.In Vs .CO.IN

IT.com
The end user has some options - .com, .in or (.in and .co.in)

In most product or service categories, there is a need for India specific website, tailored to the market. This is where using a .com, may not be enough. I believe there is a Country Pride factor somewhere in there (similar to .ca, .de .co.uk and others) , maybe India is not there yet, but it will happen, people are going to expect a targeted service for their specific tastes and needs. Ideally as a global corporation, would love to own the Generic Domain name in .com, .in and .co.in, so there won't be any confusion.

another nice interesting post. I believe that their is room for both .in & .co.in , at this moment in time from what iv'e seen & read online it does look like companies that own both extensions are re-directing their .in domains to their .co.in , this post was a nice read & informative. thanks.

.IN is the favoured extension over .co.in and always will be. Right now .IN is moving extremely fast in terms of registrations and interest from end users and also the domaining community. There is still some value to .co.ins, but they will always take second place to .IN and therefore .co.in should be considered as a much longer term investment than .IN

To me its not been .IN or .CO.IN but and. Its been 12 years, and guess which website draws almost 500 million visits a day in India, yep Google.co.in. The biggest .IN website is Amazon.in with 200 million visits per day (Alexa) . The way I look at it, along with IRCTC.co.in and other large orgs that use .co.in in India, the Top 10 websites that use .IN or .CO.IN is about equal in terms of traffic. There in lies the Brand Value of .co.in in my opinion and it is now entrenched in the user behavior in India. (See how gtlds are struggling to change user behavior) . These are huge numbers and Google .co. in is only going to draw bigger and bigger traffic everyday.

My advise to companies will be to acquire both .in and .co.in versions of their brand, lead gen domains, keywords etc. Othewise, you are going to lose traffic to the competition (lead gen and keywords). For 3L, 3N etc, its more of a branding or vanity type situation particularly for 3N, so there .IN has a clear advantage. Check my post on .com.cn vs .cn pricing based on Namebio history
https://www.inforum.in/threads/using-com-cn-vs-cn-prices-to-project-co-in-and-in-price-relationship.20862/ ,
you will be surpised how close they are for keywords. My projections are that prices are going to be close for .in and co.in for highly competitive keywords and market segments, especially there are going to be many scenarios that are going to play out - which gets acquired first, will companies announce their plans before acquiring both etc. In some scenarios, .co.in could go for higher prices even, depending on the situation.

There are many short term misconceptions among domainers, but don't look at public sales, many .co.in holders are holding for higher prices and not willing to undersell just because the market has not caught up to realities. Also, .co.in has interest from outside, in fact 3 of my keywords in the last year got interest from outside India and could have closed the deal in mid $xxxx, but decided to hold for higher prices.

I recently sold CXO.co.in to a company in Chicago for $1000. That was their initial offer and could have gone higher, but I took it get some .co.in sales out there in public.

Last edited:
Any new developments on which is more used by companies and not domainers?
Does anyone know how many domains are registered in .co.in compared to .in?
I couldn't find any data on .co.in...

Are .co.in promoted at all by the Registry?

Thanks!

I think by now it is pretty clear that .in is preferred in the aftermarket, although there are still good sales of strong .co.in.

The Registry generally does not release detailed stats.

ThaNks!
I saw on some stat site info regarding .in but not about .co.in.

Do you have any idea if the Registry are promoting .co.in or not at all?

Google.co.in is a Top 10 website by traffic globally. Estimate is roughly 500 million visits a day. .co.in brand has a lot of strength in India, but domainers have consistently undervalued it IMHO .

Domainers view is only one piece of the puzzle, real proof in the pudding is from Real usage in India and interest from end users.

Just an example Tire.in sold for $5k in 2016
Same end user bought Tire.co.in for $20k in 2017

I sold CamperVan.in and .co.in, both priced equally

Its an outlier for now, but dont be surprised in some cases this happens. In essence, a lot of factors will go into whether they are priced equally or .in gets a much higher price etc

Last edited:
I will definitely go with .in extension because most of websites and his ranking depend on his extension. our competitors are too clever and knows black hat technique too

Google.co.in is a Top 10 website by traffic globally. Estimate is roughly 500 million visits a day. .co.in brand has a lot of strength in India, but domainers have consistently undervalued it IMHO .

I agree and always thought the same about this, also irctc.co.in has great traffic and is widely used from many indians.

Domainers view is only one piece of the puzzle, real proof in the pudding is from Real usage in India and interest from end users.

Just an example Tire.in sold for $5k in 2016
Same end user bought Tire.co.in for $20k in 2017

I sold CamperVan.in and .co.in, both priced equally

Its an outlier for now, but dont be surprised in some cases this happens. In essence, a lot of factors will go into whether they are priced equally or .in gets a much higher price etc

I too have sold some .co.in domains so far with prices from mid xxx USD to low xxxx USD, similar to my .in domains sales.

Personally I prefer .in tld but seems that there is a good market also for .co.in domains.

The .in is top level domain Extension (TLD) for the country India. On the other hand, the .co.in is the country code second level domain under the .in country code top level domain.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom