IT.com

Gaurish

Hi,
I am new to this field. so want to know how to we sell domains

Suppose i have a domain,
* how and where i would find buyers.
* how will the Domains transferred to the buyer
* Please list safe practices on this, so we don't get cheated

I tried Sedo but it requires me to have PDF mailed or faxed to them. it is a time consuming and complicated job, as i don't have a printer and a scanner.
without certification it does not let me sell domains

How other easy alternatives?

* how and where i would find buyers....
I tried Sedo but it requires me to have PDF mailed or faxed to them. it is a time consuming and complicated job, as i don't have a printer and a scanner.
without certification it does not let me sell domains

How other easy alternatives?

You can also try advertising your domain sales via forums - including INForum of course. ;)

You should be aware that when you sell a domain to another domainer, the value of that domain is usually less compared to what that domain might be worth to an end user. It can take time to find an end user whose willing to buy your domain.

You can also try contacting potential end users directly. See: Domain Sale to an End User.

how will the Domains transferred to the buyer

See: How To Transfer A Domain Name

Please list safe practices on this, so we don't get cheated?

Avoid domain name appraisal scams and other domain scams.

Paypal can be risky if you haven't previously dealt with that buyer (as the buyer can file a false dispute and claim the money back once you've transferred the domain to them). Using escrow services is safer if you don't know the buyer or if it involves a high sale price.

Thanks a Lot for Information, it helped a lot.

A doubt regarding domain sale:
you advised not to use paypal and use escrow services like sedo.com, what the problem is Indian domains are worth low value comparing to gTLDs. so mostly names would be sold in $xxUSD range, now sedo itself charges $50 as commision. Which makes sale worth less for the seller.

ALso how to we apply for certification ?

you advised not to use paypal and use escrow services like sedo.com, what the problem is Indian domains are worth low value comparing to gTLDs. so mostly names would be sold in $xxUSD range, now sedo itself charges $50 as commision. Which makes sale worth less for the seller.

Just to be clear: If you know and trust the buyer, it should be safe enough to use Paypal. However, if you don't know the buyer and/or it involves a large transaction, you should protect yourself by using an escrow service etc.

If most of the sale proceeds will simply be eaten up in commission fees, then I'm not sure what the best course of action is - can another INForum member please help answer this question?

ALso how to we apply for certification ?

Are you talking about Sedo?

BTW, here's another thread that talks about where you can advertise your Indian domains.

Yes, to ask to mail or fax a form which is to signed by hand.
any other alternative

Other than fax, mail, or scanned copy by email, the only other alternative I can think of is if you send a .pdf document with your digital signature on it. However, I think you need to purchase a particular version of an Adobe product to do this. Also, I'm not sure if Sedo would accept this type of document - you'd have to check with them. At the end of the day, it's actually a good thing Sedo takes extra security precautions.

If most of the sale proceeds will simply be eaten up in commission fees, then I'm not sure what the best course of action is

What about looking for an escrow service which charges on a percentage basis rather than a flat fee?

If it's an $xx sale, normally your only choice is paypal. Using an escrow service for that size of transaction doesn't make economic sense. So, you either need to deal only with people you trust, or take the chance of losing the money.

If the transaction is $60 or more, you can do the transaction through Sedo. So long as the domain is parked with Sedo, they only take a 10% commission. You simply get the buyer to make an offer through Sedo for the amount you agreed to, and then you accept the offer through Sedo.

If you are going to get serious about buying and selling domains, it makes sense to get certified at Sedo. Nobody really likes Sedo much, but they are the main marketplace around.

Okay, I have Complete the certification process, Now i am a certified member:)

And why is there a risk of losing money in paypal?

And why is there a risk of losing money in paypal?

Buyer can pay you from a hacked paypal account.
Buyer can do a chargeback - paypal doesn't protect you unless it's a sale of a physical good.

Yes..its always safe to go through an escrow service..they do charge a fee for their services, but its definitely advisable..plus with paypal and CC there are always chances of charge backs and disputes..

Guys, I have a situation here
I am selling TrueLove.co.in to iphone3g, but he is making payment via paypal

But as Jeff mentioned Paypal can be dangerous with chargebacks.
Although, I Trust this guy but better safe than sorry. so please guide on how to complete this transaction as smoothly as possible.

I have never sold a single domain yet so I am not sure. I hear about paypal and ESCROW.
or if your domain is on Sedo, agree with the price and accpet the offer. Sedo charges are $60 - i think.

good luck

Park it on sedo,ask 3g to bid on it (min bid $60,i think),if someone else wants your domain and wants to pay more ,you get better value,also you get $50 for it anyways.(after sedo charges)[P.s. taking it for taken that you are sedo member].
Or you can put it in Ebay. Payment by Paypal(or paisapay if in india transaction).
Winwin for both you and 3g;)

You can even just park it at Sedo for one day and I think you'll be fine.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom