Humans.in

IT.com
Hi Tomko,

Nice name but to GUESS at a value by anyone would be doing you a disservice in my opinion.

From my experience pricing a name is a very hit and miss affair.

I have sold many names over the past few years for 10x the price I thought I could get for them simply because they were WANTED by someone else so I was in a good position to negotiate from a higher price point and then with some back and forth negotiating with the buyer we came to a price we were both happy with and did the deal.

A classic example is Rick Schwartz, you may or may not know that he sold Unedited. Unfiltered. News. iReport.com to CNN for US$750,000 last year !! Now if I had been asked before the sale took place if I thought it was worth that much I would have laughed and said, "No Way".

On the other hand I have sold domains for less than I thought they were worth but needed the money so I cut my losses (well not losses really, just not as much profit) and did the deal.

Knowing your potential end user is the key. With humans.in without doing any research I do not know who would be a possible end user and how the domain can be monitized.

So if people start telling you they think its worth $xx or $xxx or $ xxxx etc etc you have to take it with a pinch of salt because unless they have cash in hand and are making you an offer it is all guess work and really has no substance to it.

When I am registering a domain I always go through the same type of questions that Rick Schwartz posted about on his blog here is the link - The Rick Schwartz Domain and Traffic Blog RicksBlog.com...Home of the "Domain King": Do you ask the RIGHT questions when buying domains? My top 20 Right Here!

There are SO MANY great unregistered Indian .co.in & .in names out there that you can grab that are very easy to identify who a potential end user would be its just not funny.

Here are a few I hand registered today -

crates.in

cymbals.in

cadsoftware.in

softwaresolutions.in

salesandmarketing.in

servicedapartment.in

I can instantly see where the names can go as far as development and who the end user (as in someone else that wants the name far more than me LOL) could be.

I hope that helps in some way.

Cheers

Ed Keay-Smith
OzDomainer.com

Ed - I mostly agree with you and that's a great post.

I do think, however, that it's often possible to give a wholesale valuation of a domain (or at least a range of values). This would be what a person could expect to get if he were to put the domain up for sale here or on Sedo and try to sell it within a reasonable period of time.

I don't think these are just guesses. It's an opinion based on watching Sedo and forum sales over a long period of time.

Also, I think that if someone gets approached by an end user, it's often possible to say what sort of range one should be asking for. Again, that's based on seeing what other domains went for in other end user sales.

The end user sales are obviously a lot more variable - if someone really wants a name a lot and has a big budget, they will pay a lot more than someone who just thought that a domain was good for their next project.

But yes, despite everything I just said, I'd agree with you that to some extent pricing is a very hit or miss affair. I can remember one name I was going to let drop suddenly got a $60 bid on Sedo. I sent it to auction and the auction closed at $1500! To think I was going to drop it.

I think this is especially true with .in which doesn't have as much of a track record or trading volume as .com, .co.uk, etc. yet.

So, in short, I agree with you that prices can be really variable, but I still think it's possible to give a likely range of sale values that will often be correct.

Also, an appraisal isn't just about price IMHO. I think a lot of people use appraisals to get an idea if they are going in the right direction when they are hand registering domains. Getting feedback from others can help improve future registrations.

Hi Jeff,

Wouldn't it be boring if we agreed on everything all the time :) LOL

Yes I hear what you are saying in regards to domainers selling to other domainers.

All of my sales have been to end users (didn't always know that at the time until whois details were changed after sale though).

I agree that you can get an idea on something similar but know one else has the same domain as you so you never can be sure, but used as a guide it can be helpful.

So what is your estimate on humans.in then ????

Cheers

Ed
OzDomainer.com

I agree that enduser sales are the best, but it would be a bit misleading to value domains on that basis, unless an enduser has already shown interest, because there is no guarantee that an enduser will be interested in your domain when you decide to sell.

It's hard to put a reseller value on Humans.in. It's a domain that's worth holding onto and only selling to an enduser, and I think over time there will likely be one. If approached by someone interested in buying the domain, I'd pitch it at mid-$x,xxx with a view to a sale at a slightly lower price.

Yep sounds about right with the price.

That is part of the exciting thing about Indian domains, know one really knows what the future holds! Time will tell hey.

I hope you get a great sale price for humans.in in any case.

Regards

Ed
OzDomainer.com

Thanks Jeff, Thanks OzDomainer

for these informations and discussion, very interesting!

I know its difficult to say the real value of domains, especially for .in-Domains!

I will definitely hold this Domain and many other ones for the next years, and will waiting for Endusers or rich Domainers ;) and try to be patient!

We will see!

Thanks

Thomas

I agree that enduser sales are the best, but it would be a bit misleading to value domains on that basis, unless an enduser has already shown interest, because there is no guarantee that an enduser will be interested in your domain when you decide to sell.

It's hard to put a reseller value on Humans.in. It's a domain that's worth holding onto and only selling to an enduser, and I think over time there will likely be one. If approached by someone interested in buying the domain, I'd pitch it at mid-$x,xxx with a view to a sale at a slightly lower price.

i do not think there will be an enduser for this domain. So I would say better to drop.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom