.in / .co.in: extensions trend

IT.com

domaining123

Hello,

regularely, I like to check extension evolution on Google Trend for .in and .co.in:

Google Trends

2cghbth.png

Evolution is promising, what's your opinion?

I agree, it does look very promising. I use to look at Google Trends all the time, but haven't recently. Thanks for reminding me to check it out again! I think it's important to keep in mind that India still has a very low internet penetration, so long term things look very, very promising!

I would say that without promos evolution can be negative, as it is seen on the figure.

Perhaps, but it appears to take a dip and then start climbing again. The promo bit is a double edge sword. I think the most important take away from this chart is that over time, .in interests and search volume has had a steady climb for the most part. Add to that again the fact that there is roughly 8% broadband internet penetration in India and that it's expected to grow rapidly over the coming years!

Like the upward trend. Take a look at .de, .co.uk, .com, .ca etc, you will see a downward trend since 2008/9. .com seems to want to move up again, but the others don't seem to.

The upward .in trend could indicate more awareness for .in in relative to where it was in 2005 etc. This trend could last a few years. The downward trend in more established country codes could indicate more awareness in those and less of a need to search in Google vs directly typing them in the browser. I don't believe it has anything to do with the economic downturn.

The chart displays the number of the keyword searches compared to all Google searches (any keywords). It does not show the actual number of searches. What does it mean? We know Internet is growing globally. The number of domains registered is also growing. Knowing that we can draw conclusion that if the trend for .in domains is holding its level on that chart, its popularity is actually growing.

To prove my point, look at the chart for .de and .nl extensions:
Google Trends

You see both graphs are constantly dipping and one would say they lose popularity. Nothing more misleading. Both extensions are very strong and growing steadily. It just means the number of searches is relatively smaller compared to global searches for any keyword.

Why does it happen?
I see 2 main reasons for that:
1. The number of searches in Asia (especially China, but also India and other raising economies) is growing dramatically.
2. In countries like Germany or The Netherlands where the Internet user saturation is high, any additional usage growth is difficult. They also cannot match the Asian population numbers. The 80 mil Germans is perhaps a big number in Europe, but that's not even enough to match a medium size Indian state.

I find the .in growth is one of the most dynamic compared to other extensions. Perhaps it was slowed down a bit by the end of the promo but it's still growing faster compared to most others.

That growth peaks always happen in April - May only that each next is stronger. Why these months? I think that someone from India will be better to answer this question. It may be something to do with the end of school year.

Last edited by a moderator:
domain trends.jpg
I agree, .in popularity is increasing over the last few years.. I am encoutering many developed websites in the day to day life

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom