registrations are .ca and very few follow the above examples. Is it fair to assume that in time .in will take over .co.in for companies marketing to India and for companies marketing internationally?

Also, here in Canada .com was still quite big for a while, but local search engine results seem to favor .ca domains for search engine results. Now more and more people are moving to .ca vs .com for this reason as well. Furthermore, Canadians are looking to buy from Canadian companies so that they don't have to pay through the nose in shipping. If your domain is a .com, they tend to think you are a US company or are not sure, but with the .ca, they are happy because they know they are dealing with a Canadian company.

As someone who conducts business in Canada and USA, I have tried to register both the .ca and .com names. I hope this helps and I would love to hear any opinions you have on this.

Nice commentary! The most reliable gauge for determining which TLD wins between .co.in and .in is the sales history and from the sales history, .IN is the outright winner. I believe there is an aftermarket space for .co.in, but it will be small and .in will take most of it.

It is interesting that google.in still redirect to google.co.in, this can add value to .co.in domains considering that google is used from more than 95% of indian people (I own many good .co.in domains so I'm glad if they get value :))

Many .co.in domains I own get traffic and earnings and pay for more than the annual renew fee so I renew them waiting for the right buyer :)

I also already sold in the past few co.in domains for low/mid xxx USD.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI,
Google, CitiBank and Yahoo Email Address all are on .co.in ..etc.etc.
I myself have habit of typing .co.in , If i have to search any Indian version of the website.
In my opinion in selling .in may have upper hand
But in Physiological reach .co.in have upper hand, as people tend to type or think xyz website is on .co.in instead on .in

Thanks

Citibank is both .in and .co.in
eBay = .in
Microsoft = .in (they don't even own .co.in)

I stand by my feeling that even if .co.in is the "go to" extension now, people will move toward .in - it is simpler and in the end more intuitive.

You bring up an interesting point... "But in Physiological reach .co.in have upper hand, as people tend to type or think xyz website is on .co.in instead on .in"

Does anyone own both the .in and .co.in for a popular .com indian site? Seeing which extension gets more traffic would give us an answer on this.

Citibank is both .in and .co.in
eBay = .in
Microsoft = .in (they don't even own .co.in)

I stand by my feeling that even if .co.in is the "go to" extension now, people will move toward .in - it is simpler and in the end more intuitive.

You bring up an interesting point... "But in Physiological reach .co.in have upper hand, as people tend to type or think xyz website is on .co.in instead on .in"

Does anyone own both the .in and .co.in for a popular .com indian site? Seeing which extension gets more traffic would give us an answer on this.

I mainly feel, that co.in vs .in, in this the extension big companies use or prefer will make a huge difference.
Like when yahoo have india version and for email address they used @yahoo.co.in it made a big difference.
and Similarly some of the official websites when they are not on .nic.in or .gov.in they create a co.in website because .in is already taken,such things also impact .co.in popularity.

Yeah .in will always be preferred and best for selling point of view compare to .co.in.

Zaki
NamingZone

If you have a great keyword .co.in , I think the aftermarket price could be anywhere from 50 - 90% of the .in price. Depending on how well we can sell it and how the buyer views it as a need for their website.

Personally have sold a .co.in (product keyword) to a large company a few years ago for a very good price (low $xx,xxx). They also bought the .in version during the same time. So am a big believer in .co.in (especially those great keywords that define a product or service)

If you have a great keyword .co.in , I think the aftermarket price could be anywhere from 50 - 90% of the .in price. Depending on how well we can sell it and how the buyer views it as a need for their website.

Personally have sold a .co.in (product keyword) to a large company a few years ago for a very good price (low $xx,xxx). They also bought the .in version during the same time. So am a big believer in .co.in (especially those great keywords that define a product or service)
Thanks for restarting the ".co.in discussion"..lol

Glad to hear of your sale. .Co.ins are not doing well on the public markets but you never know when things will change.I keep some .co.ins to diversify from .in and have feelers in the .co.in market.I've not gotten an inquiry on any of my .co.in names.lll.co.ins are also getting some traffic...

Freebies.co.in sale broke a long period of no reported .co.in sales on Sedo.what's the range of .co.ins you own in total? I own between30 and 40 .co.ins.

Last edited:
Low $xx,xxx is a very good price for a .co.in domain!

I also think that in the future the market for .co.in domains will be more active, anyway .in domains will be generally the first choice.

I sold some .co.in domains in the past (priced in the range of mid xxx USD) but not in the last 3-4 years. Anyway I keep some good keywords .co.in domains or domains with traffic/earnings.

At the moment I own about 200 .co.in domains but I had much more in the past.

Yeah, I am fan of both .in and .co.in. I would spend money on .co.in rather than all these trash new gtlds. My strategy is to hold on to the valuable .co.in until the right buyer comes up (no underselling). Like I said before, they are worth atleast 50% of the price of a .in and am sticking to it :)

Yeah, I am fan of both .in and .co.in. I would spend money on .co.in rather than all these trash new gtlds. My strategy is to hold on to the valuable .co.in until the right buyer comes up (no underselling). Like I said before, they are worth atleast 50% of the price of a .in and am sticking to it :)
Thank you for your show of confidence in .co.in :)

I believe i hold some strong keyword .co.in domains, and you have given me more encouragement to "hold out" like you.

Interesting, thanks.

Anyway I don't know if the change in displaying the name will affect the weight of the domain name itself in the google algorithm formula to display search results.

But this change certainly give more visibility/weight to title/content instead of the domain name itself.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks.

Anyway I don't know if the change in displaying the name will affect the weight of the domain name itself in the google algorithm formula to display search results.

But this change certainly give more visibility/weight to title/content instead of the domain name itself.

I agree, but only because it is what I want to believe, if I owned the boat I would expect the ferryman to take the premium passenger first à la adwords.

Content has always been highly valued on the internet. But the domain name matters too. So i think their importances are independent of each other too.

Content has always been highly valued on the internet. But the domain name matters too. So i think their importances are independent of each other too.

Thanks for your consideration. Yes, I agree, what I meant is that with this change the title is showed instead of the domain name so the title is visible instead of the domain name in the search results. I used the term "title/content" in the sense that generally the title is a summary of the content (I could have used only "title").

About content and domain name from the algorithmic point of view, they are certainly indipendent factors but google could give different weight.
Some years ago I lost many positions for many keywords of some of my domains due to google algorithm updates.

One of my favourite threads... Always a discussion on this keep me going. I read 5 years back n I read today and if I will read 5 years down the line, it will always be a hot topic.

Usage, requirements, branding, safeguarding ip are the key for serious buyers for going for domains.

Let's leave out domainers collections and take a deep dive of corporates portfolio of Fortune 500 companies.
You might get some clue on their approach on co.in and .in

Now go and take a deep dive of other small corporates. They are confused. Understanding and clarity is not there on usage.

And then importantly , look at giant b2c , b2b e-commerce Giants. Indian Giants don't care, international do. Totally a different approach of Indian Giants : less of cctld. They are the face of internet I strongly feel who are making internet penetration into commercial models to end users and making perceptions indirectly . Top 5 Indian companies in this sector are using .com.

If you are an investor, your analysis, your Lady Luck and the market trend has to meet at a point of time !

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom