Godaddy Drops Uniregistry Domains

IT.com

owl

We have stopped registering or transferring Uniregistry domain names into our system. The dramatic price hike Uniregistry announced left us no choice. Until we can assess the impact on our current and potential customers, we have stopped new registrations.

GoDaddy works to deliver a great customer experience. We now have customers who will be paying up to 3,000 percent more for their renewal. That’s an extremely poor customer experience and does not reflect well on the domain name industry in general.

-Mike McLaughlin, Godaddy GM of Domains.

Reminds me of when NameCheap stopped support .XYZ domains.

What registrar and other extensions are next?

Wow! Kudos to Godaddy!

I wonder if *registrars* will ask the registries to sign price control agreements in the future?

Good idea, but registries are not obligated to do so.

If GD told registries they had to sign a price-freeze clause or risk being dropped, I'm sure a lot of registries would do it.

I wonder if *registrars* will ask the registries to sign price control agreements in the future?

Interesting, particularly as Berkens and Schilling go back a long way.

I own several .diet domains. I actually quite liked the extension, as there is always money in the diet industry.

Are you going to drop those domains @Jeff? Highly doubt they will sell.

What it the prices go up again?

I own several .diet domains. I actually quite liked the extension, as there is always money in the diet industry.

Tough one ... one of them is really good, the others are only "good". I'm thinking of hanging on to the one really good one by renewing out 10 years, but it bugs me to have to do that, and you're right, people would likely be hesitant to buy, no matter how good a domain it is. (I just made sure none of my Uniregistry domains were on autorenew).

End users don't want them, or know about these extensions, so very unlikely to sell to a business.

Investors will stay away since they are now afraid of Unireg domains and new gTLDs future price increases. Frank has shown he's doing what's best for his own pockets. He will do it again.

Don't renew out. That's just what he wants. Drop them.

Yup, everyone does it. You say, "it's only another $9 this year." for .com domains. In reality you need to drop and put that money to better use.

Frank doesn't want investors in his extensions, so don't buy those domains. :)

Thanks owl. It's easy to fall for the sunk cost fallacy.

Interesting, particularly as Berkens and Schilling go back a long way.

There should be .weightgain extensions as they would do just as good. Think about it for a minute.......it will come to you, I promise.

GD will never bring back these extensions. Unirea is try is competition for them after all.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom