.IN in the top 20 TLD list

IT.com
Great article - thanks!

I've often wondered about how many .in domains are registered - it seems to be approximately 1.7 million currently.

This also ranks .in as #22 in the world of all domain extensions and #17 of all cctlds. That's really good given how little time has passed since the extension was opened. Soon it will catch up with .us, which was opened up 3 years earlier.

The article also references this report:
https://www.centr.org/system/files/share/domainwire_stat_report_2013_1.pdf
which is an interesting read.

In fact, the original report from Council of European National Top Level Domain Registries says that .in extension had a growth of 14.3% these last 6 months. This is really good news! The only extensions beating this growth are .cn (82.7% on 6 months, incredible!) and .tk (54.7% on 6 months).

Have you guys noticed, when searching for availability of a keyword in different TLDs, that .IN is almost always taken? I experience this all the time, including many obscure or non-English words. No wonder there are all these names registered! :)

Few highlights from the blog:

(i) .tv is NOT featured in the top. Dont know why, I would imagine the numbers for .tv regs to be high enough?
(ii) The top 20 ccTLDs account for 82% of all registered ccTLDs. Says a lot on the clout of top ccTLDS.
(iii) .co is lower than .in inspite of all the marketing and the sponsorship. I would say that .co reached 1.5M because of marketing.
(iv) .in would easily catch upto .us maybe in next 12-18 months.

Few highlights from the blog:

(i) .tv is NOT featured in the top. Dont know why, I would imagine the numbers for .tv regs to be high enough?
(ii) The top 20 ccTLDs account for 82% of all registered ccTLDs. Says a lot on the clout of top ccTLDS.
(iii) .co is lower than .in inspite of all the marketing and the sponsorship. I would say that .co reached 1.5M because of marketing.
(iv) .in would easily catch upto .us maybe in next 12-18 months.

I was going to post (iii), but then I thought that, despite all the marketing, .co is only 3 years old so the comparison is not very fair for now imo.

.CO only has branding as its main driver of growth(which will slow down sooner or later), while .IN has population as its driver of growth.

.IN is a winning game for those who can wait it out. Its only a matter of time. The market is currently in a slump and aftermarket sales seem weak or/and elusive, but the future is still bright.

If you find renewals tiring or motivation-sucking, then .In is not for you. Stupid,Speculative names will drain your morale to renew your .ins, thats why its very imperative we all hold solid names. Solid in my dictionary are LLLs, commercial/decent one worders, AND super strong two word .IN.

.IN definitely has alot of growth ahead of it. That growth will only lead to more pressure(and hopefully sales) on high value .in names. Good luck to all the patient .IN domainers because the patient domainer gets the fattest sales ;)

@LLL.in

.CO and .IN are very different on so many levels, that's why I think the comparison is not fair. One of the most notable differences is renewal price, which is 2-3 times higher for .CO and that's the main reason why I dumped most of mine. .IN registration and renewal prices are in line with gTLDs.

I was going to post (iii), but then I thought that, despite all the marketing, .co is only 3 years old so the comparison is not very fair for now imo.

Agree that .in has have had a head start, but two factor come to mind:

(i) Number of .in domains are that are accounted for is about only 60% as opposed to 100% for .co
(ii) .co was and is massively marketed as a replacement for .com . Thats huge. I think .co would hradly catch up with .in given the growth rate of .in being the third for .ccTLDs after .cn and .tk

Frankly, I doubt that the current number of .in regs is around 1.7 mil. So many good names are available and becoming available every day.

I cant believe .CN still has such a high growth rate!! Compared to .CN, it looks like .IN has not even started!!!

china is too fond of websites. but the top sites here are not using .cn much to my surprise.

The most famous e-commerce sites like taobao.com, tmall.com, 360buy.com and jd.com , most famous chat apps like qq.com and alternate to twitter like weibo.com and youku.com (alt to youtube) to name the few are focussing to buy .coms (specially CCC / CC)

They also focus a lot on numerics and hyphen domains. for example KFC or McDonalds have their home delivery website as the phone number like 4008823823.com.cn ..

They are fond of Q J Z W X Y alphabets...

.cn / .com.cn has a long way to go and the great wall of china (the proxy) also does block access to them from outside china ...:(

India i strongly believe with it's policies (as compared to china) will grow more effectively.

.CN has had a not-too-positive reputation in the past for hosting spammy/malicious content. Not sure about now, but don't think the general public's perception is very different. .IN, on the other hand, is considered a clean TLD, that's why it is used worldwide.

Nice thread, lots of analyses and inferences. Thanks to everyone sharing their thoughts and opinions, each perspective, I believe, has it's own merit.

While there are a some extensions that are indeed above .In, what's special about .In is that it has its own expanse of space to grow and (eventually) thrive on. It's got all the time in the next 5 to 8 years when it is likely to peak to its potential.

India is not yet 'e-ready' (if I may term it) in the complete sense of the word, as yet, yet so much has happened already! That's very special!! The rate of growth and the speed at which the dynamics of .In is evolving is note-worthy.

Amazon.In is not even a week old :) and to know what's in store in the near future, just Click Here.

Dot In is more or less very much like India, itself. It's big, growing phenomenally, getting lots of attention and has got it's own market to cater to - for a long time to come!

All we need to do is just enjoy this 'the most' emerging times of the Dot In Domain.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom