Get Ready to Send SMSs in 22 Indian Languages!

IT.com

Ceres

Thanks to research by professors from IIT-Madras and others, in a year, SMSs can be sent in 22 Indian languages, including Tamil, Marathi and Assamese.

Further, messages can be transliterated from one language to another. The key to vernacular texting is 7-bit encoding developed by IIT profs and researchers from the Centre for Excellence in Wireless Technology (CEWiT).

Source: Soon SMS in your mother tongue

Taking into account that mobile phones are very popular in India, do you think this will be well-received and widely used in India?

Wow, that's great news. But, I think it will not ring much with most people.

SMS is mainly used by

(1) Organizations with pan-India presence who need to broadcast offers and/or notices. These are the ones who will be the happiest to use this technology.

(2) Individual users who send greeting messages during major festivals - these will be the other happy segment, especially persons having pan-India contacts.

(3) Then there is the "Hinglish" segment, actually the most prolific users of SMS (& chat) - the urban teens, MTV generation, for whom there is only one language - a mixture of Hindi and English written in the Roman script - aptly called Hinglish.

There is one segment, "niche small businesses", who if they are smart, can take advantage of this technology and reach India-wide markets. But, they will have to also integrate the business model smartly with the delivery sector - the web (good for us domainers) for digital goods/services and the couriers for physical deliverables.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Ceres.

I just updated the post with a 3rd point. I was trying to update it earlier but our local internet gateway went down for a couple of hours.

-Sri

Hi dear,
There are many websites which provides Free SMS facility. YouMint is one of them. It's a very good social networking website.
________
Fucktube.C Om

Last edited by a moderator:

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom