GoDaddy sends McAfee security warning email

IT.com

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
A friend of mine forwarded me an email he received from GoDaddy informing him that McAfee “blacklisted” one of his domain names. The subject of the email was, “McAfee has blacklisted [domain name redacted]” and the email had GoDaddy’s logo and branding. In the heading of the email, the message was clear in bolded font: “Security warning: McAfee blacklisted your domain. It’s important you resolve this issue as soon as possible. Contact our security team if you need any help.”

The messaging provided a bit more information, although the owner of the domain name was encouraged to call GoDaddy to rectify:

During a routine security audit of our network, we found that [redacted domain name] (hosted via ns2. redacted .com,ns1. redacted .com) was blacklisted by McAfee. This audit was performed by the GoDaddy Security Unit to ensure the integrity and trust of the network.
You can find details of why your domain was blacklisted here: https://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/site/default.aspx?url=[redacted]
What this means for you.
A McAfee blacklisting means visitors with McAfee antivirus or who use Opera for browsing can’t see your website. It also means your site may be inaccessible to other networks too.

McAfee flagged your website because it has identified it as a potential threat based on its own web reputation ranking system. It’s ranking system is proprietary and crawls websites looking for indicators of malware and spam.

Source

I suppose it's a good thing at least that these two organizations (GoDaddy and McAfee) are working together and communicating with one another in order to resolve potential security issues to the benefit of GoDaddy customers.

Although maybe I'm misreading it, and GoDaddy have simply gotten hold of the security information without having to talk to McAfee.

Either way it gives the site owner the opportunity to clean up his site.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom