Google 'polluted internet' with classified material: Surveyor General of India

IT.com

cyberlawyer

After registering a preliminary enquiry against Google for alleged mapping of classified areas, CBI has sought help of Survey of India which has alleged that the internet giant continued to "pollute" the web with classified material despite being warned against it.

As the probe continues, Surveyor General of India Swarna Subba Rao alleged that the internet giant did not refrain from mentioning classified site even after having been asked not to do so.

"During their (Google's) Mapathon 2013 exercise, they collected lot of classified data and we had approached them to refrain from doing so when we came to know about it," Dr Rao told PTI from Dehradun.

He said, instead of desisting, Google "polluted the internet" with the coordinates of classified locations on the map. "They (Google) have expressed their desire to meet me at some hotel but I have been firm of a meeting in office," he said.

The Survey of India (SoI), the official mapping agency of the country, is the complainant in the case. After initial probe by Delhi Police, the case was handed over to the CBI as the investigation involved a company which is based in the US.

Google had not taken permission from SoI before organising a mapping competition in February-March 2013 in which they asked citizens to map their neighbourhoods, especially details related to hospitals and restaurants.

Read More @ Google 'polluted internet' with classified material: Surveyor General of India - The Times of India

If Google can map it, then any enemies of India can map it, so I'm not sure I see the point of the case.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom