If I Had Just Started With Domain Names Today, I Don’t Think I Would Make It

JulienJ

When I started in this industry it was the year 2000. The Internet looked very different than it does today, and people were just starting to get acquainted with Google. Search engine optimization was a lot easier to do with most people not having even heard of the term “SEO”.

Back then, as a website owner, you were able to take advantage of certain techniques which could easily put you ahead of the majority. Compared to today, there was little competition out there. Thanks to Godaddy, Google AdSense, and Search Engine Optimization, I was able to buy domain names and make them into websites, originally using “Website Tonight”, a site builder Godaddy still sells today under its new name, “Website Builder”, a click and build software tool for the novice. With SEO, I was able to get the website found, and was able to make money from people clicking on the ads when they got there with Google AdSense (back then, Google just matched the ads to the content, that was it – there was no search history and re-marketing or user historical interest targeting going on). I had effectively found something to make (the website) valuable (the clicks).

It was an instant business and its success grew with time and all I wanted was more, larger websites, with more and more pages.
This evening I came across a thread on NamesPros.com titled, “there’s no money in domain names.. this industry full of bullsh*t” with many reply’s reflecting disagreement with the poster of the message who is obviously frustrated with his – less then stellar domain sales. The simple answer is that nothing good is easy and staring at domain sales charts all the time can be misleading and could create somewhat of an ‘illusion’ that I myself have fallen for many times over.

• Where are ‘my’ hundred-thousand dollar domain sales?
  • Why aren’t I flipping my domains for astronomical profits?

Source

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
mobile Started Android Application store with .in domain Indian Websites and Start-ups 2
Prashant Sharan Rob Monster thinks that a worldwide bull run on domains has started Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan ICANN has started accepting applications for its childcare grants program Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Forfeiture proceedings against prostitution ring related domains started by Feds Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Just Wait !! : The last wave of comments on .amazon hasn’t started yet New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Getting started with Afternic - 2019 Resources 0
domainking131 .Blog landrush started today New GTLDs 2
domainking131 Undeveloped Auction Has Started With 135+ Domains External Auctions 1
anquest .ooo (letter 'o') Registry Owner + Indian eComm/'eComm Enabler' Firm INFIBEAM Started Trading Today General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
domainking131 150 Sedo Direct Auctions started on first day Non-Indian Domains 1
DNJournal.com Pair of Six-Figure Sales Give 2014 a Good Sendoff and Get 2015 Started on a High Note The Lounge 0
domainking131 General Availability for 5 new gTLDs started New GTLDs 0
domainking131 General availability for .Bargains, .Cheap, .Zone, .Boutique and .Agency started New GTLDs 0
R mistletoe.in @ Sedo Auction Started $100 External Auctions 1
I HealthcarePayments.org auction has started. SEDO External Auctions 1
I OnlineLoans.de bidding has started. No reserve. External Auctions 0
M limousine.co.in (auction started at bido) External Auctions 0
P Get SAAS.in for a very low price.Auction Started.Act Now External Auctions 6
I TvCommercials.co Bidding has started! External Auctions 2
I LitigationFinancing.org Bidding has started! External Auctions 0
D SerialNumber.in - Auction started at sedo External Auctions 1
D CVK.IN - Auction started on Sedo External Auctions 1
Gaurav GoldenCBD.com, OQEL.com & more - Premium Domain Names External Auctions 0
Prashant Sharan There are some China registry .CN domain name scam running. Watch Out!!! Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Tool generates trending domain registration ideas Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Will the Crypto Domain prices follow the BTC price boom? Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Last Week's end user domain sales Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan John Mueller, Google’s Webmaster Trend Analyst, weighs in on expired domain backlinks Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan KickStart Commerce Podcast: Domain investing, developing, and “affiliate arbitraging” domains with Ed Keay-Smith Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Last week's end user domain sales Resources 0
Prashant Sharan DNW Podcast: Adam Strong discusses the state of the domain name aftermarket. Resources 0
DNJournal.com There is a New King of the 2020 Domain Sales Hill With A $900,000 Deal Soaring to the Summit The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Should I wait for a domain name to expire or buy right away ? Resources 0
Prashant Sharan A sneak peak into GoDaddy’s full domain & privacy protection Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Escrow.com Q3 Report : Domain aftermarket sees a rebound Registrars 0
T Mitsu saga - Registry.in loose my domain names Legal Issues and Dispute 2
T Domain outreach service for names over $1k For Sale / Advertising 0
Prashant Sharan Nice Read : Elliot Silver talks about a Key Metric for domain name valuation Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Radix Converge 2020: Rewards Attendees With Expert Insight Into entrepreneurialism, Domain Industry Success Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Escrow.com saw a bounce back in domain name transactions in Q3 2020 Registrars 0
DaaZ.com LDF.in and FBR.in domain names in Auction @ DaaZ.com For Sale 0
Gaurav CreditGrowth.com - Premium Credit Domain Name | No Reserve Auction | EC Pick External Auctions 1
T What is EPP Code? Tips To Improve Your Domain Security Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Domain.com, BigRock and BuyDomains owner plans to go private Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Last week's end user domain name sales Resources 0
Prashant Sharan DNW Podcast: Reza Sardeha on Dan.com building a tech and payments stack for domain sales Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver: Domain Name is Subject to Re-Pricing Resources 0
D Is there any .in domain investor owning more than 100 .in domains alone? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 7
Prashant Sharan Rick Swartz : Domain is the central point of everything Resources 0
Prashant Sharan It's easier than before to start private party domain auctions on NameJet Registrars 0