If I Had Just Started With Domain Names Today, I Don’t Think I Would Make It

JulienJ

When I started in this industry it was the year 2000. The Internet looked very different than it does today, and people were just starting to get acquainted with Google. Search engine optimization was a lot easier to do with most people not having even heard of the term “SEO”.

Back then, as a website owner, you were able to take advantage of certain techniques which could easily put you ahead of the majority. Compared to today, there was little competition out there. Thanks to Godaddy, Google AdSense, and Search Engine Optimization, I was able to buy domain names and make them into websites, originally using “Website Tonight”, a site builder Godaddy still sells today under its new name, “Website Builder”, a click and build software tool for the novice. With SEO, I was able to get the website found, and was able to make money from people clicking on the ads when they got there with Google AdSense (back then, Google just matched the ads to the content, that was it – there was no search history and re-marketing or user historical interest targeting going on). I had effectively found something to make (the website) valuable (the clicks).

It was an instant business and its success grew with time and all I wanted was more, larger websites, with more and more pages.
This evening I came across a thread on NamesPros.com titled, “there’s no money in domain names.. this industry full of bullsh*t” with many reply’s reflecting disagreement with the poster of the message who is obviously frustrated with his – less then stellar domain sales. The simple answer is that nothing good is easy and staring at domain sales charts all the time can be misleading and could create somewhat of an ‘illusion’ that I myself have fallen for many times over.

• Where are ‘my’ hundred-thousand dollar domain sales?
  • Why aren’t I flipping my domains for astronomical profits?

Source

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
mobile Started Android Application store with .in domain Indian Websites and Start-ups 2
Digital Pandit This is new: Hackers have started to improve a site’s SEO as part of their attack Registrars 0
Digital Pandit Rob Monster thinks that a worldwide bull run on domains has started Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit ICANN has started accepting applications for its childcare grants program Registrars 0
Digital Pandit Forfeiture proceedings against prostitution ring related domains started by Feds Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Just Wait !! : The last wave of comments on .amazon hasn’t started yet New GTLDs 0
Digital Pandit Getting started with Afternic - 2019 Resources 0
domainking131 .Blog landrush started today New GTLDs 2
domainking131 Undeveloped Auction Has Started With 135+ Domains External Auctions 1
anquest .ooo (letter 'o') Registry Owner + Indian eComm/'eComm Enabler' Firm INFIBEAM Started Trading Today General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
domainking131 150 Sedo Direct Auctions started on first day Non-Indian Domains 1
DNJournal.com Pair of Six-Figure Sales Give 2014 a Good Sendoff and Get 2015 Started on a High Note The Lounge 0
domainking131 General Availability for 5 new gTLDs started New GTLDs 0
domainking131 General availability for .Bargains, .Cheap, .Zone, .Boutique and .Agency started New GTLDs 0
R mistletoe.in @ Sedo Auction Started $100 External Auctions 1
I HealthcarePayments.org auction has started. SEDO External Auctions 1
I OnlineLoans.de bidding has started. No reserve. External Auctions 0
M limousine.co.in (auction started at bido) External Auctions 0
P Get SAAS.in for a very low price.Auction Started.Act Now External Auctions 6
I TvCommercials.co Bidding has started! External Auctions 2
I LitigationFinancing.org Bidding has started! External Auctions 0
D SerialNumber.in - Auction started at sedo External Auctions 1
D CVK.IN - Auction started on Sedo External Auctions 1
Host.co.in 25% OFF Windows Hosting - Free Domain - SSD Storage - 24/7 Support - [Host.co.in] For Sale / Advertising 1
Digital Pandit Liquid domains report: $17M in Escrow(.)com domain sales Non-Indian Domains 0
Host.co.in [Host.co.in] 25% OFF cPanel Hosting - 99.95% Uptime - Free Domain - 24/7 Support For Sale / Advertising 2
Digital Pandit A downside to “Buy Now” for domain names Resources 0
Digital Pandit DN Journal: This week's domain names sales chart Resources 0
Digital Pandit Uni becomes first company to mint domain name extensions as NFTs Registrars 0
Digital Pandit DNW Podcast: Closing domain deals with a contract Resources 0
Digital Pandit Past week's end-user domain sales Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Elliot Silver on how to list a domain name for sale Resources 0
DNJournal.com Surge in 6-Figure Domain Sales Continues With a Record 17 Names Hitting That Mark on New DNJ Chart The Lounge 0
Digital Pandit KickStart Commerce Podcast: Michael Gargiulo on worldwide jurisdiction risk that domain investors and brokers face Resources 0
Digital Pandit Lawsuit claims that 445.com is a stolen domain name Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit Oath now has a patent for integrated domain + trademark search Registrars 0
Digital Pandit What does BBC do with the domain names it doesn't need? Registrars 0
Digital Pandit KickStart Commerce Podcast: Kate Buckley talks about domain investing Resources 0
Digital Pandit DNW Podcast: Arno Vis discusses his domain registrar’s membership model Resources 0
Digital Pandit DomainSherpa Review: Current Events in the Domain Space; Cold.com vs. Wall.com Resources 0
DNJournal.com Domain Sales Defy Gravity - 13 Reach 6 Figures in Aftermarket Supernova That Lit Up the Sales Chart The Lounge 1
Digital Pandit NameBio: 184 Domain Discoveries for March 17th Resources 0
D Has anyone received payment for a domain sale through Escrow in India? Business and Economy 1
Digital Pandit Morgan Linton on why Handshake domain investments are different in a way Registrars 0
Digital Pandit KickStart Commerce podcast: Tess Diaz on community, collaboration, and creativity in the domain industry Resources 0
Digital Pandit DN Journal: Total Domain Registrations Slipped But Aftermarket Sales Surged in 4Q-2020 Resources 0
Digital Pandit Past week's end user domain sales Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit GoDaddy gives a list of top 20 domain sales from Oct'20 Registrars 0
Digital Pandit Impervious might have just come up with a truly decentralized domain extension Registrars 0
Digital Pandit Domain industry shrank in Q4, but the devil is in the detail Registrars 0